? re: Buying French Wines in St. Martin

Morgsmom

Looking for some advice as to best place to buy French wines in Marigot to bring back on the ship (Princess) with us.

Also, is the Euro the "official" currency on the French side? I know that they will accept USD but we have some Euros leftover from recent trip.

Can't correctly opine on Euro, but would assume yes.

There's a wine shop on Rue Low Town near the marina called Vinissimo, that had a lot of wines from all over. if you head to Grand Case, though, the Grapewine Shop is a wonderful stop not just for wine but for all sorts of delights like foie gras. Owner is extremely knowledgeable on wines and will let you taste before purchasing.

Can't correctly opine on Euro, but would assume yes.

There's a wine shop on Rue Low Town near the marina called Vinissimo, that had a lot of wines from all over. if you head to Grand Case, though, the Grapewine Shop is a wonderful stop not just for wine but for all sorts of delights like foie gras. Owner is extremely knowledgeable on wines and will let you taste before purchasing.

Thank you! Unfortunately we are limited in our ability to 'get around' as we will be passing through Marigot on a stop on Bernard's tour. So while we do have some time there we don't have our own transportation.

I believe you have to check wine and spirits in when returning to the ship and they return it to you on the morning of debarkation in most cases. From your post it looked like you wanted to purchase and consume on board. If that's not what you meant then disregard my post. :)

Euros are the currency on the French side but the US dollar is strong right now so you may want to save your euros and use US $.

Edited by Karysa

Looking for some advice as to best place to buy French wines in Marigot to bring back on the ship (Princess) with us.

Also, is the Euro the "official" currency on the French side? I know that they will accept USD but we have some Euros leftover from recent trip.

Booze It Up - On Dutch side (Duty Free) no need to visit the French side and pay French Taxes

All prices in US Dollars

http://www.boozeitup-sxm.com

Click on "Wine Store"

Edited by PORT ROYAL

We would also suggest that wines (even from France) are less costly on the Dutch side (especially in Phillpsburg where there is some competition). When we stay in Grand Case we usually buy our wine in a local Supermarket, but that is not convenient for a cruiser unless they have a car. And yes, the Euro is the official currency on the French side, but that may or may not be helpful. Some places actually give you a discount for using US Dollars while others (such as the bar/cafe at Le Galion Beach) encourage the use of Euros by giving an awful exchange rate for the dollar.

Hank

We would also suggest that wines (even from France) are less costly on the Dutch side (especially in Phillpsburg where there is some competition). When we stay in Grand Case we usually buy our wine in a local Supermarket, but that is not convenient for a cruiser unless they have a car. And yes, the Euro is the official currency on the French side, but that may or may not be helpful. Some places actually give you a discount for using US Dollars while others (such as the bar/cafe at Le Galion Beach) encourage the use of Euros by giving an awful exchange rate for the dollar.

Hank

Encourage the use of euros is a kind word. Sounds more likely gouging the American tourists to me. Not nice!

Bonjour

I was in Saint Martin for 2 weeks last winter. The choice of wine is definitly better on the french side. The price are like in France! You fine it in any big grocery store and can pay in Euro or in us dollar! You can even find excellent Champagne there.... I use to go in a Marigot grocery... Just ask a taxi driver!

Bon voyage!

• 1 month later...

We will be arriving on Saturday and getting a Taxi directly to the Port to board our cruise. Can anyone suggest a convenient place to ask the Taxi to stop so we can purchase wine to carry onboard? (we are allowed 2 bottles each).

Thank you!

LeslieW

Lesliew

We just returned from our Wind Surf cruise leaving from St Martin. Each person is only allowed 1 bottle of wine to bring on board, not 2. I assume if you brought more they were hold it until the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting... when I read this I assumed it was per guest:

Guests may bring aboard 2 bottles of wine or champagne for their enjoyment onboard. All additional alcohol, including those bottles purchased at ports of call along the cruise route, will be kept by the ship’s purser and delivered to your room the last evening of the voyage. Guests may consume the outside beverages in the dining room, but a small corkage fee will be applied to the guest's onboard account.

The Euro is the official currency of the French side, and the Netherlands Antilles Guilder is official on the Dutch side. The US Dollar is almost universally accepted anywhere on the island; it's the common currency used by locals in cross-border transactions.

Some French establishments give a discounted rate for US dollars, some don't. I wouldn't really care about the various exchange rates for a day in French St.-Martin. I'd pay in dollars; I'd check what the price is in dollars, and decide if I like the price. The Euros would be irrelevant.

We will be arriving on Saturday and getting a Taxi directly to the Port to board our cruise. Can anyone suggest a convenient place to ask the Taxi to stop so we can purchase wine to carry onboard? (we are allowed 2 bottles each).

Thank you!

LeslieW

The most convenient stop would be le Grande Marche Supermarket, which is directly on the route. They have a huge selection of all sorts/prices of wine Or Booze-it-up, also directly on the route.

If you want a more upscale selection, especially of French wines, I would suggest le Select, which is just a bit off the direct route (still Dutch side). There is a discount coupon on their website.

gary

Edited by gtaylor
Added photo

Lesliew

We just returned from our Wind Surf cruise leaving from St Martin. Each person is only allowed 1 bottle of wine to bring on board, not 2. I assume if you brought more they were hold it until the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow....really only one? I was just looking at their web site today and it still says two. That could leave people very disappointed. OHHHH....I just reread. That would still be two per cabin, so yes, that is what it said. Ignore me. hehehehe