Pompeii and Herculaneum excursion

tpwolfe

It's also possible to do both on your own. The local train line (Circumvesuviana) stops within a few minutes' walk of both sites. Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi stop) is about 20 minutes from Naples via train, and Pompeii is about 40 minutes (20 minutes beyond Herculaneum).

Details on how to do this have been given many times on this board but if you are interested, feel free to ask for specifics.

Lots of good options;

Check out ships excursions. Some do both.

As CruiserBruce mentioned private tours are an option. There are many to choose from and I'll add anther tour operator to the list which is Joe Banana Limos at

https://www.joebananalimos.net

You can do this on your own as cruisemom42 mentioned and a quick search on the board will bring up the details.

Each person has different takes on this based on what they prefer. For my wife and myself we've done this both with a ships tour and also as a private tour. These days we have evolved and prefer the private tours when we visit these places over a ships tour or doing it on our own.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
I usually go out on my own but opted for the ship excursion to Pompeii. It was nice to have a guide to explain the history of the area. Although we did not go to Herculaneum that day I know there were excursions that went to both.

Just to clarify, it is not necessary to do a ship's tour to have a guide at these sites. We did a private tour to Herculaneum with Romeinlimo. RIL arranged a private guide to meet us there. He was an archeologist who actively participated in the excavation - best guide we've ever had! The great part was we arrived very early before the ship's tours and thoroughly enjoyed almost having the place to ourselves in our little group of 8.

Just to clarify, it is not necessary to do a ship's tour to have a guide at these sites. We did a private tour to Herculaneum with Romeinlimo. RIL arranged a private guide to meet us there. He was an archeologist who actively participated in the excavation - best guide we've ever had! The great part was we arrived very early before the ship's tours and thoroughly enjoyed almost having the place to ourselves in our little group of 8.

Nor is it necessary to arrange a private tour to engage a guide for these sites.

Licensed guides for both Herculaneum and Pompeii are generally to be found at the entrance. They will get together a small group and generally provide a very good overview of these sites in about 2-2.5 hours. At Pompeii they generally try to get together a group of about 10 people, and if that is the case the cost is only about 10 euro per person. (It is more if there are fewer people.)

It's also possible to do both on your own. The local train line (Circumvesuviana) stops within a few minutes' walk of both sites. Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi stop) is about 20 minutes from Naples via train, and Pompeii is about 40 minutes (20 minutes beyond Herculaneum).

Details on how to do this have been given many times on this board but if you are interested, feel free to ask for specifics.

Agree, easily doable in your own