Has FDR done anything to benefit cruisers?

CruiserRob

Of course it does, you can look at it however you want to. I don't blame CEO's for the bad decisions their predecessors made either so why would I give them credit for the good decisions their predecessors made?

You might give them credit for not reversing previous good decisions or for changing previous bad decisions.

Of course it does, you can look at it however you want to. I don't blame CEO's for the bad decisions their predecessors made either so why would I give them credit for the good decisions their predecessors made?

We actually don't know if recent changes were in the works prior to Mr. Del Rio or not, but it seems like if one perceives the change as negative it was Mr. Del Rio, but if it is perceived as positive it was Mr. Sheehan.....pretty funny!

We actually don't know if recent changes were in the works prior to Mr. Del Rio or not, but it seems like if one perceives the change as negative it was Mr. Del Rio, but if it is perceived as positive it was Mr. Sheehan.....pretty funny!

Since Sheehan has been gone for almost a year it's likely that the new stuff was either Del Rio's brain child or by allowing it to be enacted it becomes his since he would have to sign off on it.

In business and politics, fair or not, that's often the way it works. The simple fact is, absent meeting minutes, there is almost no way to know who was involved in what decisions when. So the tendency is to attach responsibility to the person in charge whether they have anything to do with it or not, on the assumption they could always change things (which is not always true, I reiterate my point that despite accusations of micromanagement its not a one man show)

We don't know what decisions FDR made as opposed to his predecessor versus the board versus Andy versus ones that never made it up to C-Suite because we're not there. It's a fair thing to judge the CEO based on tone and direction and maybe even obvious CEO level decisions, anything below that is a factor of the company as a whole. Of course, if FDR ever says 'I decided' that too is fair game.

So to follow your logic anything that happens be it good or bad is to be attributed to the person in charge at the present time?

That's fine with me. However that logic must be applied evenly to cruise lines...hotel chains....corporations....countries....world leaders.

Exactly. Great post.

Edited by abe3

Not funny at all. How about the things that were already in place when Kevin Sheehan was there are his and the things that changed afterwards were FDR's. We know that he personally instituted the failed no food to the cabin rule, and if memory serves, that was the first change that he made. He has shown himself to be incredibly hands on, and you think he wouldn't approve the 2 raises in DSC, the service charge (sometimes for no service at all) etc etc.

Even his biggest supporters have come on and said he picks out the cutlery and the artwork himself, so he'll just let someone willy nilly change all of this stuff?

Now, that is funny!!

Edited by SuiteCruiser

It's funny how people bring up things and others say "well I don't know if FDR had anything to do with it since it was probably in the works". To me if he/she is CEO or whatever his/her title is from day 1 everything is on them the good and the bad.

That said I think FDR is doing a good job and it's not an easy job for sure. Some things I might not agree with like Margaritaville charges, but other things like room service, using promotions very effectively, SDP is a great idea, and DSC being given credit after the cruise if you fill out the form.

I find it hard to believe that anybody would think paying for room service now or making you jump through hoops to get your money back when you remove your DSC is a good thing.

Bill

If you enjoy the cruise line maybe its important that they are around as opposed to going out of business. You can't expect them to build new ships at about $1.5 billion a piece, renovate other ships and cover all that debt service without raising some revenue. Personally I don't think anything he has done is such a big deal. Virtually everyone that sails now either has free drinks of specialty dining included to me that's a huge plus.

The biggest problem most people seem to have with FDR is they don't want change, we over time things change.

I find it hard to believe that anybody would think paying for room service now or making you jump through hoops to get your money back when you remove your DSC is a good thing.

Bill

Talking about updated room service and also I do t believe in removing the DSC for the hard working crew and think if you are just going to remove because of spite then yes I am glad there are more hoops to go through. You might have a different opinion that's fine you are entitled to it.

If you enjoy the cruise line maybe its important that they are around as opposed to going out of business. You can't expect them to build new ships at about $1.5 billion a piece, renovate other ships and cover all that debt service without raising some revenue. Personally I don't think anything he has done is such a big deal. Virtually everyone that sails now either has free drinks of specialty dining included to me that's a huge plus.

The biggest problem most people seem to have with FDR is they don't want change, we over time things change.

Agree.

Since customers are not privy to decisions processes, and it is not really the customers business anyways. Therefore, we can only go with the public perception of the two individual.

I think the epsiode of "Undercover Boss" featuring Mr. Sheehan shows he is a caring person, he cares for his staff well being as well as the quality of his company's product. Whereas with Mr. Del Rio, whenever he mention his customers, he calls them captive audience and he is trying to squeeze more money once they get on board any of his ships.

Based on this, it is very difficult for people not to form perceptions of these two individuals. It is fairly natural for people to associate customer oriented policies with Mr. Sheenhan and money generating or shareholders oriented policies with Mr. Del Rio.

Since customers are not privy to decisions processes, and it is not really the customers business anyways. Therefore, we can only go with the public perception of the two individual.

I think the epsiode of "Undercover Boss" featuring Mr. Sheehan shows he is a caring person, he cares for his staff well being as well as the quality of his company's product. Whereas with Mr. Del Rio, whenever he mention his customers, he calls them captive audience and he is trying to squeeze more money once they get on board any of his ships.

