Passport Question

mystic51

Time to renew my passport. Is it true that I can renew and just get the card only without getting the book? Quite a difference in cost and will not be doing any international travel, only Caribbean, Mexico... Thank for your help!

Yes you may and if it fits your individual travel needs than all the rest doesn't matter. (And if something does happen in a port you are already in the State Department database making it much easier for them to issue an emergency travel document or passport.)

Can you fly back from a port to the USA on the card? If you have an emergency and have to leave the ship.

No, the card may not be used for international air travel. As long as the traveler is