Has FDR done anything to benefit cruisers?

CruiserRob

I never understood why a very small minority of passengers were selfish enough to place these in the corridors, creating a risk that others might trip over them. That risk (of injury, and potential litigation) may be the reason this decision was made. I, for one, applaud it and it is the opposite of "punishing the passengers"!:)

Great post and spot on!

Great post and spot on!

Spot on?

Not really, only if one viewed such behavior as selfish.

Those doing it may view it as selfless. Or practical, or insert other reason.

Trays are still being left but for now the crew is, apparently, when certain posters walk by, are doing a quicker job to remove them.

Three cheers for FDR!

Spot on?

Not really, only if one viewed such behavior as selfish.

Those doing it may view it as selfless. Or practical, or insert other reason.

Trays are still being left but for now the crew is, apparently, when certain posters walk by, are doing a quicker job to remove them.

Three cheers for FDR!

Your opinion. To me putting trays in the hallway is selfish and the most important thing is that it is not safe.

I've said this before...

We sailed Eastern Caribbean on Getaway in 2014 the last week of May. Our booking promo was $50 OBC.

We have booked the Escape for May 2016, same itinerary, same week, same cabin location, and it was the same price as Getaway in 2014. Our booking promo this time was free UBP. That's what I call a good deal, folks.

I know some prices have increased, but the blanket statements about prices all increasing to cover the costs of the promos aren't true.

You are correct its not always true but where it is more than obvious is when a pax is monitoring prices in anticipation of booking a cruise or in an already booked cruise

In my case as I be stated I booked an inside triple at Rock bottom price in early April for jan with a true ksf and I had a FCC also so zero out of pocket at booking. I was very very happy with $1800 total for 3 on a 10 day out of NYC on the gem

I book with a big online Ta and of course I still get numerous emails for Ncl promos

Shortly after booking I start getting the free amenity emails so of course I think I missed something

Nope I missed absolutely nothing...first promo had the true ksf turning into a phony ksf

Then by May 1 the added free ubp and udp which were for ov and above so they didn't apply to me anyway....but apparently raised my cabin cost to $2100 anyway.

And then Ncl decides at some point to add the " free" stuff to insides and my cruise goes up to $2600 by summer 2015

Since we are 3 pax the free stuff only covers 2 pax so we still would have out of pocket

So I crunch some numbers as if I paid out of pocket for specialities and the estimated # if drinks we would have over 10 days and it still comes to less than $2600

Everyone's cruise is different but in my case one day my cruise with zero freebies is $1800 and the next day when the freebies were offered my price jumped to $2600

Ok maybe the price would have jumped $800 anyway but we all know that the actual cost to Ncl to give away the freebies is much much less than $800

You couldn't be further from the truth.

FDR prides himself on his hands-on approach to product development. Nearly everything, from the art to the silverware, on Escape was personally chosen or approved by him. He dictates the furnishing of cabins, lounges, restaurants, and just as effortlessly sets forth new passenger policies. The proliferation of new VPs notwithstanding, they are all there to help FDR realize his particular vision of what NCL should be.

FDR is NCL. Anyone who suggests otherwise doesn't have a clue.

If he's such a hands on manager maybe he should call the inspector himself and arrange a time and date to get the new gem slide inspected before dec 23.

IMHO the reason Ncl is getting so messed up is because he micromanages

The IT dept is a mess and can't update the website

The slide issue on the gem

Are just 2 things that come to mind and I personally attribute to fdr micromanaging

Fwiw I've known several micromanages in my day and honestly.....

They didn't get much done

Initiated new ideas and methods one day only to drop them the next

Their depts were a mess

The backlog was tremendous

The knee jerk reactions were laughable

They would threaten their subordinates

And

Were disliked by most who worked for them

Finally....

They seemed to move around a lot...dept to dept...company to company

Sound familiar?

Your opinion. To me putting trays in the hallway is selfish and the most important thing is that it is not safe.

Most people put the trays in the hallway because they were told to by their steward. Others put the trays in the hallway because that's what they do in a land based restaurant. Still others put them in the hallways because that is what they see others doing. Had little to nothing to do with anyone being "selfish".

