Anyone gotten a refund on service charges?

travelerpair

:):)

If you are going to be rude to people at least use the correct words so you don't look even worse than you already do. "Tooth Fairy".

Thank you. If the person who meant tooth fairy had read the OP perhaps they would have understood. Not even knowing why I requested a refund. Gotta love some of these people

If the gem slides are not operational for my Jan 2 cruise I am requesting a$10 each refund or $30

Why. Because of the lack of service and promised amenities. Plus the pool crew had less work to do

$30 is chump change but I'm within my rights as I received less pool deck service than promised

And I think Ncl needs to see the point I am making

And please don't bother debating my comments because I'm tired of Ncl under fdr and want them to know it

Thank you for making the statement that counts. Lack of service and promised amenities. It is not the money it is taking advantage of passengers. Raise the prices if you need to pay your employees more, but don't try to make more from your passengers for nothing in return. I was told by another passenger that at one time you could remove any amount of the service charges with no problem on board. Seems that did not work well for NCL.

Whether any of us like it or not NCL changed the procedure for requesting a refund of the service charges, probably in response to the number of people requesting a refund onboard because of all the recent changes. In any event the new procedure involves picking up a form at Guest Services and sending it in. It is my understanding that one need not articulate a reason for the reduction/removal.

This is just a guess but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that NCL has probably been flooded with such requests because overall the new system is easier and one can request the reduction from the privacy of one's home instead of waiting on line to do it onboard. If that is so then I am also going to guess that NCL is coming up with a new procedure to cut down on the number of requests that they are getting. Again, just a guess.

This is just a guess but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that NCL has probably been flooded with such requests because overall the new system is easier and one can request the reduction from the privacy of one's home instead of waiting on line to do it onboard. If that is so then I am also going to guess that NCL is coming up with a new procedure to cut down on the number of requests that they are getting. Again, just a guess.

This, because there's no evidence the DSC makes it to the crew.

Here's a report from the HD two weeks ago. The new form has reduced workload on the ships significantly. It has also reduced the amount of reductions to DSC. The form still requires/requests a reason and the amount you want refunded based on the service issue you had. He explained it was evaluated at Corporate and money sent out as needed. Makes the ships book keeping easier.

If the OP picked up the form on the ship and filled it our correctly, I would expect after Corporate reviews it any refund will eventually be processed. Perhaps the process was not followed? Then I would not expect a refund.

Going on 90 days and I have tried everything starting with the email request and no refund. I have called the extension of my former personal cruise consultant and gotten nowhere, sent a fax to Guest Relations (a joke) tried calling and ran out of time waiting. We were suite passengers and used cash to tip every time we drank or ate. We tipped our butler and cabin steward in cash. We used cash to tip our concierge. Never went near the buffet or MDR, because we had the UDP. Butlers and concierge are not part of the pool of tips and they are the people who take care of suite passengers. Just like to know if anyone has been successful in receiving a refund.

Did you try to resolve your Service Charge issues while you were on the ship?

This, because there's no evidence the DSC makes it to the crew.

Based on? A room steward or server telling you this, so you will give them more cash? this is a ludicrous statement. If none of the money went to the crew the union that represents them in their contract negotiation in their country certainly would have an issue as I am sure they get a percentage of Salary.

Going on 90 days and I have tried everything starting with the email request and no refund. I have called the extension of my former personal cruise consultant and gotten nowhere, sent a fax to Guest Relations (a joke) tried calling and ran out of time waiting. We were suite passengers and used cash to tip every time we drank or ate. We tipped our butler and cabin steward in cash. We used cash to tip our concierge. Never went near the buffet or MDR, because we had the UDP. Butlers and concierge are not part of the pool of tips and they are the people who take care of suite passengers. Just like to know if anyone has been successful in receiving a refund.

Did your email request include the form gotten from front desk? That's required.

Whether any of us like it or not NCL changed the procedure for requesting a refund of the service charges, probably in response to the number of people requesting a refund onboard because of all the recent changes. In any event the new procedure involves picking up a form at Guest Services and sending it in. It is my understanding that one need not articulate a reason for the reduction/removal.

