NCL- WORST Guest Services

jessicasquared

I get that, but for example who goes to a restaurant, has a bad meal and then calls the restaurant a few days later to complain about it?

You really do not get anything or your a troll. ...

The OP stated that they complained to Guest services while on the ship and we're instructed to contact NCL when they got home which they did....now over 30 days later and still no answers she calls....

Edited by canadianeh934

I get that, but for example who goes to a restaurant, has a bad meal and then calls the restaurant a few days later to complain about it?

The person that is told the owner isn't available and is told to call later when he is? But again whether or not the OP tried to resolve the issue onboard on not is irrelevant (although it appears that she did)- NCL's shoreside response is nothing short of shameful, especially for an organization that is striving to improve itself.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad vacation and follow up afterward. Sometimes being very vocal in social media makes a difference. Not only here, but any other outlet you can find. That is of course, if you are very detailed and honest about everything, which I think you will be.

Laugh all you like. Have you ever tried it? Works almost every time. I'm speaking from experience both from a consumer side and the corporate side. I deal with issues on our corporate site, my team is customer experience. Issues that customers write directly to the CEO (and I work somewhere with over 200k employees worldwide), get escalated. Don't care if you believe me, I know for a fact that they get addressed. They are forwarded to our team and become high priority.

Actually a better option (and immediate accessibility to a human on the phone) is to get their corporate communications department on the phone and let them know succinctly what the problem is and how it has been responded to so far and that you want an empowered human in customer service to respond by telephone with an apology before the end of the business day or you will be contacting Conde Nast for resolution through the Ombudsman. It typically gets a response within the hour.

Find a name and phone number in the bottom if a press release on one of the several wire agencies web sites or in the investors portion of the web site.

The person who is told the owner is not available while they are in the restaurant.

The bathroom problem to me is a valid complaint. We have had problems with a toilet over flowing and it was kids in a room next to ours flushing stuff down and clogging up the system. It was corrected after the second time and the plumbers figured out what was happening. She deserves something for the bath problems.

As far a people complaining about the anchor being dropped or the stabilizers in ruff weather, or the thrusters making noise get a life its a moving object and will have noises. What are they suppose to do wait until everyone is awake to dock. All these things have to be done and only take a few minutes, turn over and go back to sleep. If you can't handle a little noise stay in a nice quite motel instead.

Ummm...a person who would rather wait until the evidence is gone and time has passed so that witnesses would start forgetting what really happened?

Wow, the sheer level of excuses being made for NCL is exceptional.

Welcome to the NCL board! LOL These people will defend NCL like you're talking about their late mother. It's the kind of blind loyalty that corporations live for.

I like NCL as much as the next guy. I'm Platinum on them and have been cruising on them since the 80's. This being said I'm not so brainwashed that I can't see when they screw up, and I certainly don't need to make excuses for them. They are a corporation and not a person. Their feelings will not get hurt.

While I've had great experiences on the ships as of late, the shoreside experience is very different. None of what the OP describes surprises me.

The bathroom problem to me is a valid complaint. We have had problems with a toilet over flowing and it was kids in a room next to ours flushing stuff down and clogging up the system. It was corrected after the second time and the plumbers figured out what was happening. She deserves something for the bath problems.

As far a people complaining about the anchor being dropped or the stabilizers in ruff weather, or the thrusters making noise get a life its a moving object and will have noises. What are they suppose to do wait until everyone is awake to dock. All these things have to be done and only take a few minutes, turn over and go back to sleep. If you can't handle a little noise stay in a nice quite motel instead.

Motel and quiet don't belong in the same sentence together.

If the OP had booked a specific room that was in an area away from mechanical noises and moved to the room which was perhaps one of the noisiest on the ship without their consent, the line owes them something (provided it wasn't a GTY room). I think we need more info on their booking to determine what that "something" might be.

