Another New Bistro Menu (Two Threads Merged)

hcat

And if you are going to leave the shakes on the menu, then at least have a choice of burger and fries. They sort of go hand in hand.

And of the 5 savory crepe choices 3 are beef. How about a shrimp or pork or a classic mushroom w bechamel sauce? I will be ordering the duck sandwich guts in a crepe!

I can't believe they got rid of the burger, if this is accurate. I ordered it 3x on my cruise and it was phenomenal.

We have a 35 night B2B booked and had planned to eat at Bistro on 5 at least 4-5 times. The menus in Blu & the MDR have been pretty much the same for the past 4-5 years and have gotten old.

If this is the new menu we won't be eating in bistro on 5. We had tried it on 4 different ships before the previous new menu which had the daily specials and never had a decent crepe and service was slow. On the plus side it was never crowded! On the Reflection in October we decided to try the new menu and the Mac & Cheese was great and so was the service. Sad to hear the menu has been scaled back.

I also read tonight that in Luminae you can no longer order from the MDR menu just the Luminae menu and the Celebrity favorites- not sure about the M class but on the S class I was under the impression the 2 restaurants shared a kitchen - it can't be that difficult to get any item from the MDR menus served in Luminae. We traveled with a couple on Reflection and between the 4 of us almost every evening 1 of us ordered from the MDR menu -didn't seem to be a problem. The cut backs are to the point that we may have to reconsider our plans beyond this winter.

Hi Hcat,

Thanks for pointing this out. Must say I'm a bit surprised, as the newer Bistro menu wasn't very old. We had a chance to try the Lamb Chops, and they were outstanding - even better than the Rack of Lamb that is (was ?) served in the MDR. My guess is, some of the specials (such as the lamb) were of higher cost, and Celebrity opted to reduce the food expenses.

What's interesting to point out... is that Celebrity highlighted the last price increase, for the new menu items. Now they are gone, and the price increase remains. Of course, I'm not expecting them to roll back the price, but it's not anything that makes you feel good about the updated menu. I don't see any other way to view this, but as another cutback <sigh>.

Hi Andy

still hoping it won't be changed on EQ 1/2/16 cruise...seems though it is fleetwide!

we'll try AQ spa cafe for some lunches if they still offer the orders of chicken and salmon

but over all we can't see how the new new menu will help fill B on 5. Pay more, get less!

Merry Christmas!

hcat

Edited by hcat

Thanksgiving week by any chance? I was on that cruise and I agree, very busy.

We were on Reflection the 2nd week of Dec. My DH especially enjoyed the soups and the burger. I had salads. The gelato desert cart was a great finish

Edited by kathynorth

That was not the menu on our 14 day New England/Canada cruise on Summit in October of this year. I will be very disappointed if this is a new menu at the same price.

I am continually amazed at the amount of "cuts" Celebrity seems to be doing, with this menu, bottled water is Aqua to name a few. I have six cruises booked and we will see how it goes.

I guess for us loyal cruisers it makes a difference but if you are new to Celebrity this is the norm and I guess that is what Celebrity is doing - trying to get more new younger cruisers at the expense of their loyal base.

We shall see -- next cruise is on Reflection in January.

Lucy

That was not the menu on our 14 day New England/Canada cruise on Summit in October of this year. I will be very disappointed if this is a new menu at the same price.

I am continually amazed at the amount of "cuts" Celebrity seems to be doing, with this menu, bottled water is Aqua to name a few. I have six cruises booked and we will see how it goes.

I guess for us loyal cruisers it makes a difference but if you are new to Celebrity this is the norm and I guess that is what Celebrity is doing - trying to get more new younger cruisers at the expense of their loyal base.

We shall see -- next cruise is on Reflection in January.

Lucy

While I can get annoyed at cuts celebrity makes, often with no notice, to something I've paid for...I have a hard time being annoyed at a cut in something they are offering at an extra price. I always book or don't book specialty restaurants based on their current menu and current price. If celebrity chooses to cut what they offer for $10, they likely lose my $10. Based on the lack of business at the bistro, they should probably care....but remember, the accountants currently control headquarters...not marketing, captain's club or any part of customer service.

Normally, we eat at bistro on 5 when we board....two weeks ago, we had great hamburgers at the mast grill instead. Extra Cost to us and Profit to Celebrity....zero.

i agree' date=' and actually always find it pleasant. And usually about 1/2 to 3/4 occupied. I am so amazed at the bad reviews and experiences at bistro. In the grand scheme of things, i don't mind the $10 at all either.

So many complain about so much issues on celebrity, threatening to no longer be a customer. Yet they are so often browsing on the celebrity cc forum. Go figure!![/quote']

a+++ :)

Hcat - Is the AQ Spa Café only available to Aqua-class passengers or open to all? We are on the 1/2 Equinox cruise; perhaps we will meet.

I'm not Hcat, but I will jump in say that the Spa Café is available to all. It is not related to AQ cabins.

Hcat - Is the AQ Spa Café only available to Aqua-class passengers or open to all? We are on the 1/2 Equinox cruise; perhaps we will meet.

