Precruise FtLauderdale debate

mrsgthatsme

When we originally booked our cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, our flight was scheduled to arrive around 6PM. After doing a lot of research and reading on trip advisor and this board, I booked a refundable room at The Gallery One and one at The Hampton Inn on SW 12th Ave. so that we could take our time deciding. Today we found out that our flight has been changed and we will arrive in FLL at noon. I figured that we might now prefer the GalleryOne since its closer to the water taxi, shopping, etc, but upon reading some recent very, very bad reviews on trip advisor, I am not so sure. If you had to decide between GalleryOne for $200/night (but we would have to add in cost for a cab to the hotel), Hampton for $239/night (with free airport shuttle and breakfast), the new Comfort Suites airport South on SW 19th, or the Comfort Inn Airport and Cruise port ($209/nt with breakfast) which would you choose? We mainly care about a nice, clean, safe hotel in a decent area with a restaurant for dinner within walking distance. Night life matters little to us! :) Thanks!

When we originally booked our cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, our flight was scheduled to arrive around 6PM. After doing a lot of research and reading on trip advisor and this board, I booked a refundable room at The Gallery One and one at The Hampton Inn on SW 12th Ave. so that we could take our time deciding. Today we found out that our flight has been changed and we will arrive in FLL at noon. I figured that we might now prefer the GalleryOne since its closer to the water taxi, shopping, etc, but upon reading some recent very, very bad reviews on trip advisor, I am not so sure. If you had to decide between GalleryOne for $200/night (but we would have to add in cost for a cab to the hotel), Hampton for $239/night (with free airport shuttle and breakfast), the new Comfort Suites airport South on SW 19th, or the Comfort Inn Airport and Cruise port ($209/nt with breakfast) which would you choose? We mainly care about a nice, clean, safe hotel in a decent area with a restaurant for dinner within walking distance. Night life matters little to us! :) Thanks!

By a wide margin the Gallery One.

I agree, Gallery One. You have a whole day now, what are you really going to do at a hotel at a highway interchange? The Gallery One has the mall right beside it and the beach a short walk away. More interesting area to wander around and kill an afternoon/evening. However, I can't picture where the Comfort Inn is you mention.

We just switched to Comfort Suites so am interested in replies. It's walking distance to Harbor Shops that people talk about.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

The Comfort Suites you are talking about (which isn't a Comfort Suites anymore) isn't the one the OP was talking about. You are fine there.

Gallery One is in the nicest neighborhood by far. I just read Trip Advisor and it sounds like the hotel had an "off" week, but read back for the last 2 months and you'll find mostly good. Honestly, the service this week and last has been really bad in all businesses as they are short staffed for the holidays. If the reviews are still bad in February that will be another story.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I think we have it narrowed down to the GalleryOne or 12th St Hampton Inn. I love the idea of the great area around the GalleryOne, but the free breakfast and transportation from the airport at the Hampton would save us some money, and it has been getting really favorable reviews on tripadvisor. Thanks again for the great comments!

I am in the GalleryOne camp also. I have it booked for 4 nights in April. You mentioned bad reviews on tripadvisor but there are also many, many good reviews.

If you dont need to be on the beach, and you have a day or two to explore you cant beat GalleryOne for location, especially if you are not using a car.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I think we have it narrowed down to the GalleryOne or 12th St Hampton Inn. I love the idea of the great area around the GalleryOne, but the free breakfast and transportation from the airport at the Hampton would save us some money, and it has been getting really favorable reviews on tripadvisor. Thanks again for the great comments!

Why? The Gallery One is in a far superior location and a far superior hotel.

Most people who book for free transportation realize it is a PIA and end up taking a cab anyway.

You can't walk anywhere at night from that Hampton Inn. Very sketchy at night.

There is a Starbucks across the street from Gallery One where you can get a pastry for breakfast.

Yes, you will save money at Hampton Inn on transportation.

We've stayed at the Hampton Inn on 12th, and also the Best western beside it several times. We like both of these hotels. Both were very clean, good beds, excellent value which includes breakfast and shuttle. We like that we can do ALL of our pre-cruise shopping just across the street - Winn Dixie, liquor store, various other stores as well as several restaurants within 5 min. walk from fast food to roadhouse to a German restaurant people speak highly of.

True, the mall area isn't as lovely as some other areas, but I am not there to boutique shop, I am there for essentials, then back to my hotel to relax.

Edited by sprockie