Venice by train to Civitavecchia question

scher

Hope I am not bothering anyone on here because I posed this question on another group and got some pretty snotty answers.

I am traveling from Venice by Train to get to the port of Civitavecchia for my departure at 5pm. Understanding that you need to be there the latest a hour before embarking. Is this a difficult task to do If I leave Venice at like 8 am? Or should I leave Venice the night before and stay overnight in Rome. I am hoping to not have to do that as one more stopover in a hotel is a bit of a inconvenience but would do it as to not miss the boat. Thanks in advance.

Did you check schedules on the trenitalia web site?

I don't know your travel date but looking at a random day in January, there was a train from Venezia S Lucia to Civitavecchia, 7:25am - 1:04pm. There are a few stations in Civi but that gives you an idea.

I wouldn't chance an arrival any later than 1pm... you need a few hours of wiggle room in case there's a delay of any kind. Actually I would prefer to be in port the day PRIOR to sailing but that's my comfort zone.

While the Trenitalia schedule does list multiple stations for Civitavecchia, from a practical point you are only dealing with one station (Civitavecchia). The Italian trains are pretty reliable but you are talking about a long distance and we would not gamble beyond reason. Accordingly, you might want to consider the train that leaves around 7:25 and would get you into Civitavecchia at 12:39 with a single train change at Rome's huge Termini Station. Keep in mind that is based on the current schedules, which may change between now and your actual travel date. There is also a pretty long walk between trains in Rome, since the regionale train that runs from Termini to Civitavecchia usually leaves from a track that is located at a far end of the Termini...which means you have a hike (within the station) where you will have to roll your own luggage.

Once you arrive Civitavecchia you still need to get from the station to your ship. If there is a taxi available (not always the case) this would be the easiest since they can transport you from the station directly to your pier. Otherwise, you would probably take the local bus to stop from where you can get a free port shuttle bus to your ship. This can take a good half hour (depending on connections) which is another reason not to cut the time too close.

We always preach about having a "Plan B" in case things go really wrong. In your case, if there happened to be a train strike (usually announced well in advance) you could do a one-way rental car from Venice to Civitavecchia (we usually prefer Hertz or Europcar). And the even worst case is that if you miss your ship can you easily catch-up the following day? If your ship is on the mainland of Italy or in France this would be very possible. This sounds far fetched, but over forty years of extensive international travel/cruises has taught us to always think about worst case options....which often helps avoid any worst case :).

Hank

Wow that is great amazing information. I think my safest plan will def be to enter into rome the day before and plan on heading to the port early in the morning. I can now see by Hanks explication how things can possible go awry. Thank you so much. It is very appreciated.

If you're already planning time in Rome after your cruise, you could spend the night before your cruise in Civitavecchia. There are decent hotels within a short walk from the station. Many of them are popular with cruisers, and it's usually very easy and cheap to arrange a shuttle from there to the ship. We paid €5/person from the Hotel Miramare to the ship in November. The driver was able to take us right up to the ship, and we didn't have to get on the shuttle from the port gate.

I would travel Day 1 Venezia (St Lucia) - Firenze - Pisa Centrale and stay overnight in Pisa. Day 2 Pisa Centrale - Civitavecchia direct train, avoids Roma altogether .in time to board your vessel with plenty time to spare. Check out times on Trenitalia website . Hotel Bologna in Pisa is a good choice .

Alternatively travel Venezia (St Lucia) - Firenze SMN - Pisa Centrale - Civitavecchia in a day and stay overnight in Civitavecchia . Again avoids Roma . In this case Hotel Miramare on the waterfront in Civitavecchia is a good choice .

Book direct with both hotels via their websites .