This is the most likely answer to non response from NCL. Our credit card company has been hearing complaints from many other card holders about this same issue. The form does ask for a reason and the only one the credit card company requires is that this is not a valid charge unless you requested it. A valid charge is one you cannot remove. If you cannot remove it then it should be added to the cruise fare.

Did your email request include the form gotten from front desk? That's required.

Yes, the form was given to us and the instructions followed. The email has been sent 8 times. I have gotten the fax # for guest relations and send 5 copies. There are people who do not have internet access (believe it) so a fax # is necessary.

I have not been on a cruise with NCL since this change, however, I know that my sister and her husband did exactly this after a recent cruise with NCL. They received the form from guest services on the ship and were able to fax it to NCL. I believe that they did talk to NCL corporate in Miami before faxing the form; I got the impression that there is more than one fax number. I have also heard that guest services in Miami can email the form to you if you do not receive it onboard the ship. They got a refund to their credit card in just a little less than 4 weeks from the date that they originally faxed the form to NCL, so 90 days seems excessive.

On a side note, I just have to say that I don't understand why some posters always have to be so rude and insulting in their posts here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we all have the right to disagree with each other, but I do not understand the common trend on these forums of people taking the stance that their opinion is singularly correct and anyone that disagrees with them must be wrong and stupid. It is certainly okay to share your view and opinion on this forum whatever that may be, but why can't we all do that in a respectful and articulate way?

Also, I do not understand why everyone is insulting the OP because they stayed in a suite and why they are making assumptions about their character and motivation is beyond me. :confused:

My personal opinion is that while I understand the DSC and the reasons for the change, I do prefer the old system of tipping staff separately in cash. I do not agree with the new policy of charging suite guests more than other passengers when their butler and concierge are tipped separately.

Everyone is welcome to disagree of course but let's not make assumptions about others or be rude, I really wish that CC's NCL boards were a friendlier, less hostile, place to post in general.

Edited by Kortehgehn

I have not been on a cruise with NCL since this change, however, I know that my sister and her husband did exactly this after a recent cruise with NCL. They received the form from guest services on the ship and were able to fax it to NCL. I believe that they did talk to NCL corporate in Miami before faxing the form; I got the impression that there is more than one fax number. I have also heard that guest services in Miami can email the form to you if you do not receive it onboard the ship. They got a refund to their credit card in just a little less than 4 weeks from the date that they originally faxed the form to NCL, so 90 days seems excessive.

On a side note, I just have to say that I don't understand why some posters always have to be so rude and insulting in their posts here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we all have the right to disagree with each other, but I do not understand the common trend on these forums of people taking the stance that their opinion is singularly correct and anyone that disagrees with them must be wrong and stupid. It is certainly okay to share your view and opinion on this forum whatever that may be, but why can't we all do that in a respectful and articulate way?

Also, I do not understand why everyone is insulting the OP because they stayed in a suite and why they are making assumptions about their character and motivation is beyond me. :confused:

My personal opinion is that while I understand the DSC and the reasons for the change, I do prefer the old system of tipping staff separately in cash. I do not agree with the new policy of charging suite guests more than other passengers when their butler and concierge are tipped separately.

Everyone is welcome to disagree of course but let's not make assumptions about others or be rude, I really wish that CC's NCL boards were a friendlier, less hostile, place to post in general.

I agree with you. I wish I would have adjusted it last cruise when I had the worst drunk room steward on the Breakaway.

Worst thing is I was with friends and it was her first time cruising she told me the 3rd day into the cruise, after she was stressed with him that she tipped him $50 on the first day.

If I would have adjusted the DSC maybe NCL would have given him additional training.

I had the same room and the same nasty room steward on the two night cruise Dec 11th.

I should send NCL a letter. I have had amazing room stewards in the past. He's a bad seed.

Edited by monkeybone

In your booking, you agreed to the terms of service that included those charges, and did not dispute them while on board (or maybe you did---that's not clear). If you didn't, and are trying to do so after the fact, you really should accept being out of luck and drop it.

