Pre-Cruise plans - doable?

go4ak

I am flying into Anchorage arriving at 4pm on a Thursday.

Friday - take bus to Seward for the 6 hr Kenai tour then back to Anchorage via bus.

Saturday - take bus to Whittier for the Phillips 26 Glacier tour.

Board the ship for an 8:30 pm sailing.

Does this make sense? I know I'm spending a lot of time on a bus - but I don't think renting a car makes sense, cost wise.

Would it be better to go to Seward - do the tour - spend the night then travel (somehow???) from Seward to Whittier the next day?

I'd love to see the Wildlife center - but I can't do that and see Kenai. I think Kenai will win.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Are you traveling alone? Last summer there was a bus (Seward Bus Line) that had service from Seward to Whittier. You might want to check that out and see if they are operating again next summer. That would be the least expensive way to do it and would give you more time in Seward. I think it would be less expensive doing that than going back to Anchorage then to Whittier. You should be able to find pretty reasonable lodging in Seward.

Friday - take bus to Seward for the 6 hr Kenai tour then back to Anchorage via bus.

Does this make sense? I know I'm spending a lot of time on a bus - but I don't think renting a car makes sense, cost wise.

Would it be better to go to Seward - do the tour - spend the night then travel (somehow???) from Seward to Whittier the next day?

I'd love to see the Wildlife center - but I can't do that and see Kenai. I think Kenai will win.

You are already, VERY short on time, and have interests in Alaska touring. So, I think it's a skewed choice to dismiss a car rental due to "costs". It significantly, makes the BEST use of YOUR valuable time in Alaska. Instead of going back and forth for hours on a bus, you could easily add the Sealife Center, and the Alaska Wildlife Conservatory. Isn't that "worth" something? :) :) (never mind the ability to stop when and where you want? See the dall sheep on the mountain? side trip to Portage Glacier visitor center??? Maybe a add of Exit glacier? )

Frugal - I am traveling alone. I checked the Seward Bus line and it looks like they only go back and forth between Anchorage and Seward and Anchorage and Whittier.

AK - I check them out - but they have a two passenger minimum.

Budget Queen - I totally agree with you but yesterday when I check the Avis car rental - it was close to 400.00 one way to Whittier. Today Hertz is 86 to Seward and then Avis is 110 to Whittier. So, the cost really isn't an issue now. Obviously I did something wrong.

Now new thoughts.

I know you don't know me or my likes and dislikes. But given your history with Alaska can you give a comparison between the Kenai 6 hour tour and the 26 PWS glacier tour? I did do the Glacier Express out of Whittier a couple of years ago. So, I guess if I had to give up one - it would be the 26 Glacier tour.

I could take the bus and boat tour in Seward on Thursday - then rent a car on Friday and drive to Whittier. I can't pick up the car before 9 so I would just have to pay attention to the tunnel times.

What do you think? (Thanks)

Frugal - I am traveling alone. I checked the Seward Bus line and it looks like they only go back and forth between Anchorage and Seward and Anchorage and Whittier.

Interesting. When I just checked it showed Seward to Whittier departing at 9.30am for $39.95/person in the summer. Re-read their website and/or call them.

Budget Queen - I totally agree with you but yesterday when I check the Avis car rental - it was close to 400.00 one way to Whittier. Today Hertz is 86 to Seward and then Avis is 110 to Whittier. So, the cost really isn't an issue now. Obviously I did something wrong.

Prices can change a lot at any time. If you are going one way from Anchorage to Whittier with the couple of days in Seward, you need Avis. If you are just renting one-way to Seward then taking the bus to Whittier, you need Hertz.

I know you don't know me or my likes and dislikes. But given your history with Alaska can you give a comparison between the Kenai 6 hour tour and the 26 PWS glacier tour? I did do the Glacier Express out of Whittier a couple of years ago. So, I guess if I had to give up one - it would be the 26 Glacier tour.

I could take the bus and boat tour in Seward on Thursday - then rent a car on Friday and drive to Whittier. I can't pick up the car before 9 so I would just have to pay attention to the tunnel times.

