Chef's table as a vegan

vz123

Hi everyone!

Have any vegans or vegetarians done the chef's table? If so, was it worth it? I did the chef's table a few years back and really enjoyed it, before I became vegan, and I would love to experience it again on my upcoming Pride sailing, but am wondering is it worth it.

Edited by vz123

I thought that at the chef's table the meal is planned and cooked by the chef and you don't get to choose what you eat. You just try all the dishes that are prepared.

I am not aware that you can give special dietary needs for that particular meal but maybe I am wrong about that?

Yes, the first time I did the chef's table, I was a pescetarian, I only ate fish and seafood. I let them know in advance and they substituted certain courses for me. For example, instead of the Cornish hens, I had a shrimp dish, and instead of the short ribs, I had a lobster tail. They also substituted some of the appetizers we had in the galley. They were very accommodating!

I was just curious if anyone actually tried it as a vegan and was it worth the $75 fee, without the meat and seafood.

I also assumed the chef's table was a planned menu - why would you want to pay $75 for a meal that everything planned was out of your diet right down to the way the food is cooked (ie butter) ??:confused:

I don't go into hot tubs that have been occupied by unknown persons - I should expect the staff to drain and refill it every time I want to use it?? DH has mobility issues due to heart surgeries - I should demand that CCL modify the ropes course because he wants to do it but can't as it's set up??

And yes, I very much support ADA but that said .... not every activity or function works for, or can be modified for everyone. We've come to that realization after DH's last surgery.:cool:

Hi everyone!

Have any vegans or vegetarians done the chef's table? If so, was it worth it? I did the chef's table a few years back and really enjoyed it, before I became vegan, and I would love to experience it again on my upcoming Pride sailing, but am wondering is it worth it.

Sorry for the ones griping at you, you asked a valid question in a very nice way. Since you have already done the Chef's table you know what it's like. As one other poster has suggested I would contact special needs or better yet make a request when booking the chef's table. The worst that will happen is that the Chef will say he/she is unable to accommodate your request for whatever reason. But with many Kitchens being run by Indians (from India) I am quite sure they know lots of dishes that would amaze you. Never hurts to ask!

Edited by bobsfamily

It is what it is...don't book it if you don't want what is being served! I'm sure you can eat some of the dishes that don;t include meat or meat products...

It's like saying, "I LOVE ________BBQ joint, but I don't want the BBQ"....so you only order the cole slaw...

Edited by cb at sea

I thought that at the chef's table the meal is planned and cooked by the chef and you don't get to choose what you eat. You just try all the dishes that are prepared.

I am not aware that you can give special dietary needs for that particular meal but maybe I am wrong about that?

You can give special dietary needs. We have done chefs table 3 times. My husband is gluten free and I don't eat red meat, only fish or poultry. they took care of both our needs all 3 times with no issues.

Pat

I never understood the need for a rude response but I will say this and hope you don't take it the wrong way. Being a vegan is a lifestyle choice. Chef table is an optional dining experience. Its not like eating in the main dining room. With that being said, I definitely think you should ask however, Im not sure how helpful they will be. Carnival chef table is not like a restaurant chef table. the chef pretended he came up with the menu just for us but I already knew that its the same all year on all ships

Its not like a meat vs no meat thing. That seems easier to deal with. They would now have to change the way they make almost everything to accommodate you. If they are willing..great. But Do you think its worth $75 to have a completely different experience than the one intended?

When I went someone was allergic to seafood so instead of crab salad they gave her chicken for one course...not the same. Imagine having to "settle" for your whole meal

Yes, I understand, but I just wanted to see Carnival's take on vegan dishes. I understand people who aren't vegan may think it's silly to spend so much on a meal that doesn't have meat or dairy but living in NYC (I see you do too :)) where there are lots of vegan restaurants, anything from casual to gourmet, I've easily spent $75 for a meal so the idea isn't far-fetched to me. Yes veganism is a lifestyle, but I don't think I should miss out on such a great dining experience because of my lifestyle choice!

I will contact Carnival to see if my request can be honored. If so, great! If not, (which I seriously doubt) maybe if enough vegans make such requests in the future, Carnival and other cruise lines will recognize us and maybe make an alternate menu. im sure I'm not the first vegan to make a request and I definitely won't be the last lol

We have done Chefs table multiple times with Princess but never Carnival. Is it available on Sunshine? Also with Princess you have to wait until boarding to reserve. Is it the same on Carnival?

The only time I've done the chef's table was on the Sunshine, actually, on a Mediterranean cruise 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure they offer it on all of their ships. I reserved it about a month in advance by emailing the steakhouse.

I'm sorry that there are those who think any opinion different from their expectations is "blasting". I gave my opinion just as others of you gave yours.

All of the responses on this thread sounded polite to me. I personally have nothing against vegan eating or any other similar life choice - or health restriction. It's just that in my thinking asking that an entire menu be changed for content as well as preparation techniques seemed to defeat the purpose of this add-on "excursion". I don't reserve sushi resturants because I don't care for what's on the menu - I don't ask that they prepare something not on that particular menu.

That's my opinion - no more or less valuable than yours :)

Yes, I understand, but I just wanted to see Carnival's take on vegan dishes. I understand people who aren't vegan may think it's silly to spend so much on a meal that doesn't have meat or dairy but living in NYC (I see you do too :)) where there are lots of vegan restaurants, anything from casual to gourmet, I've easily spent $75 for a meal so the idea isn't far-fetched to me. Yes veganism is a lifestyle, but I don't think I should miss out on such a great dining experience because of my lifestyle choice!

