Questioned by Security on the Navigator

Not likely, because they scan everything when you return to the ship.

They dont scan the wheelchair at ALL. I stuffed a couple small airplane bottles in my seat cushion once and got onboard with no problem. Yes, Im admitting to being a smuggler, once :o I wound up carrying those bottles right back off the ship too.

The point is, my seat cushion could have been filled with most anything up unto and including a gun, drugs or whatever else imagineable. We arent searched and are barely even "patted down".

I have never understood that

Edited by ryano

Someone in the LE field should understand these nuances and not be offended or insulted. But I understand the OP was and hope they get the apology they feel they deserve.

Under these circumstances it is standard practice and professional as well as courteous for a law enforcement officer to end an interview with an apology for inconveniencing them. I don't pretend to know how professional ship security is but we seem to be using US LE as the standard in this thread and I know a few things about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't think someone involved in investigating a crime needs to apologize to you if they caused UNNECESSARY stress and worry, because you had loved ones back at home that from the moment you were asked to come to security you thought might have had an emergency back home? The first interaction could have been handled differently to avoid that worry.....for that they are due an apology.

How exactly are the ship folks supposed to know what activities your family back home are involved in? Is that on the pre-boarding questionnaire?

"Is anyone in your family on a trip that might cause you to be alarmed if we ask to speak to you for any reason?"

People get called to the naughty room all the time who don't have contraband in their bags. Do they say "well, we want you to open your bags... but first, we want to know if anything here might make you feel worried about something happening off the ship. Are we cool?"

This stuff about apologizing for making someone worry is nonsense. The rest of the story is kinda weird... old dude profiling and not checking further down the list... but really, some of the expectations of people in this thread are flat whacko.

1. Know that I might be worried about something off the ship if you ask me to come to GS!

2. Apologize for worrying me!

3. Know that I'm not a criminal!

4. Keep me appraised of who the real criminal is!

Well... There was/is some question as to if he would be allowed to sail on RCCL again, so I'm going to assume you somehow missed those posts.

No I didn't. I also didn't miss this, which really has been the overall theme of the thread

Later, the offensiveness hit us. Telling us there was a message for us at Guest Services and letting us worry about a family emergency seems like overkill; surely there were other ways to have us report to Guest Services. We didn't dwell on the situation and continued to enjoy our cruise, but I fully expected to find a note in our cabin later, with apologies for the inconvenience and appreciation for the immediate response. No, there was never a note or further communication.

They were not trying to contact you and your SO concerning something trivial, there was a golf cart taken by an unauthorized individual who resembled your SO.

Yeah, Columbo's first thought about this "theft" would have been it was a conspiracy and the SO was working with a team of thieves to hijack this golf cart and expediency was of incredible significance.:rolleyes:

I would think that the blame would be attributable to the person or persons responsible for said golf cart directly, and those persons would be the irresponsible employees of the cruise line.

At the time they thought your husband was involved in a theft. Yes, they had the wrong person, but they didn't know that at the time. Expecting them to leave a message for a suspected thief to come down at their own convenience isn't realistic.

Yeah, he could have escaped to some desert island.:rolleyes:

I would think that the blame would be attributable to the person or persons responsible for said golf cart directly, and those persons would be the irresponsible employees of the cruise line.

Now we've really gone off the rails.

People get called to the naughty room all the time who don't have contraband in their bags. Do they say "well, we want you to open your bags... but first, we want to know if anything here might make you feel worried about something happening off the ship. Are we cool?"

I can answer your question from first hand experience. No, they do not. And there was nothing of interest to them in by bag either.

Actually, I like emailing a company when I've gotten great service from someone who normally isn't associated with service.

I have emailed Royal before over security issues -- when I've personally seen security taking care of a volatile situation and making the ship safer for all.

I don't think I've sent a criticism email to a corporation in probably 10 years. I even have sent Baldanza (Spirit Airlines CEO) a thank you email at least a dozen times in the past 3 years -- and I'd be surprised if he gets a lot of thank you emails.

Yeah, but the only thing you have person experience with in this situation is having read a thread on Cruise Critic. But I am sure the good folks at RCI will be thrilled to hear from you.

Now we've really gone off the rails.

