HAL Suite perks not found on Carnival...

TylerRose

Last weekend we celebrated my Dad's 75th birthday aboard the Carnival Sensation. (They live near its home port of Orlando & we needed a weekend event for 12)

I have been pampered in HAL suites the past 10 years & this was our first time aboard a Carnival cruise ship.

I will leave the actual cruise review to others... I am writing about the suite life.

Embarkation was quick! It took about 25 minutes for our suite to be called for boarding after check in at a "special" guest services area reserved for weddings, suites, & other events at 10:45AM.

An older ship, our suite was a "remodel". It was on a lower deck- mid ship, & had a large pillar in the middle of the cabin beside our bed. (I banged in to it more times than I care to admit!)

A very comfortable cabin size for 4 adults- with a good sized veranda... (2 loungers & 2 chairs)

The sofa converted to a queen sized bed later on that embarkation day... and remained that way the rest of the cruise?

She was a tired ship... but cared for & met mostly all our needs.

It was a wonderful 75th celebration & my Dad was thrilled.

We created many special memories over this 4 day multigenerational celebration.

AND....

It was a good reminder of what makes the privilege of staying in a HAL suite extra special...

I missed the Neptune lounge immensely! I wondered if other Carnival ships had a "quiet place" for suite guests to grab a nosh, or relax in the calm. (I was with 12 relatives--- I wanted to hide sometimes!)

HALs concierge Service was excellent on all 9 of the ships we have sailed. This ship did not have one available for its suite guests.

I had hoped to hold a birthday cocktail party before dinner in our cabin... but it was not an option.

My room was cleaned daily & beds were turned down in evening... but I never met my room steward to thank them.

The sofa was never folded back in place allowing seating for large family visits as HAL always does.

There is no shortage of food options on Carnival....

But, the calm of the suite breakfast area is a perk I never fully appreciated or took advantage of... we usually eat light in neptune & as soon as I wake I wander that way for coffee.

HALs laundry & dry cleaning have always allowed us to pack less... and look sharp!

My son actually flew in from college with a suitcase of his dirty laundry! Seriously- I couldn't believe it. He assumed Carnival had complimentary laundry & dry cleaning for suites as HAL does. We will all be laughing about that one for years...

The Carnival Sensation met most of the needs I have for a good cruise.

However, the suite price was nearly the same as a suite booked on HAL.

The perks were not.

It was a good reminder that HAL is more than cloth tablecloths and fresh flowers!

Thanks for the comparison. Made for interesting reading.

While the Suite amenities are not the same on NCL, I was well pleased with the 'Suite Life' on my first NCL cruise last summer. I missed Neptune Lounge somewhat but as to amenities, that really was the major difference. Laundry and dry cleaning were not included but it was only a 7 day cruise so it really didn't matter much to me.

Happy your dad had a great 75th Celebration. Wishes for many more happy years in good health.

Thanks for the comparison.

As they say, two different cruise lines including the price to sail.

Keith

Interesting you say that as the price was just slightly higher on NCL than I pay for "SA" suites on HAL as a solo for each line.

On NCL, I did get some benefits of real $$ value that HAL does not provide for "SA" suites so in the end though the fare was higher on NCL for comparable cabin, the benefits they gave lowered the actual cost.

The Penthouse Cabin I occupied was just about the same size though laid out differently. I like some things about HAL's "SA" better and definitely some things about NCL's better. :) I loved my cabin steward and this was the first time I ever had a butler that was actually helpful, pleasant and 'useful'. I "X", we used to tip them to stay and away and leave us alone unless we contacted them. :rolleyes:

I'll always love the people of HAL. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Krazy Kruizers, posting this especially for you

(Don't tell my sis... oh wait, she will probably see it on her own and threaten me!)

Here is an image of my niece "mastering the pole"...

We added to to the silly stories list of a wonderful family celebration!

558884298_FullSizeRender52.jpg.4e95627679ca27045edf8c13f6e05407.jpg

(Don't tell my sis... oh wait, she will probably see it on her own and threaten me!)

[ATTACH]371034[/ATTACH]

Thank you for the picture.

I love it. Still can't believe a cabin with a pole in it. I showed it to my DH.

On one of the NCL ships we were on years ago, there were only 2 closets and one of them had a pole in it taking away a lot of closet space. Wish I had taken a picture of it.

Glad you all enjoyed your "pole" dances.

[ATTACH]371034[/ATTACH]

Wow, that's a riot.

From the laughter on all the faces in the photo, you were good sports about the 'pole'. :)