Disembarkation in Miami: "C'MON MAN !"

RedneckBob

I have to agree, it's not O, it's your fellow passengers.

+1 Some of the worst behavior I've ever witnessed while travelling has been on our cruises...we've sailed exclusively on Oceania:( I often wonder- where there is affluence there is an elevated sense of entitlement. This type of behavior has been my principal complaint on all our cruises.

+1 Some of the worst behavior I've ever witnessed while travelling has been on our cruises...we've sailed exclusively on Oceania:( I often wonder- where there is affluence there is an elevated sense of entitlement. This type of behavior has been my principal complaint on all our cruises.

Exactly how I see it too.

Yo Dawg - we are talking here about multiple Miami cruise disembarkations (3 so far) this month. Were the "four people you met" on all three Riviera cruises?

As Orv said, I also have no idea what you mean by "onboard CC organizing." A conspiracy hatched at sea? Yowza!

And how would the 'four people" strongly disagree with what has been posted on this very thread unless they actually read the comments?

If they have read our comments, I invite them to post their opinion here rather than an "interpretation" from one who self-admittedly did not experience the disembarkations.

<snip>

they disagreed with some of the onboard cruise critic organizing and ad hoc meeting efforts.

Well colour me confused - the only thing organized on board were the meet and greet and the cabin crawl. Everything was voluntary and only for those that were interested.

If there were ad hoc meeting efforts, I guess I missed the meeting :eek:

could you elaborate or perhaps they could post first hand?

I never have trouble there because we wait in the Terrace until almost everyone is off..then we run into no one..If everyone would do that there would be no chaos..

Jancruz1

No, Not quite. If everyone did that then everyone would still be getting off the ship at the same time just 1 hour later. Still would run into each other. Sorry, try again.

No, Not quite. If everyone did that then everyone would still be getting off the ship at the same time just 1 hour later. Still would run into each other. Sorry, try again.

Perhaps Jan is giving advice to the 5 to 10 % of cruisers on board that read CC? She is just giving an inside tip...give it a break!

Edited by buggins0402
Hate the ipad

Perhaps Jan is giving advice to the 5 to 10 % of cruisers on board that read CC? She is just giving an inside tip...give it a break!

Just reading what is being said. If that is incorrect than let her tell us. Said everyone and that is the way I took it. We need to have a special place for just cc people. I will not tell anyone else. :):):)

Just reading what is being said. If that is incorrect than let her tell us. Said everyone and that is the way I took it. We need to have a special place for just cc people. I will not tell anyone else. :):):)

"everyone" = CC audience to give a special tip???? Sorry, you might not have picked up tips on CC from time to time.

And very sorry that this nitpicking has caused me to go over the edge!!

OH MY GOODNESS

I thought the full moon was last week :eek:

We wait on the pool deck very few people hanging out there

Well colour me confused - the only thing organized on board were the meet and greet and the cabin crawl. Everything was voluntary and only for those that were interested.

If there were ad hoc meeting efforts, I guess I missed the meeting :eek:

could you elaborate or perhaps they could post first hand?

One couple said "cruise critic members" were walking through public areas like the pool trying to round up "all cruise critic members" to meet immediately to discuss on board problems. Multiple meetings were called.

The other couple heard a cruise critic group was demanding a meeting with the captain.

They were reading some of the Live threads and disagreed with the "dramatic tone", their words not mine. I have no idea if they are reading this thread about disembarkation.

These four people were on the transatlantic, traveling as separate couples.

Personally I don't get worked up over disembarkation procedures, even if large numbers are trying to exit at the same time.

One couple said "cruise critic members" were walking through public areas like the pool trying to round up "all cruise critic members" to meet immediately to discuss on board problems. Multiple meetings were called.

The other couple heard a cruise critic group was demanding a meeting with the captain.

They were reading some of the Live threads and disagreed with the "dramatic tone", their words not mine. I have no idea if they are reading this thread about disembarkation.

These four people were on the transatlantic, traveling as separate couples.

Personally I don't get worked up over disembarkation procedures, even if large numbers are trying to exit at the same time.

Personally, I heard or saw nothing like that. And I was by the pool a fair bit.

I was speaking to a number of CC members along with other passengers on the cruise and nothing like this was EVER mentioned.

I do believe someone is pulling your leg!

Or another group was doing something. It wasn't any CC members I was aware of. And I saw no such other activity by any other group either.

Nearly sounds like someone is trying to put the roll call in a bad light which is undeserving.

Edited by kazu

Since I started this mess, let me give you my final answer, I mean final take and observations on disembarkation in Miami.

This was my third disembarkation off the Riviera in Miami in 2 years. My observations are as follows:

1. Oceania states in there disembarkation documents that the process will start at 8:30 AM and the boat must be cleared by 9:15 AM. This is impossible and tells me Oceania does not care what discomfort the passengers will experience; jus get the he_l off my boat !

2. Color doesn't matter. Based on the color tags on bags that I have observed at the roundabout on Deck 6, it does not matter what color is called; people are not moving out of line if there color is not called and are going to disembark

3. Size does matter. By disembarking on Deck 6 through an opening no larger than your front door of your residence; a log jam will occur.

That's all I got to say about this

BALONEY! I was also by the pool and the deck above the pool almost every day at seas. I NEVER encountered anyone wandering about trying to "organize" meetings with those who read CC and the Captain or just trying to rope CC readers to a meeting. Never.

Our Trivia group had 8 folks- all CC readers - none mentioned an approach for any such meeting or being asked to attend "multiple meetings."

I can say almost everyone I chatted with on board voiced unhappiness about poor service and the indifferent attitude. By that I mean, I spoke to pax in the sauna & steam room, at Barristas, Trivia, in the gym, in the Terrace, in Horizons and Martinis and...the pool.

