Oosterdam (Almost) Live, our Holiday cruise.

WeLoveCruising

Day 5: At Sea (heading towards Bonaire)

The seas were pretty high today. It’s been a long time since I felt queasy on a ship, but it’s also been about 4 years since I’ve been on one. There might be something to the “sea legs” theory, because I felt a bit off all day. Since it was a sea day, we didn’t have much planned anyway. We spent the morning out at the aft pool, and then most of the afternoon in our stateroom watching movies (Ricki and the Flash, and The Martian, for anyone who wonders what’s currently playing). In fact I skipped lunch, opting only for some iced tea and fruit from the Neptune Lounge.

We were very much looking forward to our dinner at the Pinnacle, and as it turns out it wasn’t a stellar experience. DH had to send his steak back twice – and honestly, I’ve lived with him for 25 years and can probably count on one hand the number of times he’s done that – he’s not that picky. He always orders “medium” and anything from medium rare to even medium well will suit him fine. The first steak was very well done, not a hint of pink to be found even in the dead center. He sent it back. The second one was so rare that even the server who had him cut into it, whisked it away without him having to say something. Improperly cooked steaks can happen, but we also had the smallest wine pours when buying wine by the glass (yes, we know the Riedel glasses are huge, we use them at home), but these were disappointingly small. We didn’t agree on the wine we wanted, or we would have just gotten a bottle. Next time, I’ll cooperate a little better with him ☺. I had king crab legs which I think were actually snow crab. Desserts, however, were very good. I had the lemon tart and DH had the volcano cake.

The wind and high seas made our usual nightly promenade walk interesting, but we managed to do something like 8 laps, mostly because we were full, and partially because the wine, wind, and ship’s movement were making us laugh and we had a good time being silly….something that has not really happened since our son passed away this summer.

Oh, and to add – because we told the photography staff that we’re considering purchasing one of the packages, they sent a photographer to the Pinnacle last night to get some photos of us. I’m sure they really want to sell that package, but we appreciated them doing it.

Enjoying your extensive daily reports; Have a great time on OSDM! Re; your observation on HMC, if you saw Royal Bahamian Police on the island, they came from nearby Eleuthera Island by boat. Don't want to speculate on what got the male in handcuffs in trouble.

Enjoy Kralendijk, Bonaire! Perhaps try "What a Burger" on the water front (look for the big French fry in front;) ) for lunch. They've got really good Dutch "kroketten" on a sandwich. "Karel's Beachfront bar-restaurant is good also with a nice view of the ship :)

Enjoying your extensive daily reports; Have a great time on OSDM! Re; your observation on HMC, if you saw Royal Bahamian Police on the island, they came from nearby Eleuthera Island by boat. Don't want to speculate on what got the male in handcuffs in trouble.

Enjoy Kralendijk, Bonaire! Perhaps try "What a Burger" on the water front (look for the big French fry in front;) ) for lunch. They've got really good Dutch "kroketten" on a sandwich. "Karel's Beachfront bar-restaurant is good also with a nice view of the ship :)

Thanks for the tips!

You're right, there is no point in speculating about the incident on HMC. It's a good reminder that even though it seems like a private "HAL" island, it is a foreign country and when visiting we are all subject to the laws of that country. It's interesting that you say the police would have arrived from Eleuthera. I saw a police boat near the pier. They were bringing the guy handcuffed into the little office building I could see from the tender.

We first came to Bonaire on our honeymoon, in 1992. So much has changed since then. The main street back then, IIRC, was just a single street with a few shops.

Day 6: Bonaire

We first visited Bonaire on our honeymoon cruise, in 1992. And although we’ve been back several times, I’m always struck by how much it has changed. Back in 1992, we were one of the only ships to call on the island (we were on the old Dolphin line’s Oceanbreeze). I recall a cab driver taking DH and I around the island, maneuvering around goats on the road, and pulling over so he could teach me which cactus made the best soup. The main street, back then only containing a few shops, today is a busy cruise port stop. Still one of our favorite places, the thing that hasn’t changed is its laid back vibe, and crystal clear blue water.

After our Pinnacle breakfast (they are really good at dealing with specific requests, like my well toasted toast), we did a little exploring followed by time in the Thermal Suite.