You can't dispute / address them at guest services any longer while onboard. guest services has no power or authority to make any modifications (this pertains to bookings made in the united states, other countries may vary). They simply hand you the form, to use AFTER you get off the cruise.

The form states, in part, and I quote verbatim

"Please send your form within 30 days after the end of your cruise.

Please note that we cannot accept refund requests received outside of this period.

ALL SERVICE CHARGE ADJUSTMENTS WILL BE PROCESSED WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF RECEIPT (all capitalized, as on the form; not my own emphasis)"

I received back my pro-rated partial request in about 15 days. I received an automated receipt when I sent it in. The email address is ServiceCharges@ncl.com

The form is VERY straightforward and easy to use.

Perhaps the reason for requesting a refund was inadequate. If you said you tipped in cash instead and they gave you a refund, then everyone could get it every cruise. You need to point out some lack of service, or perhaps reimbursement for MV because when you booked MV was complimentary.

Not to argue with your statement, but if you don't need to provide a reason, like your quote states, why would it matter if OP said she already tipped in cash? Just curious

Yes, the form was given to us and the instructions followed. The email has been sent 8 times. I have gotten the fax # for guest relations and send 5 copies. There are people who do not have internet access (believe it) so a fax # is necessary.

Did they request multiple copies? This system has been working smoothly so something is definitely wrong. I'm wondering if the multiple submissions have routed your request into the "special handling" queue to ensure they don't duplicate the refunds. NCL is not known for being able to handle things that are outside their usual process very well.

Maybe someone can provide the link again to the social media relations folks, and you can point them to this thread. Or tweet Andy Stuart - I think it's @nclandy - and ask for his help.

Just wondering. This is the second poster who said they faxed their form in and has not received a refund. Is there a fax number on the form? I thought there was an email address on the first one that was posted here, but that might have changed.

And yes, there was a poster who received their refund in I think 15 days when the procedure first started.

There is no fax number on the form. There is no telephone number at all.

Agreed. Probably was a person who called after final payment and the cabin was lower and demanded a suite and now wants to take advantage of getting a refund on top of it. LOL.

Gotta love the systems workers.

Probably not. only in your world.

There is no fax number on the form. There is no telephone number at all.
That is what I thought, but didn't know if they changed the form, since two posters said they faxed it in and didn't get their refund. I think we all know how faxes can get lost, where an email is less likely to get thrown away by mistake!;)

Thank you for your post. I will try to get another fax # for guest relations tomorrow and give it a try. Some of the responses were so far off topic that they were a waste of space. As of right now we are still waiting for any response from NCL. All things being equal a service charge would be fine and for the suites it should be higher. If you use the MDR and the buffet I could understand. However, I do not feel I am responsible for paying salaries of staff. Charge more up front and then I will make a choice of which cruise line to choose.

Did you try to resolve your Service Charge issues while you were on the ship?

They are no longer handled on board. Guest Services won't even discuss, they just hand you the form and move on to the next guest. There's nothing to resolve.

There is no such thing as a crew union (except possibly for Pride of America). There are agencies that work on behalf of the lines handling recruitment, remittance, etc, but they generally don't do much for the crew members other than take their cut (a US example would be more along the lines of Kelley, Manpower, etc)

That said, there have been statements in corporate filings indicating that at least part of it goes to the crew directly and some goes into a crew welfare fund (whatever that may be) so legally that pretty much has to happen.

There's also some potential issues with taxation if they were to simply absorb it as general revenue.

Based on? A room steward or server telling you this, so you will give them more cash? this is a ludicrous statement. If none of the money went to the crew the union that represents them in their contract negotiation in their country certainly would have an issue as I am sure they get a percentage of Salary.

Thank you for your post. I will try to get another fax # for guest relations tomorrow and give it a try. Some of the responses were so far off topic that they were a waste of space. As of right now we are still waiting for any response from NCL. All things being equal a service charge would be fine and for the suites it should be higher. If you use the MDR and the buffet I could understand. However, I do not feel I am responsible for paying salaries of staff. Charge more up front and then I will make a choice of which cruise line to choose.
Instead of faxing it again, I would take the form to a place that can scan it and either email it to you, so you can email it in, or email it to the email address on the form.