Comparison: Princess vs. Celebrity

El Crucero

Interesting comparison. Thanks. As you can see below, we have only gone on one Celebrity ship, but another coming, as we thoroughly enjoyed our sail on the Celebrity Reflection. From our limited experience, here is what I can add to your fine review:

Pizza on Princess is raved about, but I find it mediocre compared to most on land. Didn't try it on Celebrity.

Decor: Celebrity is very nice, and we really enjoyed the whimsical art work, but it - to me - is typical of a European hotel. Princess feels more like a ship at sea, which we like. That, of course, is personal preference.

(Maybe it is the fact that I am a "son of a sailor" and have owned and sailed my own sailboat, that I feel more at home with the traditional nautical decor.)

Your opinions are of course valid and true. But I still want to make two comments: (1) as a New Yorker, we claim the right to decide what is good pizza -- and Princess is better than Celebrity; (2) you should try one of the M-class ships which fit your preferences for a more nautical feel -- especially Summit with the paneling and memorabilia from the Normandie.

.... (1) as a New Yorker, we claim the right to decide what is good pizza -- and Princess is better than Celebrity; .....

I will have to say the pizza in Alfredo's (on Regal and Royal) is far superior to the pizza on Lido deck of any of the ships. Again, don't know about Celebrity, but will try to make a comparison on our next Celebrity cruise (if I remember.... it is in 2017).

The English Breakfast (being Brits) was something we made a beeline for everyday, skipping lunch because we were so full of the fabulous bacon and mushrooms and other goodies.

I'm happy to hear you say this, because as one who knows, it reinforces my opinion that you Brits know how to make breakfast!!!!!! I like the English sausage, yum, yum!

I wonder what you thought of the tea and tea sandwiches in the afternoon. We think they are mediocre on Celebrity. We find the high tea every afternoon on Princess to be way better than average in England and in the South Pacific!, which we have done.

The English Pub service aboard Princess is hit and miss. We found the fish and chips soggy, but the meat pies were pretty good. Now if they only served a good Pasty. We have some outstanding fish and chips on the Pacific Coast in California made with fresh Ling Cod. Anything else pales in comparison.

You British know how to dress for dinner! We Yanks are a bit backwards in that regard.

as a New Yorker, we claim the right to decide what is good pizza -- and Princess is better than Celebrity;

Well you have me there! I would NEVER argue with a New Yorker about the intricacies of pizza. But I think we prefer Chicago style pizza to New York style. I will say that the pizza on both lines is AT BEST mediocre compared to what can be obtained in a pizzaria in New York or Chicago!

Fun and informative discussion.

Well you have me there! I would NEVER argue with a New Yorker about the intricacies of pizza. But I think we prefer Chicago style pizza to New York style. I will say that the pizza on both lines is AT BEST mediocre compared to what can be obtained in a pizzaria in New York or Chicago!

Pizza in Alfredos and on deck, resembles what I experienced in Italy when traveling there. I think that was the goal.

Thank you to the OP and others for the comparative information presented. As you can see below, we have done 20-some cruises with Princess, and have our first Celebrity cruise booked for February, on the Silhouette. We love Princess, but are very excited to try something new. The only slight downside is that it's costing us a lot more than an equivalent Princess cruise would, but that's only because we're so spoiled by the Elite perks we get with Princess that we went Aqua Class on Celebrity and essentially "bought" ourselves into similar features; but that was completely our choice. Can't wait to enjoy the features I've been reading about for some years now.

I'm happy to hear you say this, because as one who knows, it reinforces my opinion that you Brits know how to make breakfast!!!!!! I like the English sausage, yum, yum!

I wonder what you thought of the tea and tea sandwiches in the afternoon. We think they are mediocre on Celebrity. We find the high tea every afternoon on Princess to be way better than average in England and in the South Pacific!, which we have done.

