Review on Nationwide Cruise Insurance

hunterjackson

Don't know how long they have had it, but we purchased Nationwide Cruise Insurance through a compete website.

This has several cruise specific items like when your itinerary changes, they pay a claim and several other things.

We had an itinerary change BEFORE our cruise (there are different payouts based on when the change happens).

After getting back, I submitted the claim to Nationwide, and within a few days, we had checks for $750 per person. They have different levels that pay different amounts.

Was pretty awesome!

I would definitely think about this policy for hurricane season!

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know how long they have had it, but we purchased Nationwide Cruise Insurance through a compete website.

This has several cruise specific items like when your itinerary changes, they pay a claim and several other things.

We had an itinerary change BEFORE our cruise (there are different payouts based on when the change happens).

After getting back, I submitted the claim to Nationwide, and within a few days, we had checks for $750 per person. They have different levels that pay different amounts.

Was pretty awesome!

What was your claim for ??

If the itinerary changed were there extra costs associated with the changes?

confused

What was your claim for ??

If the itinerary changed were there extra costs associated with the changes?

confused

We actually purchased this insurance for our trip. We haven't made a claim yet,but if there is an itinerary change the policy states it is supposed to reimburse the set $750. It does stipulate it has to happen/be announced before the sail date.

Nice to know they do payout for it!

We actually purchased this insurance for our trip. We haven't made a claim yet,but if there is an itinerary change the policy states it is supposed to reimburse the set $750. It does stipulate it has to happen/be announced before the sail date.

Nice to know they do payout for it!

I wonder if it is as simple as they say ??

If the embarkation port changes due to storm I can see it but not if just a port stop change

interesting though

Edited by LHT28

If the embarkation port changes due to storm I can see it but not if just a port stop change

interesting though

Maybe the OP will let us know. I thought it was a neat perk, but I also figure a lot of port changes happen during the cruise so it may not be that helpful. I think there is a small exclusion to it as well. Will check on that later. I know you do have to show proof of the itinerary change to claim it.

Maybe the OP will let us know. I thought it was a neat perk, but I also figure a lot of port changes happen during the cruise so it may not be that helpful. I think there is a small exclusion to it as well. Will check on that later. I know you do have to show proof of the itinerary change to claim it.
Port Of Call Changes (Itinerary Change)

Provides a one-time benefit of up to $1250 per person for the inconvenience of an itinerary change by the cruise line prior to departure, as long as you go on the cruise.

This is a snippet from Nationwide's page. The plan details for the plan I purchased simply states they will pay the max allowed for the plan once the itinerary change is documented. It does not say only for expenses pre-paid etc or anything else.

I purchased their policy because the price was reasonable and I thought the extra cruise type coverage like this was a plus. They also compensate for itinerary changes after departure and for mechanical issues.

Was pretty awesome!

I went and read this policy; you must have purchased the Choice plan.

This policy does not state every insured gets $750 for an itinerary change. It states if the itinerary is changed and this prevents you from participating from any prepaid activities, you are covered for these nonrefundable losses up to $750.

Did you each actually have nonrefundable, prepaid activities that you missed because of this change that totaled $750?

AmativeDame - read the actual policy under the heading "Itinerary Change" (top of page 20). It does say this is for nonrefundable activities you've already paid for.

No insurance company is going to give away money just because there was an itinerary change.

Edited by 6rugrats

This policy does not state every insured gets $750 for an itinerary change. It states if the itinerary is changed and this prevents you from participating from any prepaid activities, you are covered for these nonrefundable losses up to $750.

Thanks RUgrats

That is what I was was thinking

I did not read the policy as it did not pertain to me I was just curious

but it makes more sense now ;)

People should always read the fine print :D

Thanks RUgrats

That is what I was was thinking

I did not read the policy as it did not pertain to me I was just curious

but it makes more sense now ;)

People should always read the fine print :D

Yes, after reading the policy I was curious, and called Nationwide. They do not send $750 checks to each insured simply because your itinerary changed. You must have nonrefundable, prepaid losses for the missed port! Then, they will reimburse you for these losses up to your policy maximum, in this case $750.

As quoted in post # 7 (which is for their Luxury Plan), it does have this verbiage on their quote page. But if you read the actual policy under "Port of Call Change", it then says, "See coverage details below". Then it explains you must have incurred a loss.

You always have to read the actual policy, not rely on marketing.

I remain confused by OP's post, but want people to realize what this policy actually covers.

Edited by 6rugrats

• 2 weeks later...

interesting though

It was simple, to be honest.

If it changes before the start of the cruise, you get paid more. if it changes while on the cruise do to weather or something, it is paid at a lower benefit level.

Did you each actually have nonrefundable, prepaid activities that you missed because of this change that totaled $750?

AmativeDame - read the actual policy under the heading "Itinerary Change" (top of page 20). It does say this is for nonrefundable activities you've already paid for.

No insurance company is going to give away money just because there was an itinerary change.

You are incorrect. I had no prepaid items and this is what it states:

ITINERARY CHANGE

In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the

Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

ITINERARY CHANGE – INCONVENIENCE

In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary after Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum

NSHTC 2500 NW Cruise – Choice – Ed. 12/1/14

Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented; 1) fire; or 2) mechanical breakdown; or 3) virus that

affects 30% or more passengers; or 4) an event on board that suspends 30% or more of the ship’s services for 24 hours; or

5) a delay leaving or arriving at/from a Port of Call of more than 3 hours from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.