Not just for AQ.....it is in the Solarium...limited seating, cafeteria style but simple clean food breakfast cereal, salads, fruit, ...and in the past one made to order item..chicken or some of the best salmon on the ship.. no charge except smoothies and maybe parfaits as I recall..

Are you on the roll call?...not too late to join! I will post a link if I can.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48566073&posted=1#post48566073

Edited by hcat

For the record, this change was made about December 12 after we had eaten there with the old new menu twice on the same cruise. We were told it was an immediate, fleet wide change.

We're picky about food, but the missing daily specials wouldn't stop us from dining there if we wanted. It can be slow, but if we've found if we give them a time frame, they will speed it up.

For the record, Lumimae line is directly next to Blu line on M-class and around the corner from MDR. All in same "space" but considered separate kitchens. I have picture if anyone is interested. They never told us we could only order classic MDR items, in fact, we were offered many special dishes.

I was also told that the products (meat, Calamari for example) used in Specialty dining like Luminae, Tuscan and Presumably B5 are better than Ocean View or MDR, I am not sure where Blu falls and didn't ask. I asked about this after we received s special meal of grilled stuffed calamari Indonesian style (you won't find that on the menus) where we received an entire stuffed squid (next to coconut shrimp). I was surprised they had it onboard like that, an entire squid, so I asked. Th calamari in Tuscan is cut from the squid, hand breaded and fried. The rings from the ocean view come pre-done apparently.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

Must say I am a bit disappointed in this if they have removed daily special. In June, my wife loved her prime rib at embarkation lunch. She made me go back a few days later and I ordered one of the specials and loved it as well! In our other X cruise prior we had BO5 on embarkation day and were disappointed with the largely crepe menu back then. Wonder why they are doing so much tinkering with the menu when it seems like people were really actually going there (from my experience in two cruises).

Bean counter cost cutting? More money to the bottom line.

Isn't that what X and the president are all about?

Must say I am a bit disappointed in this if they have removed daily special. In June, my wife loved her prime rib at embarkation lunch. She made me go back a few days later and I ordered one of the specials and loved it as well! In our other X cruise prior we had BO5 on embarkation day and were disappointed with the largely crepe menu back then. Wonder why they are doing so much tinkering with the menu when it seems like people were really actually going there (from my experience in two cruises).

Of course a restaurant only makes money if people eat there. If the menu isn't perceived as being worth $10 extra, then folks will just dine elsewhere which loses revenue for Celebrity. One can only presume that the "lost revenue" is less than the cost of preparing the specials of the day. Since revenue at that restaurant is so low (my observation), it's likely that they were wasting a lot of "specials of the day" so the change probably makes sense. I didn't think any of the menus were worth an extra $10, so for me, it's a moot point.

There is the rub. Bistro prices were increased fm $5 to $10 to cover the specials of the day. Now the specials of the day have been taken away, yet the price of Bristo stayed at $10.

Of course a restaurant only makes money if people eat there. If the menu isn't perceived as being worth $10 extra, then folks will just dine elsewhere which loses revenue for Celebrity. One can only presume that the "lost revenue" is less than the cost of preparing the specials of the day. Since revenue at that restaurant is so low (my observation), it's likely that they were wasting a lot of "specials of the day" so the change probably makes sense. I didn't think any of the menus were worth an extra $10, so for me, it's a moot point.

I was following a thread and i could swear they were talking about a New Menu for Bistro on Five...No more daily specials, no burgers or sandwiches. We love Bistro on Five for Embarkation day but are hoping they still have the same menu. We just sailed Celebrity in Nov and Dec and enjoyed it. I really hope they havent changed the menu. Thanks in advance for your help!

We will find out this weekend and try to pos from EQt...

sounds like no Lamb chops or mac and cheese for lunch!

That will leave us with the buffet, AQ spa cafe or gastro pub if open for lunches on embarkation day..

On GP not paying TEN DOLLARS pp for cowboy crepes and soup.

HAPPY NEW YR EVERYONE!

Edited by hcat

We will find out this weekend and try to pos from EQt...

sounds like no Lamb chops or mac and cheese for lunch!

That will leave us with the buffet, AQ spa cafe or gastro pub if open for lunches on embarkation day..

On GP not paying TEN DOLLARS pp for cowboy crepes and soup.

HAPPY NEW YR EVERYONE!

don't forget the mast grill and the excellent hamburgers on embarkation day

You know what's great about this site, other than the helpful people? It's that it will put the accent mark on café! I love that.

Ah, you and I are kindred spirits.

Can't decide whether to try Bistro on 5 on our next cruise and this thread hasn't helped. :D

don't forget the mast grill and the excellent hamburgers on embarkation day

Thanks for the reminder..that will probably be it..if weather coopeates in FLL....DH wil like that.....not sure if EQ has gastropub or the hrs if it does but the menu was so s for us..and hamburgers there are not free!,,

So if no better menu at B on 5, the new plan will be mast grill then spa to book appts!