And, nope, I did seek to organize anything, let alone demand to meet Capt. Gunnar.

My opinion is this claim - intended to blemish & diminish what we actually experienced onboard - is pure malarkey!

1. Oceania states in there disembarkation documents that the process will start at 8:30 AM and the boat must be cleared by 9:15 AM. This is impossible and tells me Oceania does not care what discomfort the passengers will experience; jus get the he_l off my boat !

It is not always Oceania who is holding up disembarkation

Immigration does not always clear the ship ontime & if you ever hear them calling passengers names they are also holding up the release of the ship so people can disembark

2. Color doesn't matter. Based on the color tags on bags that I have observed at the roundabout on Deck 6, it does not matter what color is called; people are not moving out of line if there color is not called and are going to disembark

Again they are the passengers not following the instructions not the cruise line ...we had the same issue on HAL recently

That's all I got to say about this

We have disembarked in Miami several times on both size of ships ..it is always the same

Passengers hanging near the exit with bags getting in the way of those trying to get off when they are called

Then there are those passengers who do not report to Customs officials that hold up the process also

One cruise we sat in Martinis (Regatta) they were calling some names to report to the lounge

over & over they called one lady, finally one of her friends ratted her out

She was sitting there in Martinis ..she apparently had bought jewelry on the ship & was saying they had no business report it to Customs it was duty free anyway & she was not going to meet them

Finally after a few angry people confronted her she went ..the ship was cleared for disembarkation

This could have happened 45 min prior had this person just gone & reported in :eek:

It is not always cut & dried as you think

In a dream world this is very simple. Just stay away until your color is called. Not a lot different than trying to collect your baggage at the airport. 80% of us stand right up close to the carousel blocking the way for people that have bags that have actually come out. Common sense is replaced by the me me me attitude. Sad that people need to be restrained from going against the clear instructions they have already been given. My approach is to just relax. My wife and I are the ones sitting in our seats while most shove their way out of the airplane. We feel so fortunate to live in a free country and have the resources and health to go on luxury cruises.

In a dream world this is very simple. Just stay away until your color is called. Not a lot different than trying to collect your baggage at the airport. 80% of us stand right up close to the carousel blocking the way for people that have bags that have actually come out. Common sense is replaced by the me me me attitude. Sad that people need to be restrained from going against the clear instructions they have already been given. My approach is to just relax. My wife and I are the ones sitting in our seats while most shove their way out of the airplane. We feel so fortunate to live in a free country and have the resources and health to go on luxury cruises.

yes funny to watch the crowd stand right in the area where the bags come out then dive on their bag as another one falls on it ;)

DH will wait in a section of the carousel where no one is because the bag will go by eventually

We also sit in our seats & wait for masses to get off the plane ..unless we are at the front then we are allowed off in the first group anyway

We have disembarked in Miami several times on both size of ships ..it is always the same

Passengers hanging near the exit with bags getting in the way of those trying to get off when they are called

Then there are those passengers who do not report to Customs officials that hold up the process also

One cruise we sat in Martinis (Regatta) they were calling some names to report to the lounge

over & over they called one lady, finally one of her friends ratted her out

She was sitting there in Martinis ..she apparently had bought jewelry on the ship & was saying they had no business report it to Customs it was duty free anyway & she was not going to meet them

Finally after a few angry people confronted her she went ..the ship was cleared for disembarkation

This could have happened 45 min prior had this person just gone & reported in :eek:

I understand that Oceania has no control when the disembarkation starts or how long it will take but don't insult my intelligence telling me that every passenger on our cruise will be off the boat in 45 minutes.

This thread has gone a little off the topic of disembarkation - (and yes, I experienced a somewhat disorganized one (Riviera)on the 2nd of December)

The post about CC members calling emergency meetings is totally laughable!

Everything you described in your post is quite OBVIOUSLY and ENTIRELY Oceania's fault - every reasonable person can see that.

It has nothing to do with ignorant and selfish passengers who ignore prior written and repeatedly announced instructions on disembarkation; nor does it have anything to do with poor instructions of Miami port's terminal and its employees - it's OCEANIA's fault.

I have a solution for Oceania. Lock up the passengers in their rooms like in a prison cell and only unlocked their doors when their color is called - that might work :D

I carry my own, so I don t have to play the "easter egg hunt" for your bags. and I never plan on flying out the same day as I arrive,(Just Like arriving the day before) But yes....you can carry your own...

The biggest SNAFU is caused by customs... they wont let anyone off till all bags are off... ( example,inSF we were all tied up at 0600 but they would not let any one off till after0800 )

The sad part is that, of course, this had nothing to do with customs. It's IMMIGRATION for foreign nationals that has to take place on the ship - US citizens do not need to see immigration officials on the ship before disembarkation. Customs is later in the terminal.

Ignorance is bliss for some :D

I understand that Oceania has no control when the disembarkation starts or how long it will take but don't insult my intelligence telling me that every passenger on our cruise will be off the boat in 45 minutes.

:confused: I think the point Lyn was making in her story was someone held up disembarkation for 45 minutes, not that it would have been completed in that amount of time.:confused:

:confused: I think the point Lyn was making in her story was someone held up disembarkation for 45 minutes, not that it would have been completed in that amount of time.:confused:

I think Redneck was referring to his own disembarkation instructions since he posted that it would be from 8:30 to 9:15. I don't think it was a dig at Lyn's post but the fact that disembarkation cannot be done in the 45 minutes that he was told.

I think Redneck was referring to his own disembarkation instructions since he posted that it would be from 8:30 to 9:15. I don't think it was a dig at Lyn's post but the fact that disembarkation cannot be done in the 45 minutes that he was told.

Thanks for clarifying Jacqui...as you could tell by the use of two confused icons, I was totally lost. :)