Has FDR done anything to benefit cruisers?

CruiserRob

It's true the CEO gets the blame, but if he is really micromanaging that much, the COO and the board should be getting involved, because time spent worrying about silverware means he's not doing his job as regards the other lines he oversees (or if he does it for all lines he is focusing on the wrong things).

For things like trays in hallways, I would think, no I would hope that it would go something like this. CEO spots an issue they don't like. They tell line management, make people stop leaving trays in hallways. Line management decides how to accomplish that. Same for M'ville, etc.

Now as to approving the Escape, a billion dollar build, and the plans for that, that IS in his purview. Service charge and DSC changes, yeah I could see that coming from head office.

And even if he is micromanaging, its the job of the line manager to push back when necessary on operational decisions, which means Stuart is not doing his job if he just lets suggested changes through.

That said, my overall point still stands, its not just FDR who should be blamed for changes, it's the line management team, either for rolling over on changes or backing them, regardless of source.

Did you forget that Del Rio dismissed a lot of corporate people and replaced them with friends and family ? Also, remember that Apollo caused some changes in the board and helped some of the board members out the door. Would you expect those who remained to oppose the CEO ???

All good, well and true business analysis, but coming up on one year in; are paying guests seeing an increase in the value they receive and are now being asked to pay incrementally increasing fees for?

I do not work for NCL or derive any investment income from them. I don't need to think up business scenarios, posture, or defend their decisions, or crank up the spin, spin, spin machine. I just need to know if the ship I get on is clean, fully functioning, the staff are gracious and prompt, the food delicious, and the entertainment enjoyable. That's NCL's job as far as I am concerned. For the increased charges and fees not only do I expect all of that, I *do* expect there to be improvements in incremental ways to enhance my experience. Radical idea, huh?

Cruise Critic is like reading a shareholders meeting sometimes. Who cares? Doesn't, or shouldn't, everyone here care more about their personal experiences than the corporate coffers?

I care about the "corporate coffers" because I have had the "privilege" of sailing on the last cruise of a line that was bankrupt, and I choose to try to avoid that experience again by doing some research on the financial condition of the cruise line.

If it means anything, I have no NCL cruises planned but have booked on other lines.

The UBP/UDP promos were in place before FDR came, so it's not a positive that he added.

Absolutely true. However UBP and UDP promos had happened other times under Sheehan, but only lasted about a month. The latest started right before Sheehan left, and they have never ended. Is that due to FDR? Don't know. However promos never lasted this long under Sheehan, so maybe? Something to consider at least, I suppose.

Getting rid of the fireworks was actually a long time in the making. It was a major pain for all involved and required a huge amount of man hours to make it happen.

Unfortunately, NCLH can't really afford what FDR wants to do with regards to his absurdly fast and expensive refurbishment program. Prices are up, slashing is rampant, people are continuing to lose their jobs left and right, and the really bad news is that onboard revenue is down despite all these fee increases.

It's turning into a complete mess.

Let's hope FDR sees the light and rolls back some of his implementation processes in his harebrained strategic plan before he sinks the NCL corporate ship.

Well. FDR did leave a bunch of $$ in my bank that was earmarked for NCL.

Stopping discounts on last minute deals left us with only one cruise this past season instead of the usual 4 cruises we budgeted for. :rolleyes:

FDR put a lot of money in my bank thanks to the rising share price. I may use it toward NCL cruises. Sorry.

He's counting on finding people to replace you. Sales and marketing are working like crazy to create new programs and launch a new campaign to draw in a different demographic.

His whole plan relies upon the assumption that people will spend considerably more for his upgraded fleet. If that's doesn't happen, the whole thing comes crashing down.

Barnacle, I have the utmost respect for your posts, and have no reason to disbelieve you.

But I'm dying of curiosity as to HOW you have some of these insights (not specifically what I quoted above, but other very recent posts about machinations at HQ. Are you an employee?

Cheers,

Stephen

Absolutely true. However UBP and UDP promos had happened other times under Sheehan, but only lasted about a month. The latest started right before Sheehan left, and they have never ended. Is that due to FDR? Don't know. However promos never lasted this long under Sheehan, so maybe? Something to consider at least, I suppose.

Definitely worth considering, it's also rather surprising to me that they've stayed, but I won't tell anyone that.

D'oh!

I believe that he has stated that he wants to mimic the marketing strategy of Oceania, which entices people to book with a lot of "free" stuff. Of course nothing is ever "free", so he's hoping that he bells and whistles will distract the customer (similar to the way the bells and whistles of a slot machine can lull the unwary). If you look at the NCL website and the Oceania website you will see a lot of similarities.

I believe that he has stated that he wants to mimic the marketing strategy of Oceania, which entices people to book with a lot of "free" stuff. Of course nothing is ever "free", so he's hoping that he bells and whistles will distract the customer (similar to the way the bells and whistles of a slot machine can lull the unwary). If you look at the NCL website and the Oceania website you will see a lot of similarities.