The English Pub service aboard Princess is hit and miss. We found the fish and chips soggy, but the meat pies were pretty good. Now if they only served a good Pasty. We have some outstanding fish and chips on the Pacific Coast in California made with fresh Ling Cod. Anything else pales in comparison.

You British know how to dress for dinner! We Yanks are a bit backwards in that regard.

Owning a pizza business, the pizza on the Eclipse was mediocre. It was better if you were standing there as they made it. We'll see how it rates on our 14 day B2B on the Regal Feb.7. As to pizza choices..sorry, never could stand "deep dish" styles of Chicago. NY is great(as is East Boston)But like anywhere, there are some truly AWFUL pizzerias no matter where you go.

Thank you to the OP and others for the comparative information presented. As you can see below, we have done 20-some cruises with Princess, and have our first Celebrity cruise booked for February, on the Silhouette. We love Princess, but are very excited to try something new. The only slight downside is that it's costing us a lot more than an equivalent Princess cruise would, but that's only because we're so spoiled by the Elite perks we get with Princess that we went Aqua Class on Celebrity and essentially "bought" ourselves into similar features; but that was completely our choice. Can't wait to enjoy the features I've been reading about for some years now.

Our last Princess cruise was in a Vista Suite, and our only (so far) Celebrity cruise was in AQ. We would take AQ over the suite we had on Princess every time. We loved BLU, and really enjoyed the whole experience.

We've done 2-14 day trips on the Eclipse(2014 & 2015)found the food to be excellent compared to the last voyage on Cunard in 2012. As to the specialty rest. on Celebrity..They are pricey compared to Princess, but there is frequent discounting.

You'll find the LGBT get togethers to be really lame on Celebrity(a real shame)If you like a proper tea service, Celebrity is pretty bad. Cunard the best overall & I hear Princess somewhere in between. We'll see how our 2 week B2B on the Regal goes on Feb.7

Our last Princess cruise was in a Vista Suite, and our only (so far) Celebrity cruise was in AQ. We would take AQ over the suite we had on Princess every time. We loved BLU, and really enjoyed the whole experience.

Yes, some people really like the BLU while others do not. In fact, many are now getting tired of the same Ole BLU menu and are ordering from the MDR menu. When we look at BLU, it seems very sterile. JMHO!

AQ class has had some cutbacks in what you receive now. No more daily free water in your cabin.

In fact, many are now getting tired of the same Ole BLU menu and are ordering from the MDR menu.

Is there some statistical backup on this? I would be interested.

AQ class has had some cutbacks in what you receive now. No more daily free water in your cabin.

I was in a Princess mini-suite a month ago (at the same price as an Aqua stateroom) and not one drop of bottled water, not even a pitcher with water in it. If you wanted water in your mini-suite stateroom, we had to get it from the bathroom faucet.

Is there some statistical backup on this? I would be interested

I was in a Princess mini-suite a month ago (at the same price as an Aqua stateroom) and not one drop of bottled water, not even a pitcher with water in it. If you wanted water in your mini-suite stateroom, we had to get it from the bathroom faucet.

I read and post on both forums. Just go to the X forum and see what is posted there. There are over 480 postings just about the AQ water which is no longer offered. There are threads about AQ BLU and people being dissatisfied with the BLU menu being the same for years. In fact, many are complaining about the new Suite MDR.

I don't do stats. LOL

I read and post on both forums. Just go to the X forum and see what is posted there. There are over 480 postings just about the AQ water which is no longer offered. There are threads about AQ BLU and people being dissatisfied with the BLU menu being the same for years. In fact, many are complaining about the new Suite MDR.

I don't do stats. LOL

Well you do stats if you are keeping track of the number of posts in three threads with a majority posting the same comments in each thread. What is your definition of "many?" Yes, and that represents about 30 or 40 people who are unsatisfied out of the hundreds of thousands who cruise Celebrity every year. Certainly something to note but hardly statistically significant.

Where do I get my bottled water, and my bottle of sparkling wine, and my two stateroom stewards, expanded room service menu, my shoeshine service, and private dining venue in a Princess mini-suite that is the same price as a Celebrity Aqua suite?

