Experience with HAL's transatlantic airfare

Jade13

We want to know what experience anyone has had with booking one way international airfare with HAL and pricing (which of course will vary)?

We are waiting for the booking dates to open but we did find out that unlike Celebrity one cannot book direct with the cruise line if they have the cruise booked with an outside agent. So, we would have to have our agent handle.

We rarely use cruise line air but for most international flights, most airlines do not sell true one way air (We know Aer Lingus does and so does Iceland Air). In the past we have booked flights from the US to Rome with Celebrity Choice Air for under $500.00 each including all taxes and fees. Others have reported still getting those type of rates to/from both Barcelona and Rome.

For those who have booked one way flights with HAL, has the pricing been that competitive?

Edited by Jade13

Yes, for one-ways to Copenhagen and to Barcelona we got deals that were well below anything I could find myself. IIRC about 40% less.

Under $500.00? Under $600.00? I am trying to find out if what they have been offering is truly half of the round trip cost/true one way ticket?

Edited by Jade13

Under $500.00? Under $600.00? I am trying to find out if what they have been offering is truly half of the round trip cost/true one way ticket?
No, not that cheap. I don't remember exactly but I'm thinking it was around $800 pp, and that was much better than any one-way prices that I could find.

HAL air is really good for any international flights, especially one-way. Only once have we found a better deal ourselves.

I agree. I booked a TA cruise out of Barcelona within 2 weeks of sailing (October 2014) and HAL provided the best airfare from Ontario, Canada. And, only one change of planes in Philly.

Edited by Sue from Canada

Not with HAL but another Carnival Corp. line (so I would expect the prices would be similar), I was able to get a one-way fare for less than 25% of what it would have been if I had booked through the airline. They also gave me a choice of flights and connecting airports. Definitely something to look into since one-way fares to Europe are often more than round-trip.

Just ask HAL, there's no need to accept whatever they offer if it isn't to your taste.

They won't discuss airfare if your cruise is booked through an outside agent. Totally different than Celebrity where you can talk directly to the air department or go right to their online booking site and see and book your flights regardless if your cruise is booked through an outside agent.

That is why I am asking.

Edited by Jade13

We returned for a transatlantic from London last spring on a one-way from Heathrow to JFK using HA's flight booking. The fare was $549 on a Delta flight with the enhanced leg room. The only criticism I had was that the flight originally quoted was for a late afternoon departure and shortly before the cruise the flight was switched to an early morning departure so we missed a half day of touring. Otherwise it easy and and a great value.

I haven't done a transatlantic in several years. When I did, I always booked my cruise and air and then transferred to a TA. You can't do that now as you are already with a TA. I would search around on line and find flights that are acceptable to you and have your TA call HAL air and see if those are available under HAL's air plan. Then book or not according to what you want. I found the fare through HAL much cheaper for one way flights.

They won't discuss airfare if your cruise is booked through an outside agent. Totally different than Celebrity where you can talk directly to the air department or go right to their online booking site and see and book your flights regardless if your cruise is booked through an outside agent.

That is why I am asking.

Yes, that is what travel agents are for.

That is why I am asking.

I have received flight availability and price info from HAL by saying that I am interested in booking a particular cruise, but wondered about flights.

Ancient history: HAL saved us hundreds of dollars and offered better routing than we were able to find any other way for our transatlantic cruise in 2012.

We have done a fair amount of one ways to Europe. Not because of TA-usually because we are on a longer trip and want to keep our options open. Many have involved a Med cruise. This enabled us to get prices on various cruise air options.

A number of our one ways have been cruise air. More often than not we have been able to get as or more attractive consolidator fare pricing/routing on good airlines such as BA from a TA.

What we really liked about Celebrity/RCI cruise air is the ability to go on line, ie not through our on line TA that we use simply to book, and select from numerous flight options. PLUS, the ability to select one way flights that do not bring us back to our home city.

For those who have booked one way flights with HAL, has the pricing been that competitive?

Simple solution - get on the internet and do your research. HAl will give you a price. Your TA will give you a price. You can get prices yourself with any of the airline search sites. Then pick what is best for you.

Just remember that with HAL and with a consolidator, you may not be able to pick your flight times and routing. On a DIY, you can.

DON

We returned for a transatlantic from London last spring on a one-way from Heathrow to JFK using HA's flight booking. The fare was $549 on a Delta flight with the enhanced leg room. The only criticism I had was that the flight originally quoted was for a late afternoon departure and shortly before the cruise the flight was switched to an early morning departure so we missed a half day of touring. Otherwise it easy and and a great value.

Thank you. That is the type of information I am looking for.

Yes, that is what travel agents are for.

Yes, and if you read my request you would know that the flights via HAL are not available yet, hence why I asked. If you haven't booked a one way flight through HAL than you have nothing meaningful to add to this discussion.

Edited by Jade13

[quote name=donaldsc;48497267)

Just remember that with HAL and with a consolidator' date=' you may not be able to pick your flight times and routing. On a DIY, you can.

DON [/quote]

DON,

We would never take mystery flights. I think HAL's flex fares that do not have to be paid until final payment might be the ones where you confirm the route but not necessary the airline since the tickets have not been purchased yet. Celebrity has something like that and I have seen people surprised that they picked a non stop and ended up on an entirely different airline. They did not understand that the flight wasn't confirmed until they paid for it. They picked the option that was less risky since it did not have to be paid until final.

Our preferred flight would be over $2,500 one way if we purchased it directly from the airline, which is why we have to use FFmiles, HAL, or our TA's consolidator or a combination.

Edited by Jade13

Hi, I was deciding between two March 2016 TA trips from Port Everglades on either the Oosterdam, 3/21 to Rome or the Eurodam, 3/27 to Barcelona. My HAL PCC quoted me the following one way flights, referred to "Flexible Fares."

Barcelona to MIA, British Air nonstop economy for $478.08

OR

Rome to FLL, American Airlines, economy - Rome to Philly, then PHL to FLL cost was $539.92. (Non stops from Rome to MIA are available and are less expensive, but I didn't save that quote.)

Hope this helps out. (I chose the E'dam cruise as it leaves Easter Sunday, instead of the O'dam which sails during Lent.)

Keep Calm and Sail On

Debcruising

DON,

We would never take mystery flights. I think HAL's flex fares that do not have to be paid until final payment might be the ones where you confirm the route but not necessary the airline since the tickets have not been purchased yet. Celebrity has something like that and I have seen people surprised that they picked a non stop and ended up on an entirely different airline. They did not understand that the flight wasn't confirmed until they paid for it. They picked the option that was less risky since it did not have to be paid until final.

Our preferred flight would be over $2,500 one way if we purchased it directly from the airline, which is why we have to use FFmiles, HAL, or our TA's consolidator or a combination.

I've booked several flights with HAL with the Flexi Fares especially for TA's and even R/T's to Europe. One benefit besides not being committed to it until Final Payment is the fares are usually less than the "restricted" fares.

True, the booking is not e-ticketed until 45 days out but seats are assigned at the time of making the reservation. HAL also gives me at the time of booking the flight the Airline's Confirmation # (Record Locator) and the reservation is in the Airline's system and can be viewed on their website. So far we've had very good experiences and have not been bumped off a flight.

My PCC usually quotes me the lowest fare first but if the we don't like the connecting times or connecting airports (where we live we always have to connect), she'll quote us on different routes.