New mattresses on the Freedom absolutely hard as a rock!

maybe you just have not experience it and it's hard for you to believe (or you just like to troll) but many are stating the same. On my previous cruises and two on them in the same ship, fos, that was not the case.

There are many describing their bed experiences with similar results and actsolutely no reason to lie. For those people beds were way beyond firm, no give, like sleeping on floors. I believe it because i experienced it.

Sent from my samsung-sm-g900a using forums mobile app

seems that john and lala must be out of touch with reality, perhaps lala is from lala land .

Can all those who describe hard mattresses be wrong? Or did john and lala bring their own mattress from home.

Lala

Maybe you just have not experience it and it's hard for you to believe (or you just like to troll) but many are stating the same. On my previous cruises and two on them in the same ship, FOS, that was not the case.

There are many describing their bed experiences with similar results and absolutely no reason to lie. For those people beds were way beyond firm, no give, like sleeping on floors. I believe it because I experienced it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Seriously, go lie down on your kitchen floor, that is what sleeping on a rock is like. FWIW, I have been on Freedom 8 times since dry dock, in a multitude of different cabins, so I have a little more experience on this ship than most.

I am not saying the beds are not firm for some folks, but the descriptions are to extreme to be credible. I can live with the box spring example.

Edited by John&LaLa

seems that john and lala must be out of touch with reality, perhaps lala is from lala land .

Can all those who describe hard mattresses be wrong? Or did john and lala bring their own mattress from home.

Lala

I have never said the mattresses are not firm. Laura is from Connecticut.

I'm bringing my own mattress pad! Got it from Amazon, it weighs only 1 pound and for relativity I have placed it between a can of hairspray and furniture polish

e7435db3b964e5c4ab23eb55989c1bdd.jpg

Here it is on its own

e195c3c51550b2766517dc45e70aecb8.jpg

And inflated

23b1480ecbb272e37b9571808ca9e97c.jpg

No more sore back for me!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the Freedom Oct. 23-30th, in a D2 stateroom. Since reading so many bad experiences with the bed being too hard, I was concerned. I did as others here suggested and contacted special needs about 3 weeks before sailing. I requested the topper as I have bad back and would have trouble if the mattresses were too hard. I went aware it may not happen as others have said they don't have toppers anymore. I don't know if this specifically is meant to be the egg crate foam. To my surprise and happiness there was a memory foam, about 2" thick, on top of the mattress. We had a wonderful sleep every night. I am sharing this as our experience only. I do not disagree that others have had a different experience.:)

We were on the Freedom Oct. 23-30th, in a D2 stateroom. Since reading so many bad experiences with the bed being too hard, I was concerned. I did as others here suggested and contacted special needs about 3 weeks before sailing. I requested the topper as I have bad back and would have trouble if the mattresses were too hard. I went aware it may not happen as others have said they don't have toppers anymore. I don't know if this specifically is meant to be the egg crate foam. To my surprise and happiness there was a memory foam, about 2" thick, on top of the mattress. We had a wonderful sleep every night. I am sharing this as our experience only. I do not disagree that others have had a different experience.:)

If that's the case next week when I board (in a D2 as well) then I won't need to inflate my mattress pad pictured above. Although, either way I'm covered [emoji4]

"Hard as a rock" is what's known in the English language as a simile. Some of you should go look that word up and stop taking things so literally.

I'm wondering if the mattresses on Liberty are the same as the Freedom. That will be one cruise I actually could bring along my own mattress pad because I'll be driving to the port. It might be worth it to get a good night's sleep and not have to worry about waking up with back pain.

"Hard as a rock" is what's known in the English language as a simile. Some of you should go look that word up and stop taking things so literally.

I'm wondering if the mattresses on Liberty are the same as the Freedom. That will be one cruise I actually could bring along my own mattress pad because I'll be driving to the port. It might be worth it to get a good night's sleep and not have to worry about waking up with back pain.

Haven't been on the Freedom, but have been on the Liberty as recently as last May and I thought the mattresses were quite hard, but knew that from here so I did take my own mattress pad since I was driving.

Our JS mattress on the Liberty was horrible. I could hardly walk the first morning. The Steward gave us a topper but it was still hard.

I also purchased the same mattress pads as Robyn so we are covered in the future.

###

Our JS mattress on the Liberty was horrible. I could hardly walk the first morning. The Steward gave us a topper but it was still hard.

I also purchased the same mattress pads as Robyn so we are covered in the future.

###

That was the same problem we encountered in a JS on Liberty. :mad: I'm not quite sure if I am ready to buy the camping pads.

Edited by Coralc

That was the same problem we encountered in a JS on Liberty. :mad: I'm not quite sure if I am ready to buy the camping pads.