Euro and I do think alike on many travel issues :). Personally we would probably do a one-way rental car (which I did mention in the previous post) because we actually enjoy driving in Italy. In Venice, most of the major rental car agencies have an office in the Piazale Roma (accessible from the cruise port by the People Mover). But a rental car option is often not workable if the drop day is on a Sunday (you must carefully check to make sure the rental car offices are open on that day). When we have done that drive on our own, we normally plan our overnight in Florence (the Hotel David has free parking) since we like dining out in this city. This leaves about a 3 1/2 hour drive the day of the cruise (not a problem if you leave early in the morning). We do not recommend driving into Rome...so if you wanted to do that overnight in Rome then we think the train is a better option.

Hank

We are a family of 4 so driving a rental would be a good option except we drive on the right side of the road here. Is it opposite in Italy? I would love to stay in Florence and forgo rome. The port hotel seems like a good choice also. Can I pre reserve a car from hertz? And where would I pick it up and then where would I drop it off

We are a family of 4 so driving a rental would be a good option except we drive on the right side of the road here. Is it opposite in Italy? I would love to stay in Florence and forgo rome. The port hotel seems like a good choice also. Can I pre reserve a car from hertz? And where would I pick it up and then where would I drop it off

Italians are supposed to drive on the same side of the road as Americans. But we know both people have problems with that concept. :D:D;)

You can rent a car the same way in Italy as you would anywhere else. You just have to do the research to figure out where it is best to pick up and drop off.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I wouldn't hesitate to do this (e.g., take the train to Civitavecchia from Venice on the day of your cruise) -- but I'm fairly experienced and know how to navigate the train system, I know the set-up at Civitavecchia, and I am able to manage my own luggage, etc.

Regarding the possibility of train strikes in Italy, I put the information below on your other post on the Celebrity board but then I thought it may be useful here as well:

Strikes in Italy are not as common as many cruisers would seem to think. Also, they are rarely more than a half day or day in duration; certain trains are still guaranteed to run (including many of the longer distance ones), and there is a site where about 99% of the time they are posted well in advance. (And a number of these are often called off before the scheduled date because the strike issue is resolved.)

I've been to Italy many, many times over the past decade and have used the trains without a single problem on many of my trips -- both short and long distance. You just have to do the legwork.

Here is a statement (in English) directly from Trenitalia on how they operate during a strike: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en/Pu...case-of-strike

And here is the official list of all (not just train) upcoming strikes: http://scioperi.mit.gov.it/mit2/public/scioperi

Under "settore" (sector) you just have to look for "ferroviario" (train). Most apply to specific areas only but a few may be general.

At any rate, this is by way of saying that the chances of being impacted by a train strike on any given day are very rare, and ESPECIALLY if you have checked that there is no scheduled strike.

Driving in Italy is always an adventure. For example, a typical 2 lane country road actually has 4 lanes. The left lane, right lane, and the the two lines down the center which are sometimes used by motorcycles :). But seriously, the Italian main highways (Autostrade) are excellent and pretty fast, although we now warn folks not to speed because of increased number of speed cameras on these major roads (they will bill you via your rental car company). Parking is also a little different so first-time drivers should read about parking rules and meters. And then there are the notorious "ZTLs" which are limited driving zones located in many cities (i.e. Florence, Rome, Pisa, etc). If you drive into one of these zones you will be photographed and fined (through your rental car company).

But driving from Venice to Florence is pretty easy and most of the route is along major highways. Renting or having a GPS (or activated Smartphone with sufficient data) does make navigating easy...although there are decent signs on most roads (especially the main highways). One important caveat is that most US issued credit cards do not give any Collision Damage Waiver insurance for cars rented in Italy (or Ireland). So pay attention to the so-called "excess" or deductible and consider getting zero deductible insurance. If it is not a reasonable option from your rental car company, it can also be purchased through some online travel sites (such as Orbitz) or privately online.

And finally, for those renting a car for 3 or more days, one should price out and consider using one of the major consolidators (discounters) such as Autoeurope or Kemwel....who contract with the majors (Hertz, Europcar, etc) with very favorable rates.

Hank