What it boiled down to is the staff did not remove the trays in a timely manner for any number of reasons. Now the emphasis is on removing the trays timely and viola', no trays in the hallways. (Yes, an improvement that can be chalked up to Del Rio, but not one that I'm willing to pay extra for.)

Edited by sparks1093

You couldn't be further from the truth.

FDR prides himself on his hands-on approach to product development. Nearly everything, from the art to the silverware, on Escape was personally chosen or approved by him. He dictates the furnishing of cabins, lounges, restaurants, and just as effortlessly sets forth new passenger policies. The proliferation of new VPs notwithstanding, they are all there to help FDR realize his particular vision of what NCL should be.

FDR is NCL. Anyone who suggests otherwise doesn't have a clue.

This has been my understanding of how thinks have been working.

Most people put the trays in the hallway because they were told to by their steward. Others put the trays in the hallway because that's what they do in a land based restaurant. Still others put them in the hallways because that is what they see others doing. Had little to nothing to do with anyone being "selfish".

What it boiled down to is the staff did not remove the trays in a timely manner for any number of reasons. Now the emphasis is on removing the trays timely and viola', no trays in the hallways. (Yes, an improvement that can be chalked up to Del Rio, but not one that I'm willing to pay extra for.)

Precisely.

It is selfish to expect others to conform to one's own views, which may or may not be societal or customary.

You are correct its not always true but where it is more than obvious is when a pax is monitoring prices in anticipation of booking a cruise or in an already booked cruise

Okay, I also have an example for your scenario then. In June, 2014 we booked the Escape TA. In June, 2015, we canceled and rebooked the same cabin in order to get the free UBP, and saved several hundred dollars. Thanks FDR!

Okay, I also have an example for your scenario then. In June, 2014 we booked the Escape TA. In June, 2015, we canceled and rebooked the same cabin in order to get the free UBP, and saved several hundred dollars. Thanks FDR!

Yes, we did the same with one of our cruises. It was worth it for us even though we lost our deposit on the original booking as we are in the UK.

Three cheers for the market.

Yes, we did the same with one of our cruises. It was worth it for us even though we lost our deposit on the original booking as we are in the UK.

Three cheers for FDR he very well may have helped with the forfeit of the deposit.

Absolutely.

:)

Hey, we're starting to get on. :)

Anyway, I've just thought of another one. I'm sure it doesn't qualify if you are using made up definitions for the word benefit, but the move into Asia is a benefit to a lot of people.

It's a shame they made such a mess of introducing it though.

I think not.

A benefit must benefit everyone.

Food is too subjective. But I hope the Mdr quality went up, it needed too.

Fares go up and down, so no benefit to everyone there.

The SDP seems to be FDR's baby and that also benefits few, it must be purchased, and even on this thread, it has not been universally cheered.

Apparently less trays in the hallways. Assuming everyone cared that might be a positive benefit. But if the trays were there then not everyone cared.

This is just comical. Benefit everyone? Absolutely not. I don't have kids so I don't benefit from splash academy or anything else that are for kids but it is still a feature that many benefit from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:)

Hey, we're starting to get on. :)

Anyway, I've just thought of another one. I'm sure it doesn't qualify if you are using made up definitions for the word benefit, but the move into Asia is a benefit to a lot of people.

It's a shame they made such a mess of introducing it though.

China is potential. But if they fail it will impact many more people.

Don't see this as a universal benefit, but seeing FDR has few things to hang his hat on, certainly on this thread the broth looks meager, the we can give him this one. ;)

This is just comical. Benefit everyone? Absolutely not. I don't have kids so I don't benefit from splash academy or anything else that are for kids but it is still a feature that many benefit from.

Try thinking beyond your own situation.

Every kid not in Splash Academy is one likely in your hot tub with goggles, one at the bar crying, one at the pool splashing, one running up and down the hallways.

Don't benefit. Now that's comical.

Every kid not in Splash Academy is one likely in your hot tub with goggles, one at the bar crying, one at the pool splashing, one running up and down the hallways.

But if there was no splash academy then the majority of those kids wouldn't be on the ship in the first place.

You just don't get it. A benefit does NOT need to benefit everyone. The splash academy was just an example.