For lunch we finally tried the new Dive In. I had the Dive In burger, and DH the “Gainer”. He had to tell me it’s a type of dive, because I commented on the name….with the amount I’m eating on this cruise I definitely know I’m a “gainer” ☺. We like the Dive In much better than the old Terrace Grill. The burgers themselves are nothing too special, but they are on brioche buns and lots of fresh garnishes. The fries are of the battered variety, which is a thumbs up for me and a thumbs down for DH, so it depends on which side of the batter preference you fall. The one thing he really liked was the cheese fries, which had real cheese on them, not orange neon stuff. Eating at Dive In, we also got another look at the expanded taco bar, and are fans of the new shredded beef, different beans and salsas.

After lunch we did the iPod Art Tour. If you haven’t done this on a HAL ship, it’s a great way to learn about and get an appreciation for the art that goes into each ship. You can download the tours from the HAL site. Using your iPod (or phone, or whatever player you have), the tour tells you exactly where to start and stop, and where to walk. It takes you through some of the most interesting pieces onboard. Each ship has several millions of dollars of art and antiques, as well as commissioned paintings. For example, on the Ooosterdam, each of the three stairwells has a different theme, I bet something few people notice. The whole tour takes about an hour, well worth it if you want to learn more about what’s on the ship.

After the tour, I did my own Christmas decorations tour, grabbing my camera and taking photos of the different decorations on the ship. I’ll post some on this thread once we’re home, giving me the internet speed.

Dinner last night was supposed to be a Caribbean deck party, moved inside due to rain (the weather has not been good on this entire trip). I wish they had moved it to the Lido pool area, with the cover closed, but instead they just had the deck party food in the Lido buffet line. We didn’t feel like going to the MDR, so we ate quickly at the Lido.

We ducked into the Piano Bar to see Barry from Boston, the entertainer for the cruise. He was doing a fun game of 70’s music, good or bad? He gave out a few Go/Stop cards to the audience, and then played a few bars of a “groany” type 70’s song….think Muskrat Love, Gypsies Tramps and Thieves, Convoy….and the audience got to vote with the card as to whether he would play the whole song or stop. Note, of the three I mentioned there were two voted “Stops” an one song voted “Go”.

The show last night was a Magician named Magic (Brian?) I think it was Brian. He was funny, and what I liked is that he had a family style show, including some children from the audience. I remember the times sailing with our son when he was young, and how much I appreciated being able to bring him to a show or two that he would enjoy.

The Captain warned us that there would be high winds and swells as we sailed from Bonaire to Curacao….either it wasn’t too bad, or I am just getting used to it.

Right now it’s early morning and we just arrived in Curacao. I’m off to the Neptune Lounge for a cappuccino….

In May we were on the Maasdam and I dined at the Dive In several times and loved their burgers. Last week on the Oosterdam I tried it twice and was not impressed with them (they were not very thick for one thing). So, I guess as normal on HAL, quality varies by ship.

Edited by DaveOKC

In May we were on the Maasdam and I dined at the Dive In several times and loved their burgers. Last week on the Oosterdam I tried it twice and was not impressed with them (they were not very thick for one thing). So, I guess as normal on HAL, quality varies by ship.

You're right, if there is one thing that's consistent, it's the inconsistency. I agree, the burgers themselves seem almost the same as the old Terrace Grill ones. What I liked most about Dive In was the buns, and the really crisp lettuce, onion, pickles that came with it. I also liked the cheese sauce on Dh's fries.

I noticed today lots of people getting custom sandwiches made, which I know is also not as consistent or easy to do since the start of the pre-made ones. I wanted to take pictures….I saw all kinds of bread and sandwich makings out, but my phone wasn't charged up enough. I actually had a pre-made sandwich and liked it. In all the hundreds of cruise days I've never had a sandwich, but they had a "spa' sandwich of brie, grilled pears, raspberries and arugula on sprouted bread. That kind of thing is right up my alley, so I tried it, and liked it very much.

I'm taking notes for Bonaire. Thanks a lot.

But.... kroketten on a sandwich? Definitely have to be a Nederlander for that one!

Really enjoying your 'live from'. Great reading.

