Live aboard Regatta

PSULion

Posting on the sixth day of the 12/9 Regatta trip. Will post a full report upon my return. Will try to answer any questions in the meanwhile.

Highs:

1. Food and drink package

2. Friendly staff

Lows:

1. Pool is chilly IMHO.

2. Shared condiments in Waves (personal pet peeve).

John

Edited by PSULion

Posting on the sixth day of the 12/9 Regatta trip. Will post a full report upon my return. Will try to answer any questions in the meanwhile.

Highs:

1. Food and drink package

2. Friendly staff

Lows:

1. Pool is chilly IMHO.

John

I understand the potential problem with shared condiments.

What do you suggest as a solution? Individual packets?

Edited by Paulchili

I understand the potential problem with shared condiments.

What do you suggest as a solution? Individual packets?

Another cruise line used little glass bottle of prepackaged condiments. That worked well. I would even prefer the packets, but they are at times annoying to open.

I wouldn't touch that mayo that is sitting out on the tables for hours (days?) on end, sometimes in the sunshine. I understand ketchup and mustard usually have enough vinegar as a preservative, but evey bottle you buy retail in the USA always says "refrigerate after opening."

John

Another cruise line used little glass bottle of prepackaged condiments. That worked well. I would even prefer the packets, but they are at times annoying to open.

John

I have seen those and they do work well.

They are probably fairly expensive compared to "bulk" and wasteful if used only once for 1 person - but certainly more hygienic and safer.

But then again, that is how they serve jams, so they could do the same for condiments.

Edited by Paulchili

I wouldn't touch that mayo that is sitting out on the tables for hours (days?) on end, sometimes in the sunshine. I understand ketchup and mustard usually have enough vinegar as a preservative, but evey bottle you buy retail in the USA always says "refrigerate after opening."

John

That also is a pet peeve of mine, Waves opens at 11 and closes at 4, that mayo sets out there regardless of the temperature. I wonder if they empty and refill them every day? I doubt it. I like mayo on a burger, but like you there is no way I'd touch that stuff. It just seems like asking for trouble.

John

I would mention it to the restaurant manager

I have seen some bottles sitting in ice at the counter but that was a few years ago maybe things have changed

Just finished my last fabulous meal at Toscana. Time to leave the ship in the morning. Great cruise, full review to follow. Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all the great people I met on this cruise and on this board.

John

That also is a pet peeve of mine, Waves opens at 11 and closes at 4, that mayo sets out there regardless of the temperature. I wonder if they empty and refill them every day? I doubt it. I like mayo on a burger, but like you there is no way I'd touch that stuff. It just seems like asking for trouble.

Honestly, it was not until I was 22 and headed west from NYC, that I ever saw someone put mayo (or mustard) on a hamburger OR (even worse) ketchup on a hot dog (instead of mustard and sauerkraut). Along the same lines, pizza came three ways: Margharita, sausage, or white (clams).

Ketchup - unless it was a cheeseburger, in which case, it was still only ketchup. Of course, if it was a bag of White Castle burgers, the chopped onions were unavoidable.

Fair enough. Although I am not sure that I see how ketchup (which, BTW, I do not like) is OK for hamburgers but not hot dogs.

Loved those White Castle "sliders" in my younger days :D

Ketchup is for hotdogs, eat my burgers "nekkid", like the taste of beef and cheese, don't want anything to adulterate it.

Though I prefer the purity of Heintz Ketchup on a burger, I can live with nothing on the burger or steak sauce instead of ketchup (particularly on a mushroom cheese burger with caramelized onions). But I really do have to draw the line at ketchup on a hot dog. And I am not alone: http://www.hot-dog.org/culture/hot-dog-etiquette

-and although I personally love cheese in its' many incarnations, having been ruined by the advent of Hamburger Helper, I now dislike any type of cheese on a burger.

Or maybe Stan is starting to rub off on you (Stan intensely dislikes cheese) :)

Not only do I put ketchup on hot dogs, I never dress them with anything else. I put a slice of American cheese under the dog, and I get more ketchup between the dog and the bread.. Did I say bread? Yep, I rarely have buns in the house, so I toast a slice of bread (always potato bread), apply the cheese, the dog and the ketchup. If I'm feeling frisky, I use BBQ sauce instead of ketchup. Manna from heaven!

How about ketchup on saltines? I got thru college with that, and never lost the craving...

Edited by hondorner

I don't think it's mayo, but miracle whip -- it's my pet peeve

Miracle Whip......(sugar, oil, white glue for body and a dash of paint thinner...)

In some places its considered crime against nature....mere possession of an empty container has severe penalties.....

Where have you guys been finding this stuff.....cause I have never seen it anywhere????