Absolutely. And I've previously said this, but the things being offered for free as promos, are things I've previously paid for, and would have continued to pay for. So I continue to be thrilled. I know in in the minority amongst CC posters, but I am very satisfied right now.

FDR put a lot of money in my bank thanks to the rising share price. I may use it toward NCL cruises. Sorry.

Barnacle, I have the utmost respect for your posts, and have no reason to disbelieve you.

But I'm dying of curiosity as to HOW you have some of these insights (not specifically what I quoted above, but other very recent posts about machinations at HQ. Are you an employee?

Cheers,

Stephen

A person would have to be very foolish to answer your question, don't you think ??

I've been following this thread with amusement, but I'm motivated to respond to your post because it is so directly opposite to my most recent experience.

We returned from our 11 day voyage on Pearl on Nov 30, thrilled with the cruise principally because the service was so fabulous, as good as any I've witnessed on well over 300 nights cruising, from Regent to Oceania, Celebrity, Viking, American Queen, Carnival and NCL (where we are Platinum). The service was especially good in the Summer Palace main dining room, where we took the majority of our meals. The only slightly "flat" spot was a new server in O'Sheehan's, mostly due to nerves. Contrasted by a new server in the Summer Palace (we met him on his very first dinner on a cruise ship, ever) who was excited to try to please.

There was no sign of short-handedness; in fact it seemed more like an elaborate ballet as the many servers and assistants managed to stay out of each others' way.

Perhaps it's different on the mega ships, on which I will never sail, as the Jewel and Dawn class ships are at the outside edge of what I prefer (we're booked on the 684 passenger Insignia for a 180 day around-the-world cruise starting in January).

Is this the result of FDR? I have absolutely no clue, but someone at NCL, likely aboard Pearl, is responsible for this happy, competent crew and the resulting fabulous service. BTW, the food was pretty good, too.

We were in a deck 10 amidships balcony cabin; no special perks.

I am glad you had a great time on your cruise on the Pearl....however, did you not say on previous posts that FDR is a good friend of yours or am I thinking of someone else? If so you may be a bit biased. :)

I am glad you had a great time on your cruise on the Pearl....however, did you not say on previous posts that FDR is a good friend of yours or am I thinking of someone else? If so you may be a bit biased. :)

Yes, I have met Frank and had dinners and lunch with him, formally and informally, and I hope he still considers me a friend.

BUT -- what does that have to do with my post? I specifically stated I didn't have a clue whether he had any responsibility for my experience, and I have made no claims for or against him. All I know is I had a great time, without spending any money other than shore excursions and a total of $43.77 of beer, Diet Pepsis and gifts...that doesn't endear me to the leaders :rolleyes:;)

Your troll like behaviour caused me to take a few minutes to examine your post history. in your current guise, you have been around on cc for only a couple of weeks.

My guess, possibly incorrect, is that the moderators removed you under a previous guise!

My clear conclusion, absolutely correct, is that you are a troll exhibiting extreme behaviour!

I'm glad someone here noticed. I'm surprised the moderators haven't blocked or reprimanded them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have met Frank and had dinners and lunch with him, formally and informally, and I hope he still considers me a friend.

BUT -- what does that have to do with my post? I specifically stated I didn't have a clue whether he had any responsibility for my experience, and I have made no claims for or against him. All I know is I had a great time, without spending any money other than shore excursions and a total of $43.77 of beer, Diet Pepsis and gifts...that doesn't endear me to the leaders :rolleyes:;)

How was the food in the MDR? I know your service was good, just wondering about the taste?

Glad you had a great time!

Actually the shore excursions likely would endear you to the leaders.

Harder to critique a friend negatively or his policies.

Absolutely. And I've previously said this, but the things being offered for free as promos, are things I've previously paid for, and would have continued to pay for. So I continue to be thrilled. I know in in the minority amongst CC posters, but I am very satisfied right now.

Glad to join your vocal minority.

So you have a financial interest.

For stock holders FDR is currently doing them quite well.

But some are downgrading them to sell.

Beware of China. Could cause the stock to Rollercoaster.

Should you views be discounted in this thread question?

We all be looking for discounts.

Yes, there will be some that would buy what is given away and it absolutely works for them, but NCL's prices have to be raised to cover the most expensive item they are including "free", which is the beverage package. So if a passenger takes one of the other items because that is what they would have been buying then the passenger would be over paying for that item. Another consideration (for me, I realize that everyone doesn't look at things the way that I do:)) is that instead of purchasing the item at a time convenient for the passenger the payment must be made at final payment day.

