Just became Diamond Plus and will not honor the higher discount!

KKMurphy2

We are newly Diamond Plus and I just got off the phone with Crown and Anchor to try to get the extra $25 balcony discount for my 3 cruises that are currently booked. They refused to give it to me and said they would have to rebook everything again and they said I would lose money. When I became Diamond in the past, I was able to add that discount to my bookings! Another disappointment with Royal for me!

Cruise Critic members have been discussing this for more than a year. RC now reprices your booking if you make a fundamental change, such as wanting to apply a new balcony discount. Clearly, if you cruise fare has increased, $25 is not worth it.

Let it go.

Laura got a Huge savings by repricing her solo cruises once she hit the 340/350 mark

We are newly Diamond Plus and I just got off the phone with Crown and Anchor to try to get the extra $25 balcony discount for my 3 cruises that are currently booked. They refused to give it to me and said they would have to rebook everything again and they said I would lose money. When I became Diamond in the past, I was able to add that discount to my bookings! Another disappointment with Royal for me!

We became D+ on our Feb. Quantum cruise. Prior to this, I made reserves for March, '16 on Oasis and mentioned this to the LA. She told me to call back and that I would get the add'l amount upon reaching this level. With these instructions, as soon as we got back home, I called RCL and received the amount without any problems or re-pricing.

My understanding is that the discount applies only to the cruises you book after you reach that next level.

Not true. They will apply the new discount amount to any cruise that you have booked. Two basic problems however:

1) they will re-date the booking to the current date, so if you're now within 6 months, the <6 month discount is applied, and

2) They will re-price the cruise to whatever the current day's rate is.

It's essentially a lose-lose situation unless you're still outside of 6 months and the price hasn't changed.:(

Not true. They will apply the new discount amount to any cruise that you have booked. Two basic problems however:

1) they will re-date the booking to the current date, so if you're now within 6 months, the <6 month discount is applied, and

2) They will re-price the cruise to whatever the current day's rate is.

It's essentially a lose-lose situation unless you're still outside of 6 months and the price hasn't changed.:(

Which is basically booking the cruise after you've reached new level, same as what SPacificbound said

Edited by SeaUs

You're really going to let missing an extra $25 off your balcony jade your opinion of a cruise line? :confused:

I work very hard for my money and it is the principle. I know that with all of their "sales" the pricing has to be repriced. But this is a loyalty discount. I thought of it as a coupon. And if enough of us were verbal with the company, this would be easy.

For example, when I priced the cruise, I took the loyalty discount (very simple $225 off our balcony room), of which I chose over the OBC. Now, I am Diamond Plus and I should have a simple $250 off of my cruises. This is not rocket science to me.

I am sorry you are confused and I hope I could explain it. Cruising is still my vacation of choice on RCCL and Celebrity. I do not roll over when I have a valid opinion. PS - I am that person who writes my congressman regarding how he is spending my tax dollars, also.

This board is for discussions and opinions. It is also a way to hopefully as a group let RCCL know our opinions. When speaking with the Diamond Plus rep last evening, she told me that they are asking their managers for this change quite frequently and it is falling on deaf ears. She actually encouraged me to write to the administration of the company, because she saw this as simple way to keep loyal members happy.

We became D+ on our Feb. Quantum cruise. Prior to this, I made reserves for March, '16 on Oasis and mentioned this to the LA. She told me to call back and that I would get the add'l amount upon reaching this level. With these instructions, as soon as we got back home, I called RCL and received the amount without any problems or re-pricing.

I am happy that it worked for you! :) Unfortunately, it did not work for me. I roll with the punches.

I work very hard for my money and it is the principle. I know that with all of their "sales" the pricing has to be repriced. But this is a loyalty discount. I thought of it as a coupon. And if enough of us were verbal with the company, this would be easy.

For example, when I priced the cruise, I took the loyalty discount (very simple $225 off our balcony room), of which I chose over the OBC. Now, I am Diamond Plus and I should have a simple $250 off of my cruises. This is not rocket science to me.

I am sorry you are confused and I hope I could explain it. Cruising is still my vacation of choice on RCCL and Celebrity. I do not roll over when I have a valid opinion. PS - I am that person who writes my congressman regarding how he is spending my tax dollars, also.

This board is for discussions and opinions. It is also a way to hopefully as a group let RCCL know our opinions. When speaking with the Diamond Plus rep last evening, she told me that they are asking their managers for this change quite frequently and it is falling on deaf ears. She actually encouraged me to write to the administration of the company, because she saw this as simple way to keep loyal members happy.

I understand your issue completely. Just a little confused as to why you would allow a $25 discount that wasn't available when you booked to jade your view when you already got your $225 discount. Just my honest as well as valid opinion. Happy sailing! :)

We turned D on our Halloween 2015 cruise and the LA said to just call RCCL and have them apply the D discount to our March cruise, which we booked before turning D. After returning home and noting that our status was upgraded to D, I called, as instructed by the LA, and was denied the discount.:( I tried calling twice, talking to 2 different people. The last person told me that, in order to apply any discount, he would need to re-price the cruise, which has almost doubled since I originally booked it!!:eek: So, for us, the extra $100 was not worth it. Oh well, maybe I'm just not pushy enough!:o Doesn't really matter to me, as I still intend to cruise as long as I'm able!!

