peru trip

otto1948

Is the three day Cuzco & Machu Picchu overland trip something one must do or is it too expensive-thanks Ron

This is a trip I have always wanted to do. One of those trips of a life time. But it will never happen as it is too expensive for me.

Don't know if you are referring to the pre- or post-cruise option, or an excursion from a cruise with an overnight in Lima.

But either way, ask yourself:

Do I want to see Machu Picchu?

Do I anticipate ever being in this part of the world again?

Is this type of trip one I am able to organize independently?

If YES, NO, and NO respectively, up to you to find it in your budget. The cost is currently high due to the strengthening of the PEN versus the USD over the past couple years; you can wait for the Peruvian economy to inevitably weaken again or take advantage of the current opportunity.

This was offered on our South America cruise since we overnighted in Lima. I looked at it but the cost was more than the 17 day cruise in a mini suite. The people I talked to onboard that did Machu Pichu did it before the cruise since our cruise started in Santiago and they raved about it. Most people thought the tour offered during the cruise didn't give you enough time to acclimate to the altitude. Altitude sickness is a real concern for Machu Pichu so you should consider that. If you want to go there either before or after the cruise (depending on whether you're traveling north or south) is really the best option.

Three days is a pretty short time for all the travel, with little time for adjusting to high altitude. The Princess tour is also quite pricey.

We decided to take a land tour with Trafalgar instead. For about the same price as the Princess tour we got a 7 day Highlights of Peru tour which included Cusco, Macchu Pichu, and the Sacred Valley, We also did a 5 day Peruvian Amazon tour prior to the 7 day.

The Peru trip was bounded by a 15 day cruise to Antarctica, and a 17 day cruise back to LA. Wonderful way to avoid winter.

Linda

Ron - If you are interested in Peru, in my opinion, it's better to visit the country independently or on a land tour. I went to Peru/Machu Picchu earlier this year and can't imagine a 3 day Cusco/Machu Picchu trip. Not enough time to experience it. Lima, Peru is an easy 5 1/2 hour flight from Miami.

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

Three days is a pretty short time for all the travel, with little time for adjusting to high altitude. The Princess tour is also quite pricey.

We decided to take a land tour with Trafalgar instead. For about the same price as the Princess tour we got a 7 day Highlights of Peru tour which included Cusco, Macchu Pichu, and the Sacred Valley, We also did a 5 day Peruvian Amazon tour prior to the 7 day.

The Peru trip was bounded by a 15 day cruise to Antarctica, and a 17 day cruise back to LA. Wonderful way to avoid winter.

Linda

I agree with your comments. I am Australian, and I saw here recently an advertisement for a trip to Sth America that included Cusco, Macchu Pichu, the Sacred Valley, Lake Titicaca and other places. It was a trip for (I think) 14 days and included flights. The price was surprisingly good. I have already done a longer trip so I didn't note the details.

I suggest you look into the possibility of a separate trip. It would be more leisurely and you would have more time to acclimitize to the altitude.

People who did the ship's tour to Macchu Pichu loved it, but they said it was very rushed and involved some very early mornings.