Birth certificate

bafinegan

Just wanted some re-assurance here. DH, DS and I have been on numerous cruises. We have always used a passport. This year, we decided to take DS and our (possibly) future DIL on a NY eve cruise. She does not have a passport, but because the cruise just goes to the Bahamas (according to Carnival website) a clear photocopy of her births certificate is all that is needed. I was kind of surprised that a certified copy wasn't required tho.

Anyone here cruised with just a copy of their Birth certificate? Were there any problems getting on the ship? (yea I kniow a passport is [referred, but she only has her official military one) Constructive comments are greatly appreciated And Merry Christmas!

Just wanted some re-assurance here. DH, DS and I have been on numerous cruises. We have always used a passport. This year, we decided to take DS and our (possibly) future DIL on a NY eve cruise. She does not have a passport, but because the cruise just goes to the Bahamas (according to Carnival website) a clear photocopy of her births certificate is all that is needed. I was kind of surprised that a certified copy wasn't required tho.

Anyone here cruised with just a copy of their Birth certificate? Were there any problems getting on the ship? (yea I kniow a passport is [referred, but she only has her official military one) Constructive comments are greatly appreciated And Merry Christmas!

What do you mean "official military one"? I do not believe that the military issues birth certificates (one of my sons was born in a military hospital in Virginia and has a Virginia BC). If you mean a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (which would be issued to those born on an overseas military base) then that needs to be an original.

If I am way off base with the above I have presented a photocopy of my BC and was not questioned at all by it.

What do you mean "official military one"? I do not believe that the military issues birth certificates (one of my sons was born in a military hospital in Virginia and has a Virginia BC). If you mean a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (which would be issued to those born on an overseas military base) then that needs to be an original.

If I am way off base with the above I have presented a photocopy of my BC and was not questioned at all by it.

The OP is talking about a different kind of passport, not birth certificate. If you work for the gov't or are military you can have an 'official' passport that can only be used when on gov't business, as opposed to our regular passports. You can have both. EM

We are sailing from jax next week going to the Bahamas I called carnival and they assured me a photo copy of our birth certificates is fine. I am kinda nervous too. I did cruise last year with a group of friends and I don't think I gave them my birth certificate they just looked at the copy and my DL

This is not a Carnival issue but a general security issue. According to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative guidelines:

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

I have only traveled with and have always been asked for an original birth certificate and driver's license on embarkation day. The only port in the Eastern/ Southern Caribbean that I have been asked to show my ID AND my birth certificate at the security checkpoint at the port (not the ship) has been on St. Thomas. More than likely since it's a US port, same rules as any other US port applies.

The OP is talking about a different kind of passport, not birth certificate. If you work for the gov't or are military you can have an 'official' passport that can only be used when on gov't business, as opposed to our regular passports. You can have both. EM

Okay, I see it now. She has an official military passport and will be sailing with a birth certificate because she can't use the military passport for non-government travel.

So OP, yes, a clear photocopy of a birth certificate is acceptable provided it is a government issued BC and not a hospital issued one and as long as she has a government issued photo ID to go with.

Any government issued ID CAN be used as ID......it's not a "passport", but it will suffice as ID, along with her DL....

And, if you don't want to do that, why can't you simply bring the REAL BC, instead of a copy? If it came from the STATE, it's fine and is what they want to see.....NOT the BC the hospital hands out when you go home from the hospital!!!

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear. She has the official military passport that is issued to military personal. It can't be used for personal travel. But thank you for the help

Baf

You were perfectly clear in what you were saying. js

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If you have the real BC, why would you bring a copy? It's like having a real Drivers License but only bring a copy of it.

I presented a copy of mine because at the time that I cruised there was a big controversy on this board about whether or not CCL meant what it said when it said photocopy. I wanted to find out for myself and did. If a copy is lost or stolen it is pretty much worthless to whoever finds it, whereas the original might have some value for identity theft. I think it's best to bring the original (for one I think it would be more helpful if one needed to enlist the help of the Consulate to get home) but it's also nice to know that a copy will do the trick in a pinch.