Inside cabin with infant

ggooglyboogly

Hey everyone, wondering if anyone has ever cruised with an infant in an inside cabin?

We're expecting a baby in February and will be cruising soon after he turns 6 months old, nice getaway for us and nice chance for the family to spend some time with him.

We're looking at book a cabin near waterfront or pool deck so if he cries late at night we (aka - me) have quick access to bring him outside to avoid bothering the cabins next to us.

If anyone can share any experiences cruising with an infant on an inside cabin with NCL i'd love to hear them!

honestly it really depends on what kind of baby you have - with my first child absolutely it would have been fine with my second child absolutely not she cried all the time

You really won't know until after you have your baby and see what their temperament is - I suggest not booking anything until after you have the baby to see what kind of room you should get

honestly it really depends on what kind of baby you have - with my first child absolutely it would have been fine with my second child absolutely not she cried all the time

You really won't know until after you have your baby and see what their temperament is - I suggest not booking anything until after you have the baby to see what kind of room you should get

This.

Had I booked a trip with DS2 based on DS1's personality, I would have been in a lot of trouble. Wait...I did that...and ended up rocking him to sleep every night in the hotel lobby at 3am!

Everyone in the world could give you advice, but really you're going to have to see how you and your baby are doing.

Personally we find having a balcony essential, as the boys need darkness and quiet to sleep. That would mean everyone goes to bed at 8pm, which isn't going to happen!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We cruised with our son when he turned 7 months old on the Jewel, we had a oceanview but except for the window that is the same thing as an inside. Room was tiny, just enough for the bed on one side and crib right next to it, but who cares when are you ever in the room but to sleep anyway?

The crew set us up a pack n play next to the bed, the rocking motion of the ship lulled him to sleep every night, it was the most wonderful week we had had with him. Even getting him a passport was fun at that age, the people working at the post office never had someone so young come in to get one (he was 3 months old when we started the process) and had a lot of fun taking his pictures.

During the evenings we put him in his stroller and rolled him right up to the bars and he would sleep and we would have a nice evening. He was the hit of the ship, everyone loves a baby.

Here's our review of the cruise and what it was like with a little man if you want to read more:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1560584

I recommend cruises to people with new kids all the time, no one believes me, always say it's a crazy idea, but it's a week where you have to do nothing at all, no cooking, no cleaning, nothing but relaxing and hanging out with your little one.

Edited by Jezo

Hey everyone, wondering if anyone has ever cruised with an infant in an inside cabin?

We're expecting a baby in February and will be cruising soon after he turns 6 months old, nice getaway for us and nice chance for the family to spend some time with him.

We're looking at book a cabin near waterfront or pool deck so if he cries late at night we (aka - me) have quick access to bring him outside to avoid bothering the cabins next to us.

If anyone can share any experiences cruising with an infant on an inside cabin with NCL i'd love to hear them!

Suggest you also ask this on the Family Forum since lots of experienced parents there.

I hope you realize how small an inside cabin is. I can't imagine room for a pack n play crib. Also, after you put baby down for the night, where do you plan to sit? Only the bed is available.

We sailed with our son in an inside when he was 11 months old. I didn't anticipate any issues, and we didn't experience any. I guess I never gave it a second thought, and I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't just go for it.

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks to all who responded, I think i'll pony up for a balcony on this one.

Even if he falls asleep at 8, i can relax out there and look out at the ocean!

Now i just need to choose a ship, the Escape sure looks nice!

I can't even imagine being in an inside with a baby although financially I can. Some babies might be okay, others not so much. I'd sure like the balcony space or I'd feel too confined.

crib. Also, after you put baby down for the night, where do you plan to sit? Only the bed is available.

I never even considered sitting in my room on a cruise, for us it's just a place to sleep or watch tv in bed, if we want to sit somewhere there is a whole ship for us to lounge around in.

I never even considered sitting in my room on a cruise, for us it's just a place to sleep or watch tv in bed, if we want to sit somewhere there is a whole ship for us to lounge around in.

Probably not a great idea to lounge around the ship when a baby is sleeping in the cabin. I had some babies who would have been fine, and some not so much.