I have been moved once by a line, and they called and asked if it was OK first as they were upgrading me to a room that due to it's position on the ship might be considered inferior to where the cabin I had booked was located. It was the appropriate way to manage the situation. There are some "upgraded" cabins on that ship I wouldn't have accepted due to location being far to close to anchors and tender doors.

Welcome to the NCL board! LOL These people will defend NCL like you're talking about their late mother. It's the kind of blind loyalty that corporations live for.

I like NCL as much as the next guy. I'm Platinum on them and have been cruising on them since the 80's. This being said I'm not so brainwashed that I can't see when they screw up, and I certainly don't need to make excuses for them. They are a corporation and not a person. Their feelings will not get hurt.

While I've had great experiences on the ships as of late, the shoreside experience is very different. None of what the OP describes surprises me.

It's nice to read posts from a loyal customer who accepts that a line isn't perfect and is willing to offer criticism where it is due.

It's so odd to me that on a forum meant to warn others about good and bad service there are people here complaining about my post. My post is 100% accurate. I have nothing to gain or lose about stating my experience here. I am under no illusion that people will not stop cruising NCL because of my post.

My ORIGINAL issue was 1) They last minute moved our room to the very front under the anchor. We were woken 5 of the 7 mornings at 6-7am with 30-50 minutes of roaring noise and our room shaking. 2) Our toilet didn't work 4 of the 7 days. 3) They used our hallway as art storage (see room 8005 on Star). I called and visited the guest services every single day and they were unable to help me besides continuing to send a plumber to our area.

Let me give you a little food for thought on how to complain about these issues: I am not criticizing you, only helping you to reframe your issues so that they paint a clear picture of what was wrong with your cruise. Please take the questions I ask as rhetorical rather than as questions I expect you to answer here.

In regards to your issues, to me, the toilet issue is the MOST important one because you don't have a functional cabin without a toilet that works. The absolute minimum thing a cruise line owes you is a cabin with a fully working bathroom. When the plumber failed to fix the toilet twice, did guest services offer you another cabin? If not, why not - what was their explanation? If they did, why didn't you move? Did you escalate this issue to the hotel manager? And what was the outcome of this? These are the things you need to include in your letter.

In regards to the anchor, what you experienced is normal for cabins near the anchor. The noise and vibration are noticeable but to be expected given the cabin position. We had a cabin like this on Celebrity in the Med and the noise and vibration was brief - perhaps 10 - 15 minutes at most, but noticeable, however, we were almost always awake and having breakfast at that time because we were off the ship most days by 8am if not earlier to go on tours. Knowing this would be the situation, I chose this front corner cabin because it was a huge 500 sq ft 2 bedroom suite for only a tiny bit more money than a regular Verandah cabin. So in order to get a drastically better room, I accepted the noise and vibration as a trade off and things worked out well for us. However, NCL switching your cabin at the last minute is puzzling. I would focus more on wanting to know why your cabin was switched. Did you take a guarantee or upgrade or what caused the switch? Did guest services explain this to you onboard? If you take a guarantee, typically, you get whatever cabins are left and these are usually the worst, so then the fault on this issue is not NCL's. A guarantee simply means you get a cabin in the category you selected or better. It is kind of like playing lotto. I see you got the lowest possible cabin category. If your cabin was just suddenly switched without explanation and you had booked a specific cabin, not a guarantee, then the fault is NCL's. If you booked a higher category, the fault is NCL's. So you need to specifically state the circumstances of the cabin switch.

In regards to the art storage in your cabin hallway, how did that impact your actual cruise? Would that really have been a problem to you if you otherwise had a great cruise? The reason I'm asking is that when you complain about stuff like this you need a clear reason that it was a problem for you such as you are in a wheelchair and it made it difficult to navigate the corridor or that you couldn't get your scooter down the hall at all or that you were on crutches and this was a constant tripping hazard or that it fell due to the ship's motion and hit you. On most cruises, the cabin hallways have various obstacles including luggage, the cabin stewards carts, vacuums and cords and room service trays, room service carts, sometimes scooters and everyone knows this and walks around them. Apparently NCL stores art in this particular hallway. Focus on how that art storage made your cruise worse than normal or how this was dangerous - for example, were you hit by a loose piece of art? Did you go to the ship's doctor for treatment of an injury? Did you take a photo? Did you report it to guest services and if so, what did they do about it? If this was just a case of art being stored in the hall and it was not dangerous or falling and you could easily get around it, then I don't think you should complain about it as it comes across as petty in light of you having a cabin without a functional bathroom for 4 days of your cruise. If it was dangerous, then hopefully you took pictures and reported it to guest services and the Hotel Director. So the next issue would be what were the results of your notifying them of this?

