Why no love for Anchorage?

txwriter

I've read many posts where the advice is basically, "Get out of Anchorage as quickly as you can." Why no love for the city?

I am taking my mom in May 2017 as Alaska is her one true bucket list trip. She has some limited mobility and cannot travel for multiple hours in a car every day, so I was thinking that doing some things in the city and perhaps a side trip to Palmer and then a few days on the Kenai might work for her. She does NOT want to go to Denali (partly due to the long trip there and then the long bus trips into the park).

Mom loves museums and zoos, and Anchorage has both, and the guidebooks I've read give these places good reviews. Plus, it seems like it would be easier travel on her to base in Anchorage a few days and take side trips to places like Palmer than packing and unpacking each night.

Has anyone here enjoyed Anchorage? Has anyone been successful using it as a base for a few days?

Mom will be almost 74 at the time of our trip, and we will be working in the upcoming months on improving stamina and strength for our trip, but I have to plan now based on current limitations. She enjoys a more leisurely pace but would also like to see as much as possible while in Alaska.

I have definitely enjoyed my time in Anchorage. But Alaska has much more to offer outside the city. Many people try to "base" themselves in Anchorage and do day trips, but that wastes a lot of time back and forth.

But your plan sounds good. I might spend a night or two in Seward in order to give you more time. A day trip to Seward is a lot of driving in one day (round trip to Seward is more driving than one way to Denali).

When in May are you going? The later in May the better. Sometimes it can still be winter in early May (think 2013).

Our cruise leaves from Whittier May 27, 2017.

I had planned a rough draft (several if I'm being honest) for a plan with the cruise leaving out of Seward, but Mom wanted to go to Glacier Bay and picked the Princess Southbound cruise which departs from Whittier, so I'm recalibrating.

I was actually thinking of basing around Cooper's Landing on the Kenai and then taking a day trip from there to Seward and maybe going over to Soldonta or Hope depending on what Mom really wants to do. So far, she has expressed a desire to visit the Kenai Peninsula, so I want to work that in for her. I'd like to stay in Seward, but I feel like the drive there would be too much for a single day, and then it would be a repeat of a long drive getting back to Anchorage or Whittier.

I feel like doing a little bit of Alaska well and at our own pace would be better for us than doing more Alaska at a breakneck speed and wearing ourselves out. I seriously considered a cruisetour for the ease of planning (and the fact I don't have to drive), but they don't really work for our needs.

I think I'd like to do the Kenai portion as late as possible as we might want to try and see if we can catch the first run of King Salmon which is supposed to be late May. However, I'm not sure what qualifies as "late May."

I simultaneously love and loathe trip planning. ;)

I like the Princess southbound itineraries since they go to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. But that early in the season you might not get too close to Hubbard Glacier.

Do you realize that Seward is only 20 miles further from Anchorage than Cooper Landing? So I can't see how that is a deciding point on Cooper Landing vs. Seward for driving.

I would think it is a long day from Cooper Landing to Seward, take a 6 hour Kenai Fjords boat tour then drive back to Cooper Landing. That seems way more exhausting to me than spending a night or two in Seward and include that extra 20 miles in one day's driving. Then you can move from Seward to Cooper Landing if you want.

I think your plan of slowing down a bit and not trying to "see everything" in a few days or a week is wise. I like to spend 2-3 nights in each place I visit unless I am truly "in transit." Also, I rarely bring all my luggage into the room with me at night. I just take what I need for the night in a small day pack. Way easier than lugging suitcases that I just leave in the trunk. Only when I am doing laundry or packing for the trip home do I drag all the luggage into the room.

If you do a one-way car rental you are limited to Avis, which is the only operator in Whittier. Otherwise you would have to return the car to Anchorage and find transportation from there to Whittier.

Edited by frugaltravel

Do you realize that Seward is only 20 miles further from Anchorage than Cooper Landing? So I can't see how that is a deciding point on Cooper Landing vs. Seward for driving.