For me, a good night's sleep is imperative, especially on vacation. On the Adventure last February, my back was so bad in the morning it took hours before I was walking properly :mad: I am not taking that chance again, or relying on RC to provide a mattress topper which they already told me will be a folded up duvet. The $ was well spent on the mattress pad. I say go for it and never worry about a comfy bed on a ship ever again....:rolleyes:

We just got off of Freedom and my wife did mention that the mattress was too hard. I didn't notice that it was hard, but maybe that's just me because whan I'm on a cruise the motion of the ship rocks me to sleep, so I likely could fall asleep anywhere as long as we're moving.

What I noticed more was the constant banging of the closed balcony pass through door... :)

If that's the case next week when I board (in a D2 as well) then I won't need to inflate my mattress pad pictured above. Although, either way I'm covered [emoji4]

I'd love to see what your inflatable looks like on top of the bed in the cabin. 23 inches seems a bit narrow. i'm wondering how much space will be on either side of the pad. They do make an XL size which is 30 inches wide. I have NO idea how wide the beds on the ship are.

I understand! In addition to our cruise we have several family vacations planned over the next year so I'm sure we will get our $$s worth. They are really compact.

We got a regular size one and an XL one.

###

I'd love to see what your inflatable looks like on top of the bed in the cabin. 23 inches seems a bit narrow. i'm wondering how much space will be on either side of the pad. They do make an XL size which is 30 inches wide. I have NO idea how wide the beds on the ship are.

I had the same concern, however trust me, once inflated its plenty wide for one person. Having said that, I am pretty much a back sleeper and I don't move around much...

I'll definitely take a picture of the inflated mattress pad on my bed next Saturday [emoji41]

Edited by ckrobyn

Our last JS on Freedom was in March, the mattress was fabulous and it was one of the new ones.

I'm sorry others have not been so fortunate.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

ckrobyn-I really hope you have what we had. I was looking at what you bought and I would have done the same but there wasn't time for me to order it when I saw yours. I am like you and need a good sleep. I will be watching to see how you make out on your cruise. I might get one anyway and travel with it as a backup. Have a happy, and comfortable cruise!

ckrobyn-I really hope you have what we had. I was looking at what you bought and I would have done the same but there wasn't time for me to order it when I saw yours. I am like you and need a good sleep. I will be watching to see how you make out on your cruise. I might get one anyway and travel with it as a backup. Have a happy, and comfortable cruise!

I will be reporting LIVE next week from the Freedom, so my comments (and pictures) will be about all of my experiences, including the mattress in my cabin! :D

Our last JS on Freedom was in March, the mattress was fabulous and it was one of the new ones.

I'm sorry others have not been so fortunate.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I think it is really hit or miss as to the quality of the mattress in each cabin. I had an inside cabin for a few days on the Liberty 2 years ago, and hands down, it was THE most comfortable bed I have slept in anywhere on a ship - and I have sailed in every suite category including the Royal Suite. Luck of the draw, problem is, I can't take the chance so I am being proactive and bringing my own assurance of comfort :)

I was on a JS on Anthem in August, booked specifically for the 'luxury pillowtop mattress'. It was hard. Was it the same as sleeping on a hardwood floor or a cement slab? No...but if you put a thin blanket on those areas, then, yes. I sleep on a firm mattress at home, and this was beyond that. It was hard. I woke up in pain every night. Other (younger) family members were disappointed as well.

It's hard to know what bed you will get as I think that some probably have toppers on them already (proactive room stewards), some are probably the old models, and some are the 'new' ones. So various reports may not be comparable.

I have never ever complained about the bed before this cruise; I always found the beds just fine.

I think that Royal and many crew members know this is a problem; there are many complaints. So it's not anyone's imagination, but I don't think they are not going to throw out thousands of new beds. So ask for the topper in advance or as soon as you get onboard, or bring your own. Better safe than sorry.

I took advice of others on board and purchased two Klymit sleeping pads for my up and coming cruise in November on the Navigator. I hope it works out. I recall the last time we cruised, I awoke most mornings with an achy back. Of course I wrote it on the comment card.

It just amazes me that Royal can get away with this. I don't cruise on other competitor cruiselines, is it the same elsewhere?

You spend 25 to 30% of your vacation on these mattresses. You would think they would not skimp on comfort. Maybe I'm in the minority and others don't mind a firm bed.

I also don't recall this being a big deal 10 or so years ago. At one point I recall Royal having very comfortable beds. I suppose they wear out quicker and require more frequent replacement = extra cost.

Hi to Lido Boy

To answer your question as to other cruise lines having similar problems with hard mattresses, I can only compare to those I recently sailed with.

Royal Princess 2x No Problem

Regal Princess 1x No Problem

Celebrity Constellation 1x No Problem

Celebrity Reflection 1x No Problem

RCCL Oasis 1X )18 months ago) No Problem

With RCCL, guess they changed the mattresses after my Oasis cruise because all we hear is negatives regarding bedding...

Perhaps those that are sailing in the next few months on RCCL, this means myself included, Ded 18th, should try sleeping on the floor in your home so we could get the "feeling" beforehand. It is incredible that we have to pay a good price to have pain inflicted on us by RCCL.. Lousy sleep, lousy vacation