The most important thing to understand about complaining in regards to your cruise is that each ship is like a little city with its own government and personnel. Complaining onboard the ship is usually the most effective way to get things remedied as the witnesses and people responsible for the ship and evidence are all present and they can actually do something at the time you are on the ship to remedy the situation in most cases. Once you get off the ship, it is very hard to get all the witnesses and information back together and the onshore customer service people have to launch an investigation and call or email the ship and talk to the people involved and find out what their story is and if your story jibes with their story. The people on the ship may or may not respond quickly. Then the onshore customer service people have to make a determination of what to do. This is why it takes so long for customer service to respond on land. Also, the importance of resolving the problem immediately is gone because you are no longer on the ship.

Motel and quiet don't belong in the same sentence together.

If the OP had booked a specific room that was in an area away from mechanical noises and moved to the room which was perhaps one of the noisiest on the ship without their consent, the line owes them something (provided it wasn't a GTY room). I think we need more info on their booking to determine what that "something" might be.

I have been moved once by a line, and they called and asked if it was OK first as they were upgrading me to a room that due to it's position on the ship might be considered inferior to where the cabin I had booked was located. It was the appropriate way to manage the situation. There are some "upgraded" cabins on that ship I wouldn't have accepted due to location being far to close to anchors and tender doors.

They can change your room read your contract. Even if it is picked by you or a GTY. If they changed her room and they had a GTY it would have been the same cat. or a upgrade. Complaining about the anchor dropping is not a valid complaint, I say get a life and grow up. Its not like it goes on for hours.

Edited by mmckm

It's nice to read posts from a loyal customer who accepts that a line isn't perfect and is willing to offer criticism where it is due.

I find a balanced approach is always best. I try to do the same with my reviews. Nothing is ever perfect but nothing is all bad either. Call a spade a spade. There are a lot of blind loyalists out there (especially at NCL) but to be fair there are also those that only see the negative as well.

They can change your room read your contract. Even if it is picked by you or a GTY. If they changed her room and they had a GTY it would have been the same cat. or a upgrade. Complaining about the anchor dropping is not a valid complaint, I say get a life and grow up. Its not like it goes on for hours.

How are those Pom Poms doing?

There are many things any corporation "can" do, but can and should are very different terms. Despite what some companies think, there are a finite number of potential customers, and when they begin hearing about how poorly that company treats customers, they move on to a different one.

Unless the OP booked a GTY, there is no excuse for moving them without asking for approval first. It's guest service at it's worst. The clogged toilet is reprehensible. I don't care why it is clogged, if the engineers can't fix it, fire them and hire some who can. That is so unacceptable that it warrants the return of a prorated cruise fare.

I find a balanced approach is always best. I try to do the same with my reviews. Nothing is ever perfect but nothing is all bad either. Call a spade a spade. There are a lot of blind loyalists out there (especially at NCL) but to be fair there are also those that only see the negative as well.

Agree. Unfortunately I've seen them on these boards with every line I have sailed except Windstar.

Ummm...a person who would rather wait until the evidence is gone and time has passed so that witnesses would start forgetting what really happened?

Bingo, Their is no time like the present to take care of an issue. And no I'm trolling

Edited by Laszlo

I have been on 10 Carnival cruises and have booked my first NCL on Epic since it will be at Port Canaveral next fall,i can already feel the huge diference when speaking with NCL customer service verses Carnival,Carnival is so more inviting fun and friendly,i do not have a good feeling at all with NCL customer service!