You make a valid point. I had really wanted to spend a night or two in Cooper Landing (river fishing appeals to us more than ocean fishing, and the area just looks beautiful to me). The maps show a 1 hr 49 min drive to Cooper Landing from Anchorage and then a 59 minute drive from there to Seward. It seemed like a good place to split the trip especially if we wanted to take a side trip to Soldotna or Hope from there. However, it might be easier to go straight to Seward and possibly skip Cooper Landing (though the Kenai river really appeals to me), or we might be able to work both in. I'll look at it today.

May was not my idea. It was Mom's. I originally told her, "No way am I going in May. Too cold." However, since it is a good deal cheaper than going a week or two later and I will have an extra travel day due to Memorial Day, I conceded. Saving the money on an earlier date would allow us to do more with our shore excursions or go to the spa which she would love as well.

I would switch to an inside cabin from an outside to make up the difference, but Mom is adamant about having a window to avoid her claustrophobia acting up. Like I said, this trip is all about Mom. If I were on an unlimited budget, we'd shoot the moon, but I'm not, so lots of planning it is. For the pre-cruise tour, I will plan a basic outline and then give her options.

Your input has been very helpful! Thanks.

Maybe spend some time in Seward instead of Anchorage. Take the train - I thought it was very comfortable, you can get up and walk around as much as you want. Not like she has to sit for the 4 hours.

While I like Anchorage (good restaurants), I prefer Seward for pre-cruise.

May was not my idea. It was Mom's. I originally told her, "No way am I going in May. Too cold." However, since it is a good deal cheaper than going a week or two later and I will have an extra travel day due to Memorial Day, I conceded. Saving the money on an earlier date would allow us to do more with our shore excursions or go to the spa which she would love as well.

May is actually a great time. When you are cruising is my favorite time to cruise in Alaska :)

I like the Princess southbound itineraries since they go to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. But that early in the season you might not get too close to Hubbard Glacier.

I think it is pure luck with Hubbard. I got close in May to Hubbard and 9 miles in July.

Edited by Coral

I enjoy late May though in some places it has not greened up yet. I would think splitting your time between Seward and Cooper Landing would be fine. You also mentioned Anchorage but it doesn't sound like you are planning on spending too much time there yourself either! It is definitely worth a day or two if it fits in.

If you want to go to both Seward and other places on the Kenai Peninsula, I would caution you about the train. It means backtracking quite a bit and IMHO the road a,lows you to stop and absorb the scenery or take photos at will. With the train, though it goes slow, it keeps moving. I don't think in your case the train would be a good idea based on all you said about your Mom.

Also, look at map sites for mileage but not for driving times. They all underestimate driving times.

How many days would you have precruise?

I'm not sure. It depends on whether or not we do post cruise stay in YVR or SEA. It also depends on our itinerary which I haven't figured out yet. I probably won't want to use more than 12 vacation days maximum which would give me about 2-1/2 weeks total (1 week of which is cruise). Right now, I'm working around a 7 day pre-cruise timeframe so that I have a little cushion if we want to do post cruise touring or just rest after we get home. I might have to change that after we plan more detailed itinerary.

You also mentioned Anchorage but it doesn't sound like you are planning on spending too much time there yourself either! It is definitely worth a day or two if it fits in.

I was tentatively planning a minimum of three days in Anchorage (one for the travel day in).

It will really depend on our itinerary. I'm trying to avoid too much backtracking, but it's harder with Whittier as a factor.:(

For our first Alaska cruise in 2012 we did a northbound cruise and spent a few days in Vancouver pre-cruise with family then 5 days post cruise between Anchorage, Palmer, and Seward. I found the Alaska.org website invaluable http://www.alaska.org/destination/anchorage/scenic-drives

Our 2016 Alaska trip will be a cruise tour then a southbound cruise. We plan on two days in Anchorage to visit the museums and learn more about the Alaskan cultures and region.

Thanks, Coral! Hearing that May is one of your favorite times is encouraging.

Yes, end of May and June are historically dryer months (less rain). There is often still snow on the mountains but it is warm enough to do things. There is quite a bit of sunlight (June 21st has the most sunlight) also during the day. I have been sunburned in May before.

We have encountered some snow in Whittier and Yukon during this time but most of the time it is gone.

I try to go the last week in May/first week of June but have often gone the last 2 weeks in May a few times. No complaints.