I guess the OP was not aware of the recent policy of system repricing your booking to the current market value and promo (thereby losing any promo perks you got before) if you made any changes.

And 2nd I don't know why the $25 difference is such a big deal that has to even take time to rant in this forum.

I myself have booked 3 balcony cabins (which I haven't sailed yet) way back when I was still Emerald, now being Diamond, even though the balcony discount is significantly higher with Diamond vs Emerald: $100 vs just $25 difference of D+ vs D.

I didn't bother calling anymore fully aware, given the prices have risen much, that it will be repriced.

We turned D on our Halloween 2015 cruise and the LA said to just call RCCL and have them apply the D discount to our March cruise, which we booked before turning D. After returning home and noting that our status was upgraded to D, I called, as instructed by the LA, and was denied the discount.:( I tried calling twice, talking to 2 different people. The last person told me that, in order to apply any discount, he would need to re-price the cruise, which has almost doubled since I originally booked it!!:eek: So, for us, the extra $100 was not worth it. Oh well, maybe I'm just not pushy enough!:o Doesn't really matter to me, as I still intend to cruise as long as I'm able!!

I doubt being pushy would have helped. As has been noted, repricing to apply any additional discount has been Royal's policy for over a year now. Anyone claiming to get an additional discount applied without repricing either just got lucky or the price they originally booked perhaps had not changed, so they thought the cruise had not been repriced when really it had.

Thank you for all of your input. I will continue to cruise as I have said. For those of you who do not understand why $25 would "jade" my opinion, let me put it this way. As I previously stated, it is called fair pricing and it is the principle of the issue. Look at the stock prices for RCCL and we can all see the cutbacks on their part are definitely increasing the bottom line. Good for them as a company! But when do the cutbacks affect service and food to the point of lowering quality? And what about perks for their loyal customers? That is the line drawn that we as individual customers must decide when to cross. I have cruised multiple lines and feel that RCCL, which used to be the premium line is now in line with Carnival. You can call my opinion anything you want. Will it make me stop cruising? No. I also knew their repricing policy in regards to OBC, but was unaware this also was for the Diamond Plus discount. This is my ignorance, because I never had this situation come up before. :) But I am on Cruise Critic to learn and collaborate.

I grew up very poor, but I won't bore you with those details. I was taught the value of a penny. We milked Holsteins, so never could take a vacation. I was the first person on either side of the family to attend college and I became a nurse. I married a factory worker and we lived within our means. But you cannot remove this way of life from my inner being. We have zero debt, gave our children a college education, and now we cruise 2-4 times per year. We also are very generous towards others. But when I feel that I am owed $25, I politely ask for it. This is not being jaded. This is called being sensible.

Happy Cruising to All!

Thank you for all of your input. I will continue to cruise as I have said. For those of you who do not understand why $25 would "jade" my opinion, let me put it this way. As I previously stated, it is called fair pricing and it is the principle of the issue.

Is there anything like fair pricing? Who determs if a Price is fair? Is it the consumer? Is it the vendor? IS it both of them when agreeing on a Price?

Look at the stock prices for RCCL and we can all see the cutbacks on their part are definitely increasing the bottom line. Good for them as a company! But when do the cutbacks affect service and food to the point of lowering quality? And what about perks for their loyal customers? That is the line drawn that we as individual customers must decide when to cross. I have cruised multiple lines and feel that RCCL, which used to be the premium line is now in line with Carnival. You can call my opinion anything you want. Will it make me stop cruising? No.

So as you see a line of lower quality and lower perks for loyal customers is drawn and you as individual customer has to decide to cross this line, I assume you have now cancelled your cruise? While you stated it does not stop you cruising it must at least stop you cruising on RCI, as otherwise you are crossing that line. If you are indeed crossing that line, what´s all the huff and puff about? t´s your decision to take it or leave it. Nobody threatens you to cruise RCI. We can rant all day on CC about how we feel about all this, but as Long as they sell their ships to capacity they have no reason to Change their Business Modell and maximising Profit is what they are in the Business for.

I also knew their repricing policy in regards to OBC, but was unaware this also was for the Diamond Plus discount. This is my ignorance, because I never had this situation come up before. :) But I am on Cruise Critic to learn and collaborate.

I grew up very poor, but I won't bore you with those details. I was taught the value of a penny. We milked Holsteins, so never could take a vacation. I was the first person on either side of the family to attend college and I became a nurse. I married a factory worker and we lived within our means. But you cannot remove this way of life from my inner being. We have zero debt, gave our children a college education, and now we cruise 2-4 times per year. We also are very generous towards others. But when I feel that I am owed $25, I politely ask for it. This is not being jaded. This is called being sensible.

Happy Cruising to All!

It´s sensible to ask for the $25 when genuinly not knowing about the (not so) new policy.

It´s jaded to not accept the answer / the new policy and start to rant about it on the Internet how unfair this is and how entitled you should be to it being a loyal customer. (Which is questionable anyway when you state how you criose so many lines:rolleyes:).