Thanks for letting us sail along with you. Sounds like things are mostly good on board.. Sorry about the disappointing Pinnacle experience.

Have fun and get the relaxation you seek. :)

I'm taking notes for Bonaire. Thanks a lot.

But.... kroketten on a sandwich? Definitely have to be a Nederlander for that one!

Most definitely! ;) You grow up with a "broodje Kroket" or a "Gevulde koek" at half-time while at voetbal/soccer games at the "Olympisch Stadion" in Amsterdam. Try it once, you'll like it

Most definitely! ;) You grow up with a "broodje Kroket" or a "Gevulde koek" at half-time while at voetbal/soccer games at the "Olympisch Stadion" in Amsterdam. Try it once, you'll like it

OK, I'm putting that into my notes!

Have actually had the Gevulde koek: excellent!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Edited by SilvertoGold

ohhhhh I must try that...I guess when I left Holland I hadn't had a chanc to try that delicacy! I love kroketten though.....and bitterballen en poffertjes en oliebollen en appelflappen....yum...I wonder, do they serve oliebollen en appelflappen on Nieuwe Jaars avond?

ohhhhh I must try that...I guess when I left Holland I hadn't had a chanc to try that delicacy! I love kroketten though.....and bitterballen en poffertjes en oliebollen en appelflappen....yum...I wonder, do they serve oliebollen en appelflappen on Nieuwe Jaars avond?

They for sure serve lots of 'oliebollen' on New Years Eve on the dam ships and create large parties that night. 'Appelflappen, you have to make yourself ;) Vrolijk Kerstfeest en Gelukkig Nieuwjaar/Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :)

Day 7: Curacao (Christmas Eve)

For the past ten years or so, we have only taken cruises of ten days or longer. Mostly 10 nights, because that’s all the time we can get away from work, although we have managed a few 14 nights a few times. It’s always at this 7 day mark one of us will say to the other, imagine having to go home now? 7 days doesn’t seem long enough any more. I don’t think I’ll be ready to go home in 3 more days either, but at least we have them. We’ve both decided our retirement gift to each other will be a world cruise, in fact we even have our financial planner setting aside a separate account for that. Depending on how it does, we’ll either be in a Neptune suite for the whole thing (or who knows, we might be taking your drink order while working on the cruise, but one way or another we plan to go! Just kidding on the working part, I hope ☺

We feel like regulars in the Pinnacle breakfast how, which is nice. No more specific picky instructions like “well done toast” required, they know what we like. We treated ourselves to another couples massage today, it was heavenly. I mentioned a few times how we lost our dear young adult son earlier this year, he died due to a rare lymphoma, and he fought a very long battle, including a bone marrow transplant. For most of the past year before he passed, DH and I slept at the hospital, and that meant a recliner when we could grab one, or upright in a chair when we couldn’t. For a whole month in ICU, DH and I slept on one recliner together, pushing it up against a wall so I didn’t fall out. I’m writing about that to explain just how bad our backs and necks are, and just how good that massage felt. Boy did we need that. (We booked another for our last sea day).

I had a pre-made sandwich for lunch, which I really actually loved. It was what they call spa bread, which is a soft spouted bread, with grilled pears, brie, raspberry and arugula. I figured it balanced out yesterday’s burger, and have to say I liked it even better. I did notice some people having custom sandwiches made. I never had one made before the change, so am not the best qualified to report back any changes, but I took some photos of the breads and meats because I know some people are curious. I’ll post them on this thread once home.

Christmas Eve was hopping on the ship. It was a gala night, and there were couples and families everywhere all decked out and looking beautiful. There were photography stations set up throughout the ship (more than on a typical gala night), and lots of special activities like caroling, a midnight mass, Christmas tunes in the piano bar, and a special Vegas style headliner (we didn’t see him).

Our dinner in the Pinnacle was like a “Tale of Two Ships”. I wrote about how we were a bit disappointed in our Pinnacle dinner a few nights ago. Last nights was one of the best….it just goes to show you how different experiences even on the same cruise can be. Our server was a delight, in fact we requested her section for Le Cirque, which is tonight. My filet was absolutely perfect in quality and doneness, and boy do I love that lemon brulee tart, which now replaces the volcano cake as my favorite dessert onboard.