I priced one of the newer ships sailing out of NYC in the spring of 2017 and it came in at $3300 for a balcony cabin. CCL out of Baltimore came in at $1700 (IIRC) and had an eastern Caribbean itinerary (NCL was going to the Bahamas). NCL is better than CCL in many ways, but it's not better enough to make me shell out twice the money and I have seen no changes that would make me think that NCL is worth twice the money (and if I didn't want to go on CCL then RCCL was still at least $800 less than NCL). At least CCL is a known quantity to me and if I wanted to spend that kind of money on a cruise on an unknown I'd probably be checking out Princess or X or HAL.

Yes, there will be some that would buy what is given away and it absolutely works for them, but NCL's prices have to be raised to cover the most expensive item they are including "free", which is the beverage package.

SOMETIMES the prices have to be raised. Not always. The original example I gave in this thread is that my base fare for my Escape cruise in 2016 is identical to the base fare for my Getaway cruise in 2014. Same itinerary, same week, same cabin, etc. The point I originally made is that your blanket statement isn't always true. This time I get the UBP. Last time I got $50 OBC. The base fare was the same.

Edited by LrgPizza

Yes, there will be some that would buy what is given away and it absolutely works for them, but NCL's prices have to be raised to cover the most expensive item they are including "free", which is the beverage package. So if a passenger takes one of the other items because that is what they would have been buying then the passenger would be over paying for that item. Another consideration (for me, I realize that everyone doesn't look at things the way that I do:)) is that instead of purchasing the item at a time convenient for the passenger the payment must be made at final payment day.

The all inclusive idea does have me watching the base fares closely. I never intended to do either one of the Sky cruises, but when they become all inclusive, at any price I would feel I am paying for other's drinking. And having to put up with the resulting behaviors. It may take more research than previously required to get deals one can live with, but it is still happening for me. I like taking new itineraries rather than repeating one I already experienced, so my future research narrows every time I get off the ship.

SOMETIMES the prices have to be raised. Not always. The original example I gave in this thread is that my base fare for my Escape cruise in 2016 is identical to the base fare for my Getaway cruise in 2014. Same itinerary, same week, same cabin, etc. The point I originally made is that your blanket statement isn't always true. This time I get the UBP. Last time I got $50 OBC. The base fare was the same.

The price of the giveaways is included in the fare, one way or another. A company cannot survive by giving its products away, they have to recoup at least their cost. If they aren't including it in your fare than they are including it in someone else's. (For our cruise in October of this year I looked at the Gem and the Fascination and for almost identical itineraries the Gem was $800 more. Of course with "free" UBP or the other choices as options.)

Edited by sparks1093

The all inclusive idea does have me watching the base fares closely. I never intended to do either one of the Sky cruises, but when they become all inclusive, at any price I would feel I am paying for other's drinking. And having to put up with the resulting behaviors. It may take more research than previously required to get deals one can live with, but it is still happening for me. I like taking new itineraries rather than repeating one I already experienced, so my future research narrows every time I get off the ship.

I priced an all inclusive on the Sky for a 4 day and it came in at $1100 for a balcony. I'd much rather pony up a little more and get a 7 day cruise or pony up less and take a 4 day with someone else.

It's true the CEO gets the blame, but if he is really micromanaging that much, the COO and the board should be getting involved, because time spent worrying about silverware means he's not doing his job as regards the other lines he oversees (or if he does it for all lines he is focusing on the wrong things).

For things like trays in hallways, I would think, no I would hope that it would go something like this. CEO spots an issue they don't like. They tell line management, make people stop leaving trays in hallways. Line management decides how to accomplish that. Same for M'ville, etc.

Now as to approving the Escape, a billion dollar build, and the plans for that, that IS in his purview. Service charge and DSC changes, yeah I could see that coming from head office.

And even if he is micromanaging, its the job of the line manager to push back when necessary on operational decisions, which means Stuart is not doing his job if he just lets suggested changes through.

That said, my overall point still stands, its not just FDR who should be blamed for changes, it's the line management team, either for rolling over on changes or backing them, regardless of source.

Just to add to this - we do not know how many, (if any), hare-brained schemes have been blocked by the line management before they were implemented - there could have been some real doozies we never got to argue about.

Yes, there will be some that would buy what is given away and it absolutely works for them, but NCL's prices have to be raised to cover the most expensive item they are including "free", which is the beverage package.

You are looking at this from the assumption that NCL decided that they want to keep on offering the extras and therefore need to increase the base fare to fund that offer. That may well be the case.

However, another possibility (one that, without any sort of inside knowledge, I think is possibly more likely) is that the starting point is that they want to raise the base fares. Continuing to offer the freebies is a way of sweetening that deal. They will know far better than the majority of us how this affects shipboard spending, and given that many people don't spend much on drinks, the cost to them of the deals will be a lot less than the sales value of the package.

In fact, I would guess that it is actually somewhere between the two. Say they want to increase the fares by $300. Keep on the deals as a sweetener, and then that increase doesn't look so bad. In fact, they can now increase the fares by $500 with the no effect on the level of bookings, and the average cost of the package to NCL is less than the $200 so they win all ways. All those numbers are for illustration only, by the way.