On board the Journey in the Caribbean

joek

It was all delayed getting off yesterday and annoying for the ship as last minute US Immigration asked us to change pier to help them out. Ship seemed to be doing a great job of getting people off early who had stricter time schedules. I was off early and it was painless.

Have a great Caribbean cruise on Journey. I'm already wishing I was still on the ship. Well I wish I never had to get off! St Maarten front of the queue with two other smaller ships (Riviera and Horizon)😎

image_zpsuoltad3u.jpeg

Phil

Still rocking and rolling, 16 knots. Evidently not using stabilizers, but I could be wrong. Sun out at times, but no rain today..so far.

We are happy to find that the pianist Max is on board till January when he returns to the Quest. Heike is , as usual, charming and caring, and Captain Johannes is highly visible and friendly.

joek

There was an incident on Celebrity Reflection in Miami yesterday:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2288308

Brief version: some jacka$$ said as disembarking "we left a bomb on board." There is a picture on the above thread of him being led off in handcuffs. Just speculation, but this may be why Journey was asked to move piers.

There was an incident on Celebrity Reflection in Miami yesterday:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2288308

Brief version: some jacka$$ said as disembarking "we left a bomb on board." There is a picture on the above thread of him being led off in handcuffs. Just speculation, but this may be why Journey was asked to move piers.

We arrived into Miami on Friday. The reason for the change was to assist US Immigration as there are no automated facilities at the J Terminal for checking ESTAs etc and immigration staff would have had to come onboard ship to do the checks.

Phil

We arrived into Miami on Friday. The reason for the change was to assist US Immigration as there are no automated facilities at the J Terminal for checking ESTAs etc and immigration staff would have had to come onboard ship to do the checks.

Phil

Thanks for the information Phil. Surprised that Terminal J does not have what they need, especially as several other lines use terminal J as well. Just curious - where did they berth you ? With the larger ships ? Hope you had a wonderful cruise, and thanks for the beautiful photo !

Edited by Host Andy

Thanks for the information Phil. Surprised that Terminal J does not have what they need, especially as several other lines use terminal J as well. Just curious - where did they berth you ? With the larger ships ? Hope you had a wonderful cruise, and thanks for the beautiful photo !

Hi Andy. We were berthed at terminal E I think with the large ships. It was a great cruise:cool:

Phil

Sailing to Guadaloupe, arrive at 1 pm, depart 9 pm. Smoother seas today. We usually choose midship cabins but were upgraded to aft facing suite this trip. Great size and balcony but definitely more movement. The show last night was just so-so.

As we all know, and agree, food is very subjective. There is a thread about the main dining room on the last Transtlantic stating that the quality has diminished. I'm sure that many will agree with that. We did a B2B with the Canary Islands cruise first and the Transatlantic second and ate more times than usual in the main dining room, probably half the time, which is more than we normally do. I thought the selection was OK since I, too, can probably recite the menus by heart. The quality and service was excellent from my perspective. The last night we were even able to reserve the Captain's table for our second place trivia team's farewell dinner, which was one of the most delicious and joyous dinners we've had at sea!

Quick question about what kind of shirts most men are wearing in the main dining room for dinner. I'll be on a Panama Canal cruise shortly and am wondering if most men wear short sleeve polo shirts, or long sleeve dress shirts. Thanks!

Hi Luv2travel,

I think you will find a combination of all of the above. Here's a link to what Azamara suggests : https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/packing-tips

Hope this helps !

Quick follow up. Is the main dining room on the cool side, especially in the evenings? (The Mrs will want to know.)

Also for a group of 4, are there tables in the MDR for that size or will we be placed at a larger table?

Thanks again!

Hi Luv2travel,

I have not sailed on Azamara in a few years, so I cannot answer the MDR temperature question. Hopefully, others will chime in on this. My suggestion is to pack a lightweight sweater, which should solve any concerns.

There are tables for 4, in the in the Discoveries Restaurant. Hope this helps !

Edited by Host Andy

I have done 3 cruises with Azamara, 2 on Quest and 1 on Journey. On the first 2 ( one on each ship) I found Discoveries(MDR) to be very comfortable, but on my recent Far East cruise I found it to be quite chilly, so I would advise taking a cardigan or wrap.

There are plenty of tables for 4 - it's up to you whether you ask for a table for 4 or choose to join others on larger tables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We see all types of attire, some unsuitable. Most men wear collared knit or golf shirts, some wear long sleeved dress shirts, a few wear jackets. Ladies range from sport clothes to dressy pants sets to nice dresses. In short, anything goes.

It is cool on board and many ladies wear light jackets or sweaters.

Sailing to Guadaloupe, arrive at 1 pm, depart 9 pm. Smoother seas today. We usually choose midship cabins but were upgraded to aft facing suite this trip. Great size and balcony but definitely more movement. The show last night was just so-so.

Glad to hear that the seas are smoother for you.

Congratulations on your upgrade. Now a question or two pertaining to the upgrade. Would you be willing to explain in greater detail? Was this an upgrade that you received once onboard? Are you in fact a Le Club Voyage member and if so are you in the top tier? Was the upgrade complimentary or do you pay an "up charge"?

Not trying to be nosey (although some may think the contrary) but rather trying to determine (if there is such a thing) how the magical upgrade fairy sprinkles her dust. :-)

Thanks in advance. Continue to enjoy life onboard.

Just luck, I guess. Found out when we checked in.

Are you Le Club Voyage members? Is this your first cruise on Azamara. If not how many times have you travelled with them. Did you pay for your upgrade or it was complimentary.

Good for your "score". Continue to enjoy.

on the recent T/A...and we paid...I had "signed up" for the $399 upgrade...and we were offered it..once I declined...because I was worried about the "under the pool" aspect re noise..and then decided it was worth it!!! YES...it was!!! If for nothing else...the extra space!!

Hoping for it again...for the spring T/A!!! Our "butler" was great..."Elroy"..and appreciated his attention and some of the added perks..but the space..was the best addition!..at least for us!!!

I was told that the "offers"..at least from a $$ stand-point..are based on your "standings" with the "Club"...we are "Discover Plus"...so I think that it why we were offered the up-grade..that..and there were only 550 passengers on board..based on the CD's stats. LuAnn