Edited by El Crucero

Interesting, even though we are elite on both Princess and Celebrity.... have felt X is over rated... liked X before they built the newer ships... tried Eqlipse, the Equinox and Silhoutte... tried BLU once... still prefer Princess... does not matter to us what the statistics are only matters what we like.

No good library on the newer x ships for one.

Food and service in the MDR very hit and miss for us, so much so that we skip the MDR when on X, stick with buffet. MDR very crowded and noisy.

The buffet on X is very good, I will give them that.

Entertainment on X very hit and miss for us.

Prefer Princess mini suite to Aqua cabin on X as well.

We do X if they have an itinerary we want only.

Well you do stats if you are keeping track of the number of posts in three threads with a majority posting the same comments in each thread. What is your definition of "many?" Yes, and that represents about 30 or 40 people who are unsatisfied out of the hundreds of thousands who cruise Celebrity every year. Certainly something to note but hardly statistically significant.

Where do I get my bottled water, and my bottle of sparkling wine, and my two stateroom stewards, expanded room service menu, my shoeshine service, and private dining venue in a Princess mini-suite that is the same price as a Celebrity Aqua suite?

Whatever! If you need stats, do them.

Edited by Oxo

Thank you for your balanced review. I thank Princess in my heart daily for remaining on the West Coast! I like Celebrity also but can cruise much more often when not having to fly and worry about pre and post cruise hotels, etc.

I did want to mention, so you know for your upcoming cruises on Princess, that you are in no way limited to three courses in a specialty restaurant on Princess. Order an appetizer (or two), a soup, a salad, a main course (or two), a cheese plate, dessert (or two), etc. there is no limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P.S. I hope some of your upcoming Princess cruises are on other ships besides the Star. When on her last month I felt she had slipped a bit compared to previous cruises on her. I embark Crown today and hope for a nice experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X does sail to Bermuda where as Princess does not. So we're in our mid 30s if you were to choose a line which one would be better for us. We've sailed Carnival but were more laid back type people.

No one line is the best. Everyone has their opinions. If you want to go to Bermuda, then pick X. If you go X, I suggest going on an S-Class ship, not the M-Class as they are old ships.

We cruise both lines and each have their + and -. Your cruise is what you make it. Enjoy!!!

If you were to do Pacific Coastal would you choose X or Princess, Celebrity is cheaper on the Infinity or Princess.

I booked a Pacific Coastal on Infinity for the itinerary. That would be my deciding factor, unless I strongly preferred one ship over another.

Embarkation/Disembarkation: On Celebrity you can board about 11am but your stateroom will not be ready until about 1pm. On Princess you can board at 12:30 pm and your stateroom will be ready for you immediately.

Stateroom: However a deal-breaker for us is that mini-suite balconies are not private! Because of the design of most Princess ships, the balcony on the deck above is setback and overlooks the balcony below. Every balcony we have had on Celebrity has been private with an over head cover. (we have since learned that that there are a handful of mini-suites on Princess at the stern of the ship that are private.)

Passenger Characteristics: We found that Princess passengers tend to be younger and into tee shirts and levis with holes in them as “smart casual” at least on our one voyage. In fact, I observed one female passenger with a Harley Davidson tee shirt and levis on formal night in the MDR!

Very good review. Have a couple of comments:

1. Embarkation times can vary and we have boarded as early about 11am on some ships/ports. If you are in a suite, platinum or Elite you get special (earliest) embarkation and disembarkation if desired. This applies to Walk Off or color tags (luggage is in the terminal).

2. The 12 mini suites on the Emerald deck are fully covered.

3. Have not been on Celebrity. Based on our 13 Princess cruises, we have found Princess passengers overall to NOT be as casually dressed in comparison with Royal Caribbean, Holland America, and Carnival. Princess written dress code is not casual but actual dress varies on enforcement or non enforcement.

Edited by qsuzi