Here's my perspective, having been to Alaska several times and took my mother along on one of the trips.

A visit to Cooper Landing would be nice but Seward is a better overnight location. When I took my mother, it was a DIY RV trip for 2 weeks. She was 80, so some mobility limitations. She enjoyed lunch at the Kenai Princess .. the lounge has a lovely deck overlooking the river so it's a great spot to watch the boats drift by. The color of the water is really something. We planned for a float trip but the weather was miserable. So Cooper Landing was ok but it wasn't a fun or interesting location to overnight. It's not really a town as such; there is no town center, just scattered restaurants, charters, and a few stores tucked in the woods along the road.

OTOH she really liked Seward because she could enjoy Alaska without having to be active herself ... ie the harbor was endlessly fascinating because of the constant traffic of the fishing boats, charters coming in with their catch to weigh and clean, otters playing just off shore, beautiful views across the bay to the mountains and glaciers, bald eagles overhead. Our 6hr cruise got weathered out and became a boring Bay tour so that was disappointing. We stayed at the waterfront campground so the harbor and views were right there in front of us ... even tho the weather turned stormy she was still able to enjoy herself.

The drive to Soldotna isn't too interesting after you get beyond Cooper Landing. Soldotna to Homer is more interesting because of beach access, volcano views, Ninilchik, and views of the water/mtns.

What are HER interests ?

Edited by mapleleaves
correction

There is a wonderful 14 day itinerary round trip Seattle that visits Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier (not Glacier Bay) and sails to Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka (amazingly beautiful), Icy Strait, Homer (museum), Kodiak (oceans center), Anchorage (museums) and a half day and evening in Victoria BC. (Butchart Gardens) In 2017 it is offered on the Holland America Amsterdam. The first sailing I think is late May/early June which is perfect. The Amsterdam is a nice ship with plenty of warm areas inside with big windows through which to view Alaska and a nice promenade for exercising. It's the easiest way to see a lot of different ports in Alaska.

You have a lot of time. Alaska tourist information is available online and (best of all) wonderful brochures and booklets through the mail. I get the new brochures every year and it helps me plan our trips.

Mapleleaves,

Thanks for the feedback on taking your mom. It's definitely food for thought.

My mom's interests may not be like most people's. What someone would find as dull as watching paint dry, she would find thrilling and vice versa. For example, many people enjoy the Mt. Roberts Tram and Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. Mom could care less for those things.

So far, she's told me she'd like to go fishing, pan for gold (both available in Cooper Landing), tour a little on the Kenai (driving to Seward?). I honestly think she would enjoy the solitude of Cooper Landing. She would probably like Homer, but I think adding it would eat too much of our time.

Glacier Bay and Skagway were must dos for her cruise portion (which is why we ruled out the 14 day RT HAL trip another poster mentioned though I did suggest it as an option). She is a lifelong learner, so any opportunity to get out and learn is something she will enjoy hence the desire to visit the museums and zoos as these places usually offer excellent learning opportunities. We are considering the Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage and Reindeer and Musk Ox farms in Palmer if we can as well as the SeaLife Center in Seward. We can control the pace and the amount of time we spend in each place, and the prices are not prohibitive.

In the end, we may just end up doing a few days in Anchorage at the beginning and something in Vancouver at the end of our cruise which is what prompted me to post regarding whether anyone ever spent time in Anchorage and enjoyed it.

I'm not a city person so I'm one of those who immediately heads out of Anchorage.

FYI .... there are gold panning opportunities along the Turnagain Arm, within 40 minutes of Anchorage

http://indianvalleymine.com/

http://www.crowcreekmine.com/Crow_Creek_Mine/History_of_a_Gold_Mine.html

This link provides suggested stopping points for several scenic drives:

http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/scenic-drives

And I assume you've looked at the Anchorage city web site:

http://www.anchorage.net/things-to-do/

And this Kenai P site will lead you to each town's web site. Send for some free visitor guides. http://kenaipeninsula.org/destinations

I'm sure you'll both have a great trip!