Well, as another one in "law enforcement", we use bikes, golf carts, squad cars, and SUVs. If I was responsible for any of the aforementioned and someone happened to drive off with it, the repercussions would be swift and painful for me.

Well, as another one in "law enforcement", we use bikes, golf carts, squad cars, and SUVs. If I was responsible for any of the aforementioned and someone happened to drive off with it, the repercussions would be swift and painful for me.

If that happened, I think the vast majority of U.S. law enforcement personnel would accept responsibility and deal with the repercussions. I am sure that very few, if any, would lie about the circumstances and blame a random, innocent stranger. I do not have the same conviction about the employees on Labadee.

We are talking about a golf cart not the Alpine Coaster.;):D

Which would have gone as far as the pier or the straw market.;) I wonder if someone at the market bought it to resell it. Imagine having your own golf cart waiting your arrival at Labadee. That would be awesome.

I haven't really looked for video cameras at Labadee before but I will need to look a bit more carefully in the future. Just in case I need an express ride to the ship from BFB.

All joking aside didn't the OP say their SO had a bad back, hips, or waist? I have ridden on the golf carts in question and even with good health they aren't the easiest thing to just jump into to steal. Not to mention they don't go fast and far quickly. It makes me wonder why they could not catch the perp in the first place.

OP should Persue resolution to securities Complaint, I have a Family member who was called into security, She had done something unsafe and realized it and went Guest services to report there should be signs so no one else does samething she did (there where already signs She did not see them) She basically Ratted herself out to GS.No one knew what she had done. Next day she was called into security,GS reported her.She explained herself to security and said she was sorry,She is called and screened every time she books with RCL.She has never been Denied but she needs permission to stay booked.Also as others have said people involved in other instances with security are now Banned from Sailing.If I was OP I would mk sure my SO name is no longer tied to this incident.

OP should Persue resolution to securities Complaint, I have a Family member who was called into security, She had done something unsafe and realized it and went Guest services to report there should be signs so no one else does samething she did (there where already signs She did not see them) She basically Ratted herself out to GS.No one knew what she had done. Next day she was called into security,GS reported her.She explained herself to security and said she was sorry,She is called and screened every time she books with RCL.She has never been Denied but she needs permission to stay booked.Also as others have said people involved in other instances with security are now Banned from Sailing.If I was OP I would mk sure my SO name is no longer tied to this incident.

I was unaware that something like this could be enforced.

I mean if you really break the rules yea................

I would think they would make you leave at the next port like those who chose to bring in drugs from Jamaica. But, to be "labeled" WOW.

Kinda wants me to behave more on board, not that I am bad, but,

Safe travels.

If you're publicly funded law enforcement, you are aware that you have no responsibility to the public. You can (and some of your cohorts do) use violence or the threat of violence because you're well defended legally in those actions.

Someone who is responsible for a golf cart on a private island can't wrestle a customer to the ground if the customer is acting belligerent or violent.

In the states, we have these things we call keys. When not sitting in the drivers seat, we remove those things before vacating such drivers seat.

I could be wrong, but I do not think the operator of that golf cart removed the keys, got out of the cart, was attacked and the perp forcibly took the keys from that operator.

I posted that I am 63 years old and working in the law enforcement field and that my SO is retired. I am not an LEO (how many 63-year-old female LEOs do you know?). My SO was not an LEO. There was no discussion during the "interview" about anything other than what we did (and what the suspect did) in Labadee that day. If I remember correctly, somewhere around Day 4 I mentioned to our table mates in the MDR where I worked and what my position is, when disclosure of occupations and home towns was part of the group conversation. There was no reason to share that information during the interview. In the 15 years I have worked there I have NEVER attempted to use my employment to obtain favors or influence events/decisions.

I have never made rude comments about any of the posters on CC, either, but I am sorely tempted tonight.

The "crime" is that someone not a pinnacle member used a golf cart is totally bogus. If RCI is concerned about crime it is the food in the MDR and misleading cruise prices. You have every right to expect an apology. Ignore the RCI fanboys.

In the states, we have these things we call keys. When not sitting in the drivers seat, we remove those things before vacating such drivers seat.

That would depend on Royal Caribbeans policy on use of golf carts. It still does not take the onus off the perp.