Based on this, it is very difficult for people not to form perceptions of these two individuals. It is fairly natural for people to associate customer oriented policies with Mr. Sheenhan and money generating or shareholders oriented policies with Mr. Del Rio.

Good post - spot on!

In business and politics, fair or not, that's often the way it works. The simple fact is, absent meeting minutes, there is almost no way to know who was involved in what decisions when. So the tendency is to attach responsibility to the person in charge whether they have anything to do with it or not, on the assumption they could always change things (which is not always true, I reiterate my point that despite accusations of micromanagement its not a one man show)

We don't know what decisions FDR made as opposed to his predecessor versus the board versus Andy versus ones that never made it up to C-Suite because we're not there. It's a fair thing to judge the CEO based on tone and direction and maybe even obvious CEO level decisions, anything below that is a factor of the company as a whole. Of course, if FDR ever says 'I decided' that too is fair game.

Lol actually I was hinting to the fact that apparently everything wrong in our country from a social and/or political and every other aspect is being attributed to the previous administration but I agree with Abe....the current person in charge...of a company a cruise line a hospital a country should be the one to get the glory...the criticism....and take responsibility.

Yes sir I'm good with that idea.

Agree with all you said.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's usually a duck.

Bill

I'm not sure I see it as jumping through hoops to get dsc back and I actually think more pax will consider getting it back now

Why?

Well you might have to wait a few weeks to get it but that's a small price to pay to not have to stand online a discuss your issue face to face with guest services and debate it with them

Lol actually I was hinting to the fact that apparently everything wrong in our country from a social and/or political and every other aspect is being attributed to the previous administration but I agree with Abe....the current person in charge...of a company a cruise line a hospital a country should be the one to get the glory...the criticism....and take responsibility.

Yes sir I'm good with that idea.

I dont think anybody in their right mind is blaming Bush for the current mess the health insurance is in.

Bill

I think you still underestimate the amount of micromanaging that goes on, and I agree if I were on the Board I would prefer that the CEO be dealing with big picture, visionary type work.

Regarding the decision about the food ban, this is what Andy Stuart said:

"In fact, the decision to ban food came after Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. President and CEO Frank Del Rio sailed a Norwegian ship and noticed numerous dishes in the hallways, as well as passengers carrying plates loaded with food, sloshing over the sides and onto the carpet, Stuart said. When Del Rio returned from his cruise, he spoke with Stuart, and they decided to ask passengers not to transport food.

Stuart said the conversation lasted about 2 minutes. There was no motive, he added, except "how do we fix this issue?"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6382

Of course this decision went hand in hand with them putting a $7.95 fee on room service-you are naïve if you think one had nothing to do with the other.

Edited by boopsahoy

The USB charger ports are probably going to be standard issue before much longer, we had them at our seats on our flights to and from Europe in September (and this very well may be something that is planned for the multiple million dollar upgrade each ship is getting). It is a nice touch regardless of whose idea it was. The soap presents a logistical problem for the crew because something has to be done with all of those little soaps once they've been used but many people do like them (I like the liquid soap personally but soap isn't a deal maker or breaker by any stretch:)).

USB ports would certainly be a great addition. Most of us bringing extension cords are plugging in little 1.5A usb chargers into them anyway.

I always wondered if bar soap had any different effect on waste / filtration systems than the liquid soaps, although NCL can certainly choose the best bar soap for it's purposes. The trash issue seems at first like it would be negligible, but you are dealing with some 2,500 to 4,000 people!

USB ports would certainly be a great addition. Most of us bringing extension cords are plugging in little 1.5A usb chargers into them anyway.

I always wondered if bar soap had any different effect on waste / filtration systems than the liquid soaps, although NCL can certainly choose the best bar soap for it's purposes. The trash issue seems at first like it would be negligible, but you are dealing with some 2,500 to 4,000 people!

I doubt that the soap has that much affect on the waste/filtration systems, but they do have to do something with those left over bars, they can't just pitch them over the side. I remember when my mom was a housekeeper and they had boxes of used soap laying around that they would collect until they had enough to send in to be recycled. The bars take up more space in their wrapped state than liquid soap does and then they take up space again once they are used. As I said, this is more of an issue for the crew than anything. Our chargers have removable plugs so we can use a regular outlet or a USB port to charge our devices.

I guess anyone can look good on TV if they want to. You say that whenever Mr. Del Rio mentions his customers, he calls them captive audiences. Other than the one meeting, could you post links to all the other times or is it you think he only mentioned his customers only once ever.

Not everyone forms perceptions without knowing all the facts; I guess some do, but not everyone.

I guess anyone can look good on TV if they want to. You say that whenever Mr. Del Rio mentions his customers, he calls them captive audiences. Other than the one meeting, could you post links to all the other times or is it you think he only mentioned his customers only once ever.

Not everyone forms perceptions without knowing all the facts; I guess some do, but not everyone.

They can't. They will spin his worlds like the media does with politicians to paint the picture of what they believe and what hey want you to believe.

Edited by abe3

I doubt anyone has all of the facts, but some are able to look at things objectively and use the facts that we do have at our disposal and base our opinions on that.

Others just see anything negative and jump on to support the cruiseline, facts don't seem to matter.

Edited by SuiteCruiser