If your Mom likes museums, there are two excellent ones here in Anchorage. You said your Mom has mobility problems, but you didn't state what, so that can be minor or major....If you use handicap parking, be aware that handicap parking is NOT free in Anchorage....Anyway, the Anchorage museum has amazing cultural exhibits...It is associated with the Smithsonian, so you know it is good. The Alaska Native Heritage museum will be open at that time, and it has native singing, dancing and story telling as well as Alaskan athletics which are much, much different than your average athletics....How often have you done an ear pull or a seal jump...(this is a high jump while on your knees and your knuckles). both museums have chairs....There is also a federal Parks building on 4th Ave. that has a nice exhibit and wonderful short movies on many aspects of Alaska. The Wildlife conservation center is about 45 minutes south of Anchorage and you can drive through there, although they have a bear walk which is fascinating. They have almost every animal that is in Alaska and they do wonderful things. They have put almost 125 Woodland Bison back in the artic where they had become extinct years ago. The musk ox farm is fun, but involves a moderate degree of walking....the reindeer farm is also close to that, and the road up to Hatchers Pass and Independence Mine is wonderful. It may or may not be open if there is still snow up there. Anchorage is a wonderful city and people who bypass it, loose alot.....Get in touch with the Anchorage Visitor Center and ask them to send you information on the Anchorage area and the city.....

There is a lot of very good stuff to do in Anchorage. With your interest in a museum you may also like the Alaska Native Heritage Center. Consider the Culture Pass that will get you into both at a discount. This site shows the shuttle schedule to both the museum and Heritage Center.

http://www.alaskaculturepass.org/

This shuttle as well a free shuttle to the zoo and the trolley all depart from the Log Cabin Visitor Center.

There is a trolley tour takes about 50 minutes and gives you a quick overview of the downtown and airport with some history of the area including the 1964 earthquake. The trolley is $20.

Anchorage is a wonderful city and people who bypass it, loose alot.....Get in touch with the Anchorage Visitor Center and ask them to send you information on the Anchorage area and the city.....

This is what I thought after doing my initial research. I like visiting different cities and getting an idea of what makes the lifestyle there different or unique; museums, cultural centers, marketplaces (all of which Anchorage has) are a great way to better understand the people that live there.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely be contacting the visitor center in Anchorage.

By the way, my mother has decent mobility but will probably take a walker which increases her stamina and gives her a place to sit if needed. She had back surgery last May; the doctor said it may take over a year to get the full amount of recovery, so I'm not sure how she will be when we travel. Right now, she can have a day where she can be out and about for several hours and another when just a 30 minute grocery store run will make her leg hurt (believe it or not, it's related to her back). Her stamina is greatly improved since surgery, and it may get even better. I just want to plan for the limits we have now and hope for less limitations by the time our trip comes around.

Edited by txwriter

This shuttle as well a free shuttle to the zoo and the trolley all depart from the Log Cabin Visitor Center.

There is a trolley tour takes about 50 minutes and gives you a quick overview of the downtown and airport with some history of the area including the 1964 earthquake. The trolley is $20.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. The trolley tour sounds like something we might be able to work in our first day or maybe our last before boarding the ship.

I've greatly enjoyed my touring of Anchorage. Your interest, sounds like a sound decision.

You need to look more into your fishing, especially if thinking the Kenai River or Russian River- which has a season. Look at the Alaska Fish and Game charts.

You need to look more into your fishing, especially if thinking the Kenai River or Russian River- which has a season. Look at the Alaska Fish and Game charts.

It's on my to do list. There are other options for fishing out of Seward or even Ketchikan as well. My great granddad was a big river fisherman who had wanted to go to Alaska to find gold but decided to marry my great grandmother and stay in Texas instead. He used to regularly catch huge river cats on the Brazos (I've seen pictures where they are as long as he was tall, and he was about 6 ft.). Mom wants to feel what it would be like if he had gone, and the river just holds more meaning for her, so it's our first choice. For this, I think I will have to wait a couple of months. I've been in contact with a couple of outfits that are promising, but I really need to talk to them. The fishing is probably going to be our one really big excursion in Alaska. If we can't fish on the river, I think we'll still want to do a river float on the Kenai just to soak the sights and sounds up.

Edited by txwriter