This morning we arrived in Aruba to cloudy skies (the theme of this cruise). Santa will arrive in the Vista lounge soon! Or so the announcements are telling us ☺. We are looking forward to another wonderful day on the Oosterdam.

Day 8: Aruba (Christmas Day)

A little bit on our stateroom: We have a Neptune Suite, pretty much directly across from the Neptune Lounge. The location is fantastic for us, allowing us to easily duck in several times a day for a coffee or iced tea…ok, who am I kidding? Also for a cookie or slice of pound cake ☺. The room is in good shape, spotlessly clean and showing no signs of wear and tear. A few minor complaints, though. First, the toilet system. There is sometimes a delay of up to 5-10 minutes from the time we press the flush until the actual flush. Sometimes it happens immediately, there is no rhyme or reason. So far it hasn’t caused any problems, but I fear the time DH and I need to use it back to back. Second, a really nitpicking I suppose…can we get an actual bar of soap? We had one small bar when we embarked, but because the liquid Elemis soaps are bolted to the shower wall, we got no other. I don’t like to shower with the liquids, and we need one to wash our hands with at the sink. I’m sick of leaning over and grabbing some of the liquid stuff from the shower every time I use the bathroom. We haven’t seen our cabin steward in a week. In his defense, we haven’t tried to ask for soap. I know I can leave a note, ask the concierge, call…any of these things would get me the soap. It’s one of those little nagging things that never bothers me enough to think of it at the time, until I’m standing in there needing to wash my hands. After which I guess I forget again. Argh.

Now, back to the cruise. We’ve been to Aruba so many times before, and truth be told my sister had a police problem here that scared me (very long story, and not her fault). It’s not like I planned to get off the ship and break any laws, but I learned enough about the legal system here to not want to deal with it, so we stayed onboard. We had a day of leisure in the thermal suite, and out at the aft pool. DH and I have each read plenty of good books on this cruise, and that was our goal.

It was Christmas Day, and the ship had lots of activities continued from yesterday's Christmas Eve festivities. The night was designated "Gala Optional", which would make it our 3rd Gala night of a 10-night cruise. Most people were dressed formally. I guess the optional part is permission to do what you want. Santa arrived in the Vista lounge with presents for all the kids. Also to note, this whole cruise the drink of the day specials have not been the typical "Sunsicle, Mojito, etc", they have all been holiday themed. Winter Wonderland, Candy Cane Martini….some sound good, some a bit too creative for my taste. The thing I like about the holiday cruise is that you can make it as festive or not as you want. There are big families traveling together, all really celebrating and giving gifts at dinner. Others (and not everyone celebrates Christmas), are much more low key. We are somewhere in the middle, wanting to celebrate the holiday but in a new way, and also partly hiding from our first Christmas as grieving bereaved parents.

Dinner was a special treat – Le Cirque. Boy oh boy, it was a fantastic meal from start to finish. The portions were huge, we were unable to finish each course. I think the menus are posted plenty of places here, but in case anyone is curious, we had an amuse bouche of foie gras with a rhubarb chutney. We both had the lobster salad appetizer, which was a full size lobster tail in a deconstructed Nicoise type salad. It had blanched haricot vert, small cold blanched perfectly sliced potato, avocado, grapefruit segments, and butter leaf lettuce, served with a citrus dressing. Delicious, and really could be an entrée itself. For soup we selected a very fresh green pea soup, poured tableside. I had the chateaubriand (which came with a delicious horseradish flan and sweet and sour beets), and DH had rack of lamb. Both expertly prepared and very good quality. We couldn’t even finish half portions of any course, we were so full. For dessert I sampled the crème brulee and DH had the chocolate soufflé. We added the wine pairings to the dinner, which was a $20 surcharge on top of the $49 for dinner. I haven’t checked our statement, I don’t know if our Mariner discount applies to the wine or not. The wines were nothing special, just the house brands, but they did the trick. We had a sparkling wine with the lobster, a Chardonnay (not oaky at all) with the soup, and a Merlot with the entrée. I asked, they don’t vary the wines based on meal choice, everyone gets the same options regardless of meal order. This wasn’t our first Le Cirque dinner, but definitely the most memorable. After a bumpy first night, the Oosterdam Pinnacle Grill is turning out to be one of the best onboard dining experiences we can recall.

