Pacific Eden Gastro Intestinal Outbreak - Media Reports

The SMH and Newcastle Herald are reporting issues on the current Pacific Eden cruise

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/pacific-eden-cruise-ship-rocked-by-claims-it-is-a-floating-sick-bay-20151226-glv5d2.html

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3616910/pleasure-cruise-proves-too-hard-to-stomach/?cs=3

Is this another media beat up or are there real issues (other than the normal rate of illness on a ship) - they mention Noro Virus

Anyone on-board able to comment?

Edited by Bodogbodog

The SMH and Newcastle Herald are reporting issues on the current Pacific Eden cruise

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/pacific-eden-cruise-ship-rocked-by-claims-it-is-a-floating-sick-bay-20151226-glv5d2.html

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3616910/pleasure-cruise-proves-too-hard-to-stomach/?cs=3

Is this another media beat up or are there real issues (other than the normal rate of illness on a ship) - they mention Noro Virus

Anyone on-board able to comment?

And what are the general thoughts of the experienced CC community re this:

1. After the PREVIOUS gastro outbreak on Dec 16 Eden was sanitised (and delayed for 4 hours to do this)

2. The ship does NOT have a buffet (one of the few ships only) so the major source of contamination is avoided. There are apparently also NO salt and pepper shakers on the tables in the main restaurant (according to the previous reviews), which should further reduce the risk.

3. The newspaper report shows a photo of a sign in the toilets to use the paper towel to open the door - so the right thing is being done.

4.If only a very small number of people (15) contacted gastro on the last cruise,according to P&O - then why are they running so quickly to the Herald with a story??

Is is perhaps just one more symptom of their general frustration and dissatisfaction of people with other aspects of the ship??

Wow! What can I say...

I have never heard so many people complaining on one ship at the same time about so many different issues.

So many flooded cabins reported, code 'red' for noro virus throughout the cruise and P&O's communication onboard was pretty poor.

I will be posting a full daily blog report shortly. I can only say, I was pretty shocked by the sheer quantity of unhappy passengers .

More to come when I get organised. Lots of washing and unpacking to be done first.

PO Australia have not had a happy run since those ships arrived in Australia.

A passenger more likely brought noro on board. I wonder if there were any b2b passengers that sailed on the cruise prior (where they clenaned it afterwards) and this one.

The sign about using paper towels is fairly common practice when a code red is in force.

Herald Sun probably asked them for comment when preparing the story and PO Australia provided it. I don't see it as a case of running. Maybe just trying to stay on top of the story.

I believe cruiselines have to report to some authority if there is more than a certain number of cases of noro on a cruise (someone else might be able to provide more light on this).

Wow! What can I say...

I have never heard so many people complaining on one ship at the same time about so many different issues.

So many flooded cabins reported, code 'red' for noro virus throughout the cruise and P&O's communication onboard was pretty poor.

I will be posting a full daily blog report shortly. I can only say, I was pretty shocked by the sheer quantity of unhappy passengers .

More to come when I get organised. Lots of washing and unpacking to be done first.

Mark - Look forward to hearing your review, because you can provide first hand knowledge.

PO Australia have not had a happy run since those ships arrived in Australia.

A passenger more likely brought noro on board. I wonder if there were any b2b passengers that sailed on the cruise prior (where they clenaned it afterwards) and this one.

The sign about using paper towels is fairly common practice when a code red is in force.

Herald Sun probably asked them for comment when preparing the story and PO Australia provided it. I don't see it as a case of running. Maybe just trying to stay on top of the story.

I believe cruiselines have to report to some authority if there is more than a certain number of cases of noro on a cruise (someone else might be able to provide more light on this).

I am pretty sure that as part of the documentation a ship has to supply when entering any port....the ships doctor has to present a statement on the health of all passengers on board.

....the ships doctor has to present a statement on the health of all passengers on board

While they may well do that - that could at best be a "to the best of my knowledge" type of declaration as Doctors do not examine all passengers and it really relies on the honestly of passengers who are ill or experiencing symptoms to come forward - and we all know they don't all do that

While they may well do that - that could at best be a "to the best of my knowledge" type of declaration as Doctors do not examine all passengers and it really relies on the honestly of passengers who are ill or experiencing symptoms to come forward - and we all know they don't all do that

Just like the honesty of passengers when completing the health form at boarding. They rather say yes they are fine, than miss their trip and lose money if they are carrying some bug.

Someone would have brought noro onto the ship.

Edited by icat2000

Just like the honesty of passengers when completing the health form at boarding. They rather say yes they are fine, than miss their trip and lose money if they are carrying some bug.

Someone would have brought noro onto the ship.

Up to one third of people infected with noro (and therefore capable of transmitting it) have NO symptoms. They dont know so they cant declare it.

Incubation time to symptoms is from 10 to 50 hours. You could be fine whilst you board but soon after develop symptoms. (I say soon, it could be two days into the trip)

You start shedding the virus hours before you develop symptoms, and continue to shed the virus for an unknown period after you feel better. So even if you report yourself and go into quarantine you could still have spread.