What do you think? (Thanks)

Both the Kenai Fjords and PWS tours are great. But if you are on Princess southbound you already get two glacier days. So if you have to choose one over the other, I would choose Kenai Fjords. That emphasizes marine wildlife but also spends 20-30 minutes at a glacier as well. If you can do both, great. If not, it is your choice but I think the KF tour would give you the most variety.

Note you can not rent a car in Seward and drop in Whittier. The only rental company in Seward is Hertz and the only rental company in Whittier is Avis.

For a single person, I would also not spend $400 for a one-way car rental. Sure costs are important, but there are so many ways to use your time wisely without renting a car. The train and/or bus to Seward then the bus from Seward to Whittier seems ideal to me if you want to avoid the car rental. Every decision and itinerary results in some give and take. Some pluses and minuses. I often travel solo myself and find ways to also cut my costs (food, lodging) so I have more money for tours and excursions.

It really doesn't make sense. Why not stay in Seward overnight instead of going back to Anchorage, and then go to Whittier?

It really doesn't make sense. Why not stay in Seward overnight instead of going back to Anchorage, and then go to Whittier?

Because the poster doesn't think there is an economical way to get from Seward to Whittier. I mentioned (a second time) the Seward Bus Line option. There are some people who would prefer to spend a little extra time vs. a lot of extra money (though this is probably not going to be one of those times).

Edited by frugaltravel

Your plan makes absolutely no sense at all and you will be spending more time sitting on a bus than seeing things. Rent a car in Anchorage for drop off in Whittier. Drive to Seward and then to Whittier. First of all, the drive from Anchorage is one of the most glorious drives in America. Second, you can do both the Kenai tour and also the Wildlife Center and the Portage Glacier.

Is it pricey - yes. But when you say that the cost for the car rental is $400, that is not really accurate. I do not know how much your 3 bus trips (Anchorage to Seward, Seward back to Anchorage and Anchorage to Whittier) are going to cost but lets assume $100. That means that the real cost of the car rental is only $300. How many excursions are you going to take on your cruise. Think of this as yet another excursion.

Bottom line is that if you can not afford or justify the true cost of the car rental, you can not afford the cruise.

DON

Seward to Whittier in am

http://www.sewardbuslines.net/summer.html

I understand your dilemma as a solo traveller.

The drive from Anchorage to Seward is beautiful with loads of places to stop and explore. For us it was as much a part of the Alaska experience as visiting glaciers etc.

While the $400 car rental cost is high for one person it gives you so much more flexibility and provides opportunities to explore more of the area. Check out http://www.alaska.org/guide/seward-highway

Another option is to rent a car RT from ANC and then take a transfer to Whittier. The ship does not depart until 8 pm. Maybe check out the times of Princess transfers.

If you REALLY want to visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, pick up a rental car at the airport immediately upon arrival and drive to the AWCC. It's only about 45 miles away and open until 8pm so you would have about 2 hrs to spend there. Probably $75 for a rental car.

Sunset isn't until 10pm so you will have daylight to enjoy some stops for scenery on the return trip.

your 3 day itinerary would look like this:

THU - land 4pm Pick up rental car, drive to AKCC. Overnight downtown Anc

FRI - 7am - 9:45am, Park Connection Bus to Seward, $55. Kenai cruise. Overnight Seward. Dinner, then wander around the harbor for an hour or so.

SAT - 9:30am - 11:50am, Seward Buslines to Whittier,$40, PWS cruise

Since you did the Philips 26 glacier cruise, why not try the Major Marine itinerary this time?

Edited by mapleleaves

If you REALLY want to visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, pick up a rental car at the airport immediately upon arrival and drive to the AWCC. It's only about 45 miles away and open until 8pm so you would have about 2 hrs to spend there. Probably $75 for a rental car.

Sunset isn't until 10pm so you will have daylight to enjoy some stops for scenery on the return trip.

your 3 day itinerary would look like this:

THU - land 4pm Pick up rental car, drive to AKCC. Overnight downtown Anc

FRI - 7am - 9:45am, Park Connection Bus to Seward, $55. Kenai cruise. Overnight Seward. Dinner, then wander around the harbor for an hour or so.