Rough seas again last night!

This morning I am waking up to a gorgeous pink sunrise, drinking my cappuccino from the Neptune Suite, while sitting in bed typing. I don’t think I mentioned yet, the bed linens, which are definitely upgraded from our last trip. We have crisp thick white sheets and a down blanket covered in a crisp white duvet. Very nice

Edited by WeLoveCruising

Thx for the updates. That bugs me about the soap too. I brought my own extra bar the last time but usually I leave a note to ask them. I don't like to ask them in person because they tell me there is soap in the dispensers :rolleyes:. I don't like it either for the most part.

Thx for the updates. That bugs me about the soap too. I brought my own extra bar the last time but usually I leave a note to ask them. I don't like to ask them in person because they tell me there is soap in the dispensers :rolleyes:. I don't like it either for the most part.

Well, the plan failed, lol. We asked the steward this morning for a bar of soap. When we saw him after lunch, he seemed so pleased to tell us he gave us soap. We went in our cabin looking all over for it, and couldn't find it….until my husband noticed what he did was fill all the Elemis liquid dispensers to the top! I can only imagine what he was thinking….wondering why we asked for more...

Well, the plan failed, lol. We asked the steward this morning for a bar of soap. When we saw him after lunch, he seemed so pleased to tell us he gave us soap. We went in our cabin looking all over for it, and couldn't find it….until my husband noticed what he did was fill all the Elemis liquid dispensers to the top! I can only imagine what he was thinking….wondering why we asked for more...

Consider your self lucky that you are in a Neptune or else you likely would not have gotten the first bar of soap!

Our experience the cruise before yours (Oosterdam Neptune suite) was similar to yours - our cabin steward was not up to the standards we normally experience in a Neptune suite, but we thought that perhaps it was because we were on deck 5, which only has 2 Neptunes, thus the steward was not familiar with the program perks.

I won't use the Elemis liquid soap for either hand washing or showering. I always pack a bar of soap (how ridiculous to be in a pricey suite and have to provide my own bar of soap :rolleyes: but before I leave it out in the bathroom, I always ask the steward for bars of soap. I ask for it and usually they'll leave a bar but I provide my own, if necessary.

Consider your self lucky that you are in a Neptune or else you likely would not have gotten the first bar of soap!

Our experience the cruise before yours (Oosterdam Neptune suite) was similar to yours - our cabin steward was not up to the standards we normally experience in a Neptune suite, but we thought that perhaps it was because we were on deck 5, which only has 2 Neptunes, thus the steward was not familiar with the program perks.

I had the second worst stewards that I ever had on my eurodam cruise in October. I sure hope this is Hals gold standard. For the most part my stewards have been great on my cruises.

It's ridiculous that anyone sailing in a Neptune suite should have trouble getting a second bar of soap. It must cost Hal about 50 cents.

I had the second worst stewards that I ever had on my eurodam cruise in October. I sure hope this is Hals gold standard. For the most part my stewards have been great on my cruises.

It's ridiculous that anyone sailing in a Neptune suite should have trouble getting a second bar of soap. It must cost Hal about 50 cents.

I yapped about the 'soap situation' starting as far back as 2-3 years. It annoys me no end to have to ASK for a bar of soap. Ridiculous. Noro gets spread when people do not wash well with soap and water. That does not mean 'bath gel' and one has to lean over the side of tub ("R" and "S" class ships) to get from the dispenser. And no guest, let alone a Neptune Suite occupant, should have to provide their own bar of soap. For pete's sake, Motel 6 gives a bar of soap..... or so I've been told :D

I yapped about the 'soap situation' starting as far back as 2-3 years. It annoys me no end to have to ASK for a bar of soap. Ridiculous. Noro gets spread when people do not wash well with soap and water. That does not mean 'bath gel' and one has to lean over the side of tub ("R" and "S" class ships) to get from the dispenser. And no guest, let alone a Neptune Suite occupant, should have to provide their own bar of soap. For pete's sake, Motel 6 gives a bar of soap..... or so I've been told :D

Don't know about motel 6 but I can't remember the last time I didn't have 2 bars of soap in a hotel room.