No more fixed dining times in MDR?

DonRobertoSanJuan

We looked at a cruise at the end of 2016 and were not given the option for fixed time dining (only select dining). Is Celebrity getting away from fixed time dining in the MDR? Another Celebrity cruise around the same time offered fixed time dining, but only one dining time (6PM). :eek:

Fixed dining might already be sold out.

As others have said, fixed dining is likely sold out. Once you are onboard you'll likely be able to switch.

Those who book Select Dining in advance have to prepay their gratuities. Those passengers who want to use OBC for the gratuities will often book fixed dining and then switch to Select Dining once onboard.

We looked at a cruise at the end of 2016 and were not given the option for fixed time dining (only select dining). Is Celebrity getting away from fixed time dining in the MDR? Another Celebrity cruise around the same time offered fixed time dining, but only one dining time (6PM). :eek:

They want your pre-paid gratuities. LOL But seriously. They do.

They want your pre-paid gratuities. LOL But seriously. They do.

Just before final payment we paid our gratuities and got our traditional seating instantly. Since we'd been waited listed when the booking was made, as soon as routes released, we suspected as much.

Why not simply say this in writing up front?

Ruth

I think X wanting the prepaid gratuities is not true....most people don't pay the total cruise cost till close to final payment so that would give them those extra $$ for about 60 days..... it's not like ANYONE is getting great interest on their money these days....so not going to amount to much...

ANYWAY.....we just booked a 2017 cruise and ALL options were open to us....so that theory just doesn't really stand up ....

On the M-Class ships, the upper level is basically Select Dining and then they carved out a hunk of that for Blu. Then with the creation of the Suite Dining Room, Luminae, that carved out a hunk of the lower level dining room, leaving not so much space for Traditional Dining.

On the S-Class, we usually dine in Blu, so I'm not sure if the entire upper level dining room is reserved for Select or not, but in the lower level, carving out a hunk for Luminae, that also leave little left for Traditional Dining.

I just booked a December 2016 cruise last week. There was "only one seat left" in late dining so we were put into Select with a late-dining waiting list, of course with prepaid gratuities. Within days we were off of the waiting list and I had them remove the prepaid gratuities. So get on the waiting list early and keep checking.

I spoke to someone last week who was confirmed for late dining but then when she got on the ship she found that a group of 1200 people was on the ship in late dining, and everyone who wasn't in that group had been moved to Select dining. So nothing is guaranteed.

The last time I booked with a new TA she set up the non-fixed option as a default, assuming that was what we wanted.

- Joel

I think Celebrity is moving away from fixed dining. For a number of reasons. Many cruisers now seem to prefer private seating having not spent cruises where fixed dining was the norm, the growth of speciality restaurants in general but also the concept of different dining tastes/venues whether included in cruise fare or having an additional fee.

With that, there is less seating available for fixed dining and they basically are forcing some to opt for Select dining. My guess is that over time, more seating will be designated Select dining leaving less availability to fixed dining.

A big problem with fixed too, IMHO, is that many who choose fixed, actually book elsewhere during the cruise leaving their remaining tablemates without tablemates at least for one evening, maybe more. I will admit that with the ability to try other restaurants, it seems like a missed opportunity to not try them at least once and with that you create an uneven fixed dining experience for many fixed dining tables. I know we have experienced both sides.

Is it bad? I like both, but realize it is changing and fixed dining availability will decline further IMHO.

Edited by shipshape sam

When booking my last few cruises, only Select dining was available, no matter how far out the booking. In the case of two cruises, after Final Payment I was able to get my preferred (and waitlisted) time.

We found the same on a TA this April. Found it actually was another of X famous web site glitches.

We are booked for 2017 and they told me that set dining was on a waitlist. The agent put me on hold and was able to get us set up with early seating like we wanted. We don't like anytime dining. One of the reasons we don't cruise NCL is their lack of set dining.

That's probably the secret--using a TA. I'm sure they know that X is not really at their traditional dining capacity and let them know that when they call. I'm happy you got what you were looking for as I'm with you. When I do go to the MDR, I'm not a fan of anytime dining.