We cruised with DS at 10 months on Epic. Before him we cruised regularly in inside cabins, but I am so glad we had a balcony for that trip!! DS sleeps really well but ONLY in his crib/pack n play when he can not see or hear you. So we hung out on the balcony while he napped or slept in the little hallway between the shower and toilet stall (only on Epic) with the curtain pulled between him and the rest of the room. Have a mini suite on Breakaway booked for next year and I am really nervous because (unlike the minis on Dawn which we originally had, then our cruise was cancelled) there is no curtain so no way to really separate him from us. Crossing fingers and hoping for the best :)

If we had the kind of baby who would fall asleep in a stroller and be content there while we wandered around the ship, an inside cabin would have been fine, but that would never happen with DS. We would all be miserable. Maybe when he is older and can stay up later and sleep on the top bunk we will try it.

Edit: It actually may have been easier around 6 months, because at that point he would still sleep ok when I wore him in the Ergo, but again this is one of those things you just don't know ahead of time.

Edited by gymbomb

That works fine if you don't have a baby, or if you have one who is happy to sleep in a stroller, but no chance of that if you have a baby who needs to be in bed to sleep!!

Like others have said, this will really depend on the model baby you get and there's no way of know until it's here. My first was a high needs baby (and still is as an 11 year old to some extent) and it would have been a nightmare stuck in one very small room with him. My second was a much happier baby and better sleeper, but still woke many times at night at that age and didn't always feel the need to go back to sleep in those wee hours. Neither of my boys ever did more than doze for 10 minutes in a stroller.

It has been a long time since my daughter was an infant and our cruises with her were not on NCL , but we always had an inside cabin. She was a delight to travel with.

Like others said, it depends on the baby's personality, but there are some things you can do to get a baby travel ready.

From the first day at home from the hospital, put the baby down to nap with some type of background noise (TV voices, music, etc). The baby will learn to fall asleep with noise. Vary where the child is placed to sleep,: crib, baby seat, playpen, on the go in a stroller. Sleep will not be associated with just one crib in a very quiet room.

Hold the baby in your arms while in the shower to get the baby used to other means of bathing besides a tub. It helps to have your spouse available with a towel to hand the baby off to for drying.

If bottle feeding, have the baby become use to having the temperature of the formula cool or at room temperature. It saves the problem of needing to heat formula up when pulling the bottle from a ice chest.

Having my daughter "trained" certainly made travel with an infant doable.

I agree with you but OP has an infant. When the infant is put to sleep in cabin, the OP can't very well lounge around the rest of the ship. Would YOU leave an infant alone in a cabin???

We took our one year old on a cruise in an oceanview cabin. Close enough to an inside in my book. He did great. The movement of the ship is great for putting them to sleep and the crew absolutely loves children.

The room steward asked how we wanted the sleeping arrangements. In our case, we just slept with him between us. Our friends put their son (same age) in a pack-n-play at the bottom of the bed. It's doable, but there won't be a lot of room to walk around it. A small sacrifice in my opinion.

We cruised with our son when he turned 7 months old on the Jewel, we had a oceanview but except for the window that is the same thing as an inside. Room was tiny, just enough for the bed on one side and crib right next to it, but who cares when are you ever in the room but to sleep anyway?

The crew set us up a pack n play next to the bed, the rocking motion of the ship lulled him to sleep every night, it was the most wonderful week we had had with him. Even getting him a passport was fun at that age, the people working at the post office never had someone so young come in to get one (he was 3 months old when we started the process) and had a lot of fun taking his pictures.

During the evenings we put him in his stroller and rolled him right up to the bars and he would sleep and we would have a nice evening. He was the hit of the ship, everyone loves a baby.

Here's our review of the cruise and what it was like with a little man if you want to read more:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1560584

I recommend cruises to people with new kids all the time, no one believes me, always say it's a crazy idea, but it's a week where you have to do nothing at all, no cooking, no cleaning, nothing but relaxing and hanging out with your little one.

To those picking on PP, they explain quite clearly here that they *do* have a baby and they did *not* leave him alone in the room.

With a baby, I would have done this, too. Wear baby or put her in a stroller, then go everywhere/anywhere that isn't smoky. With our 4.5 year old, we are springing for a balcony, because she won't sleep anywhere anymore.

And the best way to ensure that your baby does not become one of those babies who will only sleep in a crib is to not get them used to one in the first place. Do lots of babywearing naps and stroller naps and cosleeping naps and carseat naps from the start. Start traveling early, and do it often.

I took my daughter on trips to visit family from the age of six weeks. She never had any issues sleeping anywhere. My cousin just took her daughter on their very first trip at 13 months and it was a nightmare. She would *not* sleep in the hotel room since she had always slept in the same room her whole life. This is not a fussy baby, either. She sleeps fine at home, so not an issue of natural temperment. She had just been trained to associate that one room with sleep.