Bingo, Their is no time like the present to take care of an issue.

And no I'm not trolling, NCL customer service after the fact should be much better but its not.

As I stated earlier, there are times when one can try to get resolution while on board and not have a problem resolved. I tried for four days to get resolution to an issue while on board, including speaking to senior officers about it, and was put through the wringer, even after I showed irrefutable proof of my complaint. I was treated rudely and until I proved with a photo taken by the ships photographer, not believed. Even then, my complaint was dismissed. It was ultimately resolved after I got home, but the hoops I had to jump through to be reimbursed for my out of pocket loss left such a bad taste in my mouth that I wouldn't ever recommend that line again.

So, unless the OP is willing to satisfy your curiosity, her complaint isn't valid. :rolleyes:

Probably more like: If the OP doesn't want the issue discussed, then they probably shouldn't have posted it on a public discussion forum in the first place.

JMHO, but this whole "I'm mad at the company, please give me blind support and don't ask for details" game is a bit much...

It's so odd to me that on a forum meant to warn others about good and bad service there are people here complaining about my post. My post is 100% accurate. I have nothing to gain or lose about stating my experience here. I am under no illusion that people will not stop cruising NCL because of my post.

My ORIGINAL issue was 1) They last minute moved our room to the very front under the anchor. We were woken 5 of the 7 mornings at 6-7am with 30-50 minutes of roaring noise and our room shaking. 2) Our toilet didn't work 4 of the 7 days. 3) They used our hallway as art storage (see room 8005 on Star). I called and visited the guest services every single day and they were unable to help me besides continuing to send a plumber to our area. It wasn't just my room but the room beside ours as well. There were other smaller issues that weren't a big deal so they were left unmentioned. I am not a cruise complainer. The reason for my post wasn't to complain about my cruise, it was to tell the forum about the horrendous guest services experience I have gotten. I would LOVE to hear "the other side of the story". lol As of yet I have gotten nothing.

I called today (which is not a holiday) to get an update as they were well past the 15 days they told me. I did not call Maria and didn't know she was talking to me from home until she yelled at me about it. The rep only said he was "walking over there".

If you don't feel my post is important, it's fake, not written well...etc, why respond at all? I appreciate some of you are die hard NCL fans. Maybe one of you can get Maria's manager's name because according to her she doesn't have one. lol

To everyone else, thank you for your support.

Well said Jessica! I know some people on these boards just want to argue and be rude. I am sorry about the way you were treated by customer service, shame on them. Also, that is terrible what happened on your cruise, I hope nothing like that happens to me. I hope you can get some answers and I hope the CS people get reprimanded for treating you that way :)

Probably more like: If the OP doesn't want the issue discussed, then they probably shouldn't have posted it on a public discussion forum in the first place.

JMHO, but this whole "I'm mad at the company, please give me blind support and don't ask for details" game is a bit much...

Agreed

Her issue is the pathetic non-response from Customer Service, not the underlying merit or non-merit of whatever her complaint was. People keep trying to deflect from the main issue by bringing up irrelevancies. (And I would think we would all want NCL to provide the finest Customer Service among all of the cruise lines, wouldn't we?)

Edited by sparks1093

It is alright to ask for help in getting a answer without stating the problem, but it raises concern when the post is titled the "NCL - Worst Guest Services" without stating what the issue is.

Re-read your own statement. The OP stating that NCL has the "Worst Guest Services" IS THE ISSUE.

Her issue is the pathetic non-response from Customer Service, not the underlying merit or non-merit of whatever her complaint was. People keep trying to deflect from the main issue by bringing up irrelevancies. (And I would think we would all want NCL to provide the finest Customer Service among all of the cruise lines, wouldn't we?)

Aside from the fact that there is only an alleged non-response, as nothing being claimed can be confirmed, this whole thing is starting to smell like "worst customer service" = "I'm just angry because I didn't get my way".