Up to one third of people infected with noro (and therefore capable of transmitting it) have NO symptoms. They dont know so they cant declare it.

Incubation time to symptoms is from 10 to 50 hours. You could be fine whilst you board but soon after develop symptoms. (I say soon, it could be two days into the trip)

You start shedding the virus hours before you develop symptoms, and continue to shed the virus for an unknown period after you feel better. So even if you report yourself and go into quarantine you could still have spread.

Interesting thanks for sharing.

Hows this for a questionnaire...

In 2008 when we boarded HAL's Rotterdam in Valparaiso we had to fill out a Health Form before we could check in. Noro was getting a lot of publicity then.

One question that rocked me, along with most other passengers was..

In last 3 days have you passed a loose stool?

If you answered yes , they had a doctor on hand that you had to visit.

To the best of my knowledge no one answered Yes , and I have never seen that question asked again.:eek:

I just like how anything posted on facebook is reported by the media as absolute fact. Not just this story, they often take anything and run with it.

I feel for people that are sick on this cruise, but the media do like to beat up things for a sensational headline.

Not just this story, they often take anything and run with it.....but the media do like to beat up things for a sensational headline.

So true - some elements of the "media" have zero investigative skills and resort to sensationalising stories - and some are just puppets of the PR machines who publish PR propaganda

It does read like a media beat up sadly.

Not to say that there aren't issues, or it's perfect. However, someone's sent in photos of dust behind a sofa, and a crack behind a light and similar issues, then complaining that the sickness is because of "mould" rather than being brought onboard and alleging that it's therefore P&O's fault and not any passenger. And the Newcastle Herald is using that as the centre of their story.

It does read like a media beat up sadly.

Not to say that there aren't issues, or it's perfect. However, someone's sent in photos of dust behind a sofa, and a crack behind a light and similar issues, then complaining that the sickness is because of "mould" rather than being brought onboard and alleging that it's therefore P&O's fault and not any passenger. And the Newcastle Herald is using that as the centre of their story.

I hadn't seen that one. I saw a repeat of a tweet (twit) that said someone had told her that half the ship was sick. I reckon there would be some serious health department intervention if that was actually true. As it was quoted that it came from "A public relations consultant and former Liberal candidate for the seat of Newcastle, Jaimie Abbott, told her Facebook friends that it had been a "floating disaster ship"." :confused: I am so unsure what to believe. A failed political candidate. How true could it be?

I guess that means it is a slow news day, so in one way, that might be a good thing thing.

Edited by goodycruising

Wow! What can I say...

UPDATE - More Eden details - Sydney Herald 12.46 pm - including Video. Gastro numbers climbed to 60. Heading of that story: 'Worse than a one-star motel': P&O Pacific Eden cruise sees 60 hit with gastro"

Link here: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/worse-than-a-onestar-motel-po-pacific-eden-cruise-sees-60-hit-with-gastro-20151227-glvm4r.html

Really keen to see the review of this 'horror' (??) cruise.

Wow, what a surprise to once again see Cyrix400 present in a thread criticising P&O... :rolleyes:

Wasn't there supposedly 181 people with noro on Explorer a few weeks back? That's three times the amount that have supposedly gotten sick on Eden. I honestly don't know why news outlets feel the need to report on it. Fact is, norovirus is more common on dry land.

Looking at the pictures supplied in the video. I would have been disappointed too if I had paid the prices that PO asked when these itineraries where released.

PO Australia did IMHO over hype these ships. They are old hand me downs from HAL that they tried to tart up a little bit. They should have asked more moderate prices.

I won't be selling with PO any time again. Not even if it was dirt cheap.

There were some very rude bar staff on the Jewel serving in the bar near the pools. However the wait staff in the pantry were lovely.

Edited by icat2000

Wow, what a surprise to once again see Cyrix400 present in a thread criticising P&O... :rolleyes:

Wasn't there supposedly 181 people with noro on Explorer a few weeks back? That's three times the amount that have supposedly gotten sick on Eden. I honestly don't know why news outlets feel the need to report on it. Fact is, norovirus is more common on dry land.

The comment of Royalty X re Explorer noro is valid - even QM2 had its share of gastric problems.

But if you read the comments made in the news reports, you will probably agree that P&O seems to be rather slow to fix other ongoing problems giving rise to the added passenger frustration on Eden - like the still cold food in restaurants, and apparently allowing people to access staterooms upon boarding - but before they have been cleaned (as it is done on other ships, when such problems occur.)

Interesting to see that in the news story that P&O media spokesman said that 'any passengers who had grievances about cruise should contact P&O and the issues would be worked through on a case-by-case basis'

So that, in my view, any passenger affected by other issues on this or future Eden & Aria cruises ( including plumbing issues in cabins) should vigorously pursue these matters with P&O as some compensation may be in order.

As previously noted on the other thread, I have previously posted some answers and clarifications received from the Corporate Communication Manager of P&O, which I sought in light of CC threads.

And I still wonder if Eden and Aria will EVER reach the 45% 'loved it' CC rating achieved by their other 3 P&O Aust ships.