I think Celebrity is moving away from fixed dining. For a number of reasons. Many cruisers now seem to prefer private seating having not spent cruises where fixed dining was the norm, the growth of speciality restaurants in general but also the concept of different dining tastes/venues whether included in cruise fare or having an additional fee.

With that, there is less seating available for fixed dining and they basically are forcing some to opt for Select dining. My guess is that over time, more seating will be designated Select dining leaving less availability to fixed dining.

A big problem with fixed too, IMHO, is that many who choose fixed, actually book elsewhere during the cruise leaving their remaining tablemates without tablemates at least for one evening, maybe more. I will admit that with the ability to try other restaurants, it seems like a missed opportunity to not try them at least once and with that you create an uneven fixed dining experience for many fixed dining tables. I know we have experienced both sides.

Is it bad? I like both, but realize it is changing and fixed dining availability will decline further IMHO.

I think you're probably right with your prediction that traditional dining is on its way out. I've pretty much switched to going to the specialties for various reasons, but the last 3 or 4 X cruises I booked, and I always book a year out, and 2 were before Luminae, all forced me to anytime. It's a little aggravating, emphasis on little in the grand scheme of things. I would hate to see X go the NCL route though.

Hi Everyone,

We've just booked a few sailings in late 2017 and early 2018, and had no problems getting assigned seating in the MDR. While none of us know what Celebrity's future plans are, I'd be very surprised if they eliminated assigned seating anytime soon.

If all else fails, I suggest contacting Celebrity's Dining dept at 1-800-242-6374 (option 2).

Hope this helps, and Happy Holidays !

After being at a table for eight several times and ending up being the only two at the table some nights we gave up on set time dining. Ther are so many options now it is not like the days gone by where you went to the table and saw the same people every night. Many friendships were formed then.

After being at a table for eight several times and ending up being the only two at the table some nights we gave up on set time dining. Ther are so many options now it is not like the days gone by where you went to the table and saw the same people every night. Many friendships were formed then.

Exactly.

Hullo? Hullo?

All you fixed dining time obsessives, wake up and smell the burnt creme brulee.

Even if X was planning to do away with Fixed Time Dining, Customer Relations folks would just lie about it.

Suggest you call Celebrity Customer Relations and ask them directly rather than depending on the rumor mill here on CC.

On the M-Class ships, the upper level is basically Select Dining and then they carved out a hunk of that for Blu. Then with the creation of the Suite Dining Room, Luminae, that carved out a hunk of the lower level dining room, leaving not so much space for Traditional Dining.

On the S-Class, we usually dine in Blu, so I'm not sure if the entire upper level dining room is reserved for Select or not, but in the lower level, carving out a hunk for Luminae, that also leave little left for Traditional Dining.

Whenever people say that I ponder the fact that all the Blu and Luminae passengers previously ate on the ship. Some ate in Select and some ate in fixed. Those people still eat in similar patterns, but in different seats.

Celebrity simply moved walls within existing eating spaces.

I think that more extroverted personalities enjoy meeting new people each and every meal and are energized by the experience.

We are more introverted but can act socially extroverted to fill a roll when called upon. I find chatting and making small talk at three meals a day exhausting on longer cruises. It's fine on a seven nighter but we prefer longer cruises of at least two weeks. Tables for two are difficult to come by at popular dining times. We've had good luck on HAL getting a table for two on longer cruises at fixed times, but not on either Princess or Celebrity.

We do eat at speciality restaurants and tell our table mates the night before or on rare occasions when our plans have changed we make a point of going to the dining room to let at least let our stewards know, so that no one waits needlessly for us. We've always found that when letting everyone know our intentions others respond courteously and do the same.

Ruth

Whenever people say that I ponder the fact that all the Blu and Luminae passengers previously ate on the ship. Some ate in Select and some ate in fixed. Those people still eat in similar patterns, but in different seats.

Celebrity simply moved walls within existing eating spaces.

The point I was trying to make is that Blu and Luminae are basically "Select or Anytime" dining. That comes to 3 groups of Anytime dining carved out of the dining room (Select/Blu/Luminae) which leaves less space in the dining room for Traditional Dining.