I will contact Carnival to see if my request can be honored. If so, great! If not, (which I seriously doubt) maybe if enough vegans make such requests in the future, Carnival and other cruise lines will recognize us and maybe make an alternate menu. im sure I'm not the first vegan to make a request and I definitely won't be the last lol

yes there many vegan places in NYC where one can eat as they choose and still enjoy a good meal. I hope the chef table works out for you. Please tell us how it works out. I did it last year and it would be nice to know how they handled it vegan style :-)

It is what it is...don't book it if you don't want what is being served! I'm sure you can eat some of the dishes that don;t include meat or meat products...

It's like saying, "I LOVE ________BBQ joint, but I don't want the BBQ"....so you only order the cole slaw...

And pay $75 for said cole slaw. ;)

when you book just let them know that you are vegan. They will do there best to serve a meal that you will enjoy. We have done the chefs table many times and they always ask about food choices and if there's anything you can't eat or don't like. There have been people at the table that have a totally different meal. Don't worry about the head chef and him having to work more. He has other chefs helping prepare the meal he does not do the whole thing himself.

You'd be wrong about that. My MIL was having food allergy testing for an emergency issue she had and we didn't plan it out before Chef's table/our cruise. When we got on board and booked the steakhouse, the woman who sat at the table to sell reservations recognized our names as Chef's Table participants and we asked her about the allergies as we didn't want to offend the chef if she simply didn't eat what was prepared.

Not only did they note her allergies, but the Chef came by to speak with her at the steakhouse and then again found us on Lido to make sure she could eat his substitutions! They went out of their way to make it so that she'd be able to participate. I'd contact them on board and let them know and see what they can do (you can always cancel).

Thanks for asking this question, and thanks for all the answers. I would love to dine at the chef's table but I don't eat any fish or seafood at all, and I don't eat tomatoes. I've been hesitant to try it because I'm so darn fussy.

I have 2 questions...do they contact everyone in advance to get their likes/dislikes? And for those who have tried it, was it primarily fish and seafood?

Every time we have done the chefs table they have contacted us to check on any allergies or anything we wouldn't eat. If you don't eat seafood let them know they will have something else for you during that course. I'm diabetic and they always have a special dessert for me. It is a set menu for those that eat everything, but they will accommodate you. There usually is a seafood dish of some kind then a tenderloin or some type of beef for another course. App's in the kitchen with champagne. Eat very little during the day because you will be stuffed after the meal. They go all out to make sure everyone enjoys the experience.

Hi everyone!

I think this is a very valid question and shame on those who just want to be rude to you because you had a question they didn't like.

We did the Chef's Table once and it was very good. I have some pretty extreme food allergies (yes hater flame me for daring to be born with allergies AND wanting to eat food :-) Carnival was very accommodating and they didn't make me feel bad about it at all.

That being said, I am not sure I got the entire benefit of the parings because of the substitutions. Not their fault at all and the food really was delicious.

I would contact Carnival- it never hurts to ask and you can't be the only vegan to have cruised and wanted to try the Chef's Table. Good luck!

And pay $75 for said cole slaw. ;)

And if the person is truly vegan then the coleslaw may work anyway if the dressing on it has mayo...eggs, ya know!!! :eek::D It seems to me that gluten-free or no beef or vegetarian would be easier to do than vegan. :)

One of my employees is a vegan and she has a heck of a time with people understanding her restrictions when we go out to eat. With that being said, Carnival does a FANTASTIC job with dietary restrictions and I would have to believe that the chef would be accommodating to the best of their ability as long as they have Tofu, Seitan, Tempeh, soaked ground seeds, etc available to mimic the other dishes. It never hurts to ask!

Every time we have done the chefs table they have contacted us to check on any allergies or anything we wouldn't eat. If you don't eat seafood let them know they will have something else for you during that course. I'm diabetic and they always have a special dessert for me. It is a set menu for those that eat everything, but they will accommodate you. There usually is a seafood dish of some kind then a tenderloin or some type of beef for another course. App's in the kitchen with champagne. Eat very little during the day because you will be stuffed after the meal. They go all out to make sure everyone enjoys the experience.

I told them I do not eat duck but they still served it to me. I guess because Im not allergic. Turned out it wasnt bad at all. My point, they done always listen unless its an allergy or majot lifestyle issue.

I don't go into hot tubs that have been occupied by unknown persons - I should expect the staff to drain and refill it every time I want to use it?? DH has mobility issues due to heart surgeries - I should demand that CCL modify the ropes course because he wants to do it but can't as it's set up??

And yes, I very much support ADA but that said .... not every activity or function works for, or can be modified for everyone. We've come to that realization after DH's last surgery.:cool:

Mean people suck. People who cite to the ADA but have no actual knowledge of what it says really suck.

OP- it seems to me that you were asking a legit question to other vegans in your situation. I do hope you get the answers you need and you should not be dissuaded from asking because somebody decides to post random nasty stuff.

I have severe food allergies. I was able to do the Chefs table with substitutions. The staff never made me think twice about it. Fellow ignorant cruisers treated me like I was a heathen alien for needing a substitution.