Transportation Options--To/From Miami

NHNEV2003

The question of transportation is posted on this board almost daily--many companies have been mentioned--many different prices.

For our cruise last week, we had to go with private vehicles due to my girlfriend's knee---need surgery next week, being on crutches, etc. She still wanted to cruise--obviously we had to make some adjustments.

We flew into FLL and took GoAirport Shuttle from the airport to the Hilton Miami Airport hotel in Miami.

The service was excellent--went outside at the airport and the car was right there--comfortable four door sedan. Straight to Miami, no stops, cost was $102, including gratuity.

Post-cruise we booked a private sedan with Larry's Limo--same pricing as Go Airport Shuttle---we were off the ship early and had to wait for the driver--we still ended up in the vehicle 15 minutes prior to our scheduled time. Vehicle was a Chevy Suburban and he took us directly to our hotel--Embassy Suites on 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale.

Yes--you can get shared shuttles for alot less- I get that. But we wanted to go door-to-door this trip, and we wanted to go at the times we wanted to go.

I would recommend both companies if you're looking for private vehicles for a door-to-door move.

I agree, I have seen similar posts almost daily. We are flying from OKC to either FLL or MIA May 26th or 27th and are trying to decide which date and which place is better to fly into. My thinking is that if we save $140/pp (there are 9 of us) on a flight to fly into FLL on Thursday before our flight, we will still have the added expenses of food and lodging for 2 days instead of just one night before the cruise. Add in the transportation to get from FLL to POM for 9 of us, and I honestly don't know that we would be saving any money.

Thank you for the tips on the companies to check with. I guess I need to be doing some research today. Southwest just opened their flights for June (we return June 4th) so I was hoping to buy our airfare today, but the price has already gone up $60 since 3:30 am when I was first looking!

I need to just make up my mind and decide because airfare is probably only going to continue to go up, and the prices probably won't come down like I would hope they would. :)

I agree, I have seen similar posts almost daily. We are flying from OKC to either FLL or MIA May 26th or 27th and are trying to decide which date and which place is better to fly into. My thinking is that if we save $140/pp (there are 9 of us) on a flight to fly into FLL on Thursday before our flight, we will still have the added expenses of food and lodging for 2 days instead of just one night before the cruise. Add in the transportation to get from FLL to POM for 9 of us, and I honestly don't know that we would be saving any money.

Thank you for the tips on the companies to check with. I guess I need to be doing some research today. Southwest just opened their flights for June (we return June 4th) so I was hoping to buy our airfare today, but the price has already gone up $60 since 3:30 am when I was first looking!

I need to just make up my mind and decide because airfare is probably only going to continue to go up, and the prices probably won't come down like I would hope they would. :)

I would see how much transport from FLL to POM will be for 9 then remember you have to return to FLL after the cruise

Usually the shuttles are $15 pp each way

private car service could be an option

are you saving much by flying into FLL vs MIA in the end only you can decide what the value is for you

I always consider time & frustration levels into my decisions :D

We've flown in one day before, two days before, stayed one night post-cruise, and last week stayed two nights post-cruise.

We've always flown into FLL since we fly Southwest, and we normally stayed in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street.

This trip we stayed in Miami at the Hilton Miami Airport hotel on Blue Lagoon Drive.

The best advice is to do what you feel comfortable with--one night, two nights, Fort Lauderdale or Miami, etc.

You're right to look at all the costs and compare your options--we stayed an additional night in Fort Lauderdale because the cost for two people to fly out Sunday was more than the cost of the hotel. And with the free breakfast at the hotel on Monday, we actually did ok.

With 9 people I think you can reserve a private van so that cost should be reasonable.