SAT - 9:30am - 11:50am, Seward Buslines to Whittier,$40, PWS cruise

Since you did the Philips 26 glacier cruise, why not try the Major Marine itinerary this time?

Hi Mapleleaves. Hope that you had a good Christmas and will have a good new year.

Here is the problem with your plan as I see it although it obviously will work. The total cost of the car rental plus 2 bus trips will be $170. If you rent a car in Anchorage and drop it off in Whittier, the cost will be $400. This makes a difference of only $230. Unless you are impossibly frugal, the freedom to stop where you want to and the fact that you are not tied to transportation schedules is worth $270. Just my opinion.

DON

Apparently I "couldn't read the bus schedule from Seward to Whittier. Now I can.

Friday - The plan is to take the Major Marine bus to Seward - take the Kenai cruise - stay at the Harbor 360 Hotel (package deal 298.00.

Saturday - take the Seward bus line to Whittier - then take the 26 Glacier - because it starts at 12:30 / Major starts at 12:15.

I can certainly afford the cruise - but since I'm traveling alone I'm already paying a higher rate than most. I want to make the most of the money and of course the time I have available. I will forgo the wildlife center for the Kenai cruise and seeing Seward.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

I think your itinerary is great! I don't understand people who say things like "it only costs $XX more" and "if you can't afford XXX you can't afford the trip." Well, maybe that is true for them, but like you, I often travel single. If I can reduce my transportation costs and still have a great trip, why not? Then I either have more cash in my pocket for excursions or to put toward a different trip :)

Enjoy your trip. I know it will be a great time.

Saturday - take the Seward bus line to Whittier - then take the 26 Glacier - because it starts at 12:30 / Major starts at 12:15.

You can take either of these tours. There are differences with each of the 3 "usual" tours offered. Phillips- is on the move and offers a lot of different glaciers, Major Marine- Blackstone bay, sees fewer, but pauses for longer times for activities, their Surprise Glacier is very scenic with Ester Passage, and almost always transits a heavy sea otter area, with a lot of rafts (far more viewable than single animals who are skiddish and dive)

You can take either of these tours. There are differences with each of the 3 "usual" tours offered. Phillips- is on the move and offers a lot of different glaciers, Major Marine- Blackstone bay, sees fewer, but pauses for longer times for activities, their Surprise Glacier is very scenic with Ester Passage, and almost always transits a heavy sea otter area, with a lot of rafts (far more viewable than single animals who are skiddish and dive)

The bus from Seward is supposed to arrive at 11:50. Do you know where I would be able to store my luggage to do the early cruise. I think I'd enjoy the Surprise Glacier but that's a pretty tight time frame.

Thank you for the added information.

The bus from Seward is supposed to arrive at 11:50. Do you know where I would be able to store my luggage to do the early cruise. I think I'd enjoy the Surprise Glacier but that's a pretty tight time frame.

If you can't check the luggage in with the cruise line yet (sometimes it works, sometimes not), you can leave it with the tour company. I like the Surprise Glacier tour best myself, but generally I go with the one that offers the best discount since I like just being out on the water!

The tunnel opens at 11:30a. Your shuttle drop off should be right at the ship, have your luggage tags printed and attached in advance. Just drop them off. Major Marine's office is past the cruise ship, just on the other side of the bridge, same side. BUT they also have a kiosk that you may be able to pick up your tickets at? Verify this directly by calling them.

The tunnel opens at 11:30a. Your shuttle drop off should be right at the ship, have your luggage tags printed and attached in advance. Just drop them off. Major Marine's office is past the cruise ship, just on the other side of the bridge, same side. BUT they also have a kiosk that you may be able to pick up your tickets at? Verify this directly by calling them.

Oh, I didn't realize that the trip from Seward to Whittier went through the tunnel. Thanks. I will check with them about the storage. I know it's really close right there.

Thank you.