Elevator death on the Ecstasy

ComradeRyan

That is what you are suppose to do, wait and let the experts take control of the problem. I have had the experience of being stuck in an elevator for over 90 minutes 11 floors above ground. It was an elevator in a downtown Houston Skyscraper. The phone did not work and this was before cell phones. After 20 minutes of yelling for help, a maintenance guy finally yelled back how many people were with me (2). He said do NOT try to open the doors and do not move around too much until they can assess the issue. About an hour later, they secured the car and open the door above us and pulled each of us out. The two other passengers got a little claustrophobic, but we kept pretty calm by talking about our different lives and jobs.

After the whole ordeal was over, I asked the maintenance guy what was the problem? Internal computer issue and a broken emergency phone. He said that if we had try to open the doors, it could trig the car to go down at a rapid speed and then the emergency brake would be triggered for a rough stop. I did go back to work for the rest of the day.

Wow that's pretty crazy.I've worked on elevators for 30 yrs and responded to hundreds of entrapments and never had to pull anyone out of the top of the elevator.Thats kinda a last resort thing. I guess I've been lucky I haven't had to do that. That presents new problems. Now you have people on top of the elevator and as you probably saw theres a lot of stuff there you could trip on and get hurt. The maintenance guy was right, do not try to open the doors. Call the elevator company or fire dept and wait.Your actually pretty safe inside an elevator.

I just find it extremely disturbing that his response was to whip out his camera and not SCREAMING for help, going for help!! I don't know, but I could tell you, I would be screaming for help.

If I'm not interpreting this video right, sorry. But his response is morbid!!

My condolences to the family of the tragically killed man!

Edited by sweetsixteencruisers

If you listen to the video, you can hear a crew member asking them to leave the area and he ignores her. Then he tells the media how traumatizing it was for him and his family. What about the victim and his family?

And Let me Ask this.... How many ppl complaining watched his video....

Heart attacks, strokes, jet ski accidents, traffic accidents, drownings, suicides etc. all occur during both land and sea vacations. I've watched passengers try to film a helicoptor landing on a ship for a medical emergency evack,, almost causing the pilot to crash. The Captain was furious about that.

As a pilot myself, I find the idea that someone filming me would EVER make me "almost crash," comical. If the pilot is that distracted by people with cameras at a distance, then he shouldn't be flying. In fact, during examinations, the FAA encourages examiners (DPEs and FSDOs) to build in distractions to make sure the pilot is able to maintain full focus during odd/distracting scenarios.

...my view on the video is that the guy was not causing any issues by filming, and now there's great evidence for a wrongful death suit or other legal proceedings for the family. And of course when he was interviewed he said it was traumatizing, who wouldn't be traumatized by that? And unless you know the guy is seeking compensation (which would be reprehensible), then why speculate like buffoons? This is like when someone on the inaugural QR A350 flight was filming and they had a rejected takeoff and the FA told him to stop filming...Don't try to sanitize the situation, and the only reason that crew member told him to leave was to preserve the company's reputation, despite having a ship in disrepair that likely caused the man's death. Also, there's no evidence this guy got paid to distribute and it's on many major outlets, so if he was paid they would have wanted an exclusive not let everyone and their mother run the story after shelling out a few grand.

Still waiting for confirmation that this is really what people claim that it is, I'm not convinced. I don't think the video shows blood at all, but what it shows is hydraulic fluid. Blood doesn't flow like is shown in the video nor does a person bleed that much, even if a limb is cut off.

Granted I know nothing about elevators, but wouldn't the hydraulic fluid be underneath and not above? But I agree in questioning this, that was a lot of liquid.

Whatever it turns out to be, I just hope it was a quick death since the media calling it gruesome may give a different impression.

Heart attacks, strokes, jet ski accidents, traffic accidents, drownings, suicides etc. all occur during both land and sea vacations. I've watched passengers try to film a helicoptor landing on a ship for a medical emergency evack,, almost causing the pilot to crash. The Captain was furious about that.

That's such nonsense as well as untrue I have no words, LOL

I saw the link to the video while scrolling through my news feed yesterday afternoon, and, thinking the image was from my favorite horror film ("The Shining"), clicked on it. It was with horror that I learned this image was taken on a Carnival Cruise ship, and was especially shocked to see it was the Carnival Ecstasy, as my fiancé and I are setting sail on this ship on 1/25/16. With all of the comments regarding the safety of the elevators on the ship, it is likely that I will be solely relying on the stairs for this trip.

What a terrible accident. My heart aches for Mr. Jose Sandobal Opazo's family and friends. It will be saddening to see this elevator and know what terrible event took place there. Had I been in the videographer's shoes, I would have certainly treated this accident differently and with more dignity and respect.

That's such nonsense as well as untrue I have no words, LOL

It was the NCL Epic and the Captain was livid as he castigated the many folk who attempted to film or photograph that helicoptor night landing. He mentioned it several times in his special announcement about the evak and also prefaced his general comments with a no nonsense condemnation of those whose actions could have caused a crash. It is difficult enough to land a helicoptor on a moving ship without the pilot being blinded by flashes and lasers.

I witnessed the helicoptor landing and saw lots of flashes going off from the crowd. Everyone on that sailing heard the Captains angry announcements afterwards.

If you have no words and do not know, don't comment.

Edited by evandbob

It was the NCL Epic and the Captain was livid as he castigated the many folk who attempted to film or photograph that helicoptor night landing. He mentioned it several times in his special announcement about the evak and also prefaced his general comments with a no nonsense condemnation of those whose actions could have caused a crash. It is difficult enough to land a helicoptor on a moving ship without the pilot being blinded by flashes and lasers.

I witnessed the helicoptor landing and saw lots of flashes going off from the crowd. Everyone on that sailing heard the Captains angry announcements afterwards.

I never heard anything about it being a night landing and flashes going off. I agree that could be a problem. Why is a helicopter landing on a ship in the first place instead of dropping basket as is usually done Edited by SeaUs

I remember when this happened and smh at posters mouthing off that the flashes wouldn't bother someone flying a helicopter at night.... I have trouble seeing if I'm driving at night and and front seat passenger is holding a lighted cell phone screen!

This post is on page 10, have not read of "how could the videographer assist anyone." ???? If he was a news photographer, his instinct would be to film. Right or wrong, Can we be too quick to judge?

This post is on page 10, have not read of "how could the videographer assist anyone." ???? If he was a news photographer, his instinct would be to film. Right or wrong, Can we be too quick to judge?

There is so much false pride in this thread. "He is so bad, but I am better than him." In a world where "we all" walk with our nose buried in the Iphone screen, and with instant photo tools at our finger tips, it is hard to be "shocked and dismayed" to the extent we have seen in this thread.

I came here to see if there was any more information on the accident, but after reading some of these responses, particularly those to the father of the teenage children who witnessed the aftermath of this horrific accident, all I can say is that if these ships had to sail on the ocean of compassion in this thread you would all be permanently stuck in port.

Sympathies to the family of the deceased.

This. Exactly this. Thank you.

Shame on the ill person who thought video taping was more important then walking over to the phone which most have by the elevators and dial 911...

Shame on him/her for thinking that he thought he should be compensated for something so horrible that that he continued to video taping after the worker supposedly told him not too.

Wonder if he sold his "money making" tapes to the media...for a profit.

The only ones I feel sorry for is the person who got killed during this accident, his family and of course his cruise family

May they find the prayers from everyone and the guidance from their lord they get through this.

One of the latest news stories advertises that the guests were witnesses to a grisly death. Unbelievable.

I saw one that popped up on my tablet a while ago. If they witnessed the death I am sure the authorities will want to talk to them further. No one knows how it happened but however it happened, someone made a deadly mistake with that elevator. I think if the guy taped the death, he'd be in the psychiatric ward of a hospital recovering from "real" trauma. Not much to go on with blood on the door. They'll be asking who was present when the elevator was being worked on.

I can't believe the news station in FL would even remotely thinking of airing that.

It was also aired on our local evening news. :mad:

Unfortunately there was no warning about graphic footage, so no opportunity to change channels before the video started.

Edited by Boatdrill

I guess, perhaps because of my profession, I feel differently than many on this issue. My thoughts are:

1) the people are wrong to film;

2) the media is wrong to show it, indulge it, and try to make money off such a tragedy - the purpose of media is the educate and inform on the issues - a mission they have long forgotten, rather than attempt to make a buck by sensationalizing a tragedy;

3) the family of the deceased deserves any assistance Carnival can provide, and I am confident that they will. The reason I say this is even for a burial at sea, for guests, they charge nothing. The provide a time and place, staff to accompany you, and without request, a letter memorializing the event with a large photo of the ship in an album. If they are so generous when essentially doing a guest a favor, I am confident they will take care of their own.

4) no one else deserves anything. Crime, violence, accidents, death, and destruction happen everyday all around us. For the most part, we live in a bubble so we seemed shocked when we witness or are victimized by it, but it can happen at anytime. It is simply a fact of life. What if, as another poster said, you were witness to an equally horrific car crash? Who is going to compensate you for the horror? We have turned into a society where we are so "me first" and "what can I get out of this" that we have lost all perspective.

Personally, I watched the video. And believe me, I see, hear and smell much worse in my job as I have been a prosecutor working first hand with cops for almost 20 years. Most people have no idea what humanity can really do to each other. The news might report a robbery in a nearby city each night - I promise you there were 5 more that went unreported by the news, here in my area alone.

So what should be do? We pray for those who have died and those who grieve, discuss any fears with our kids and families, and move on and live our lives as a source of light against such darkness.

Agree with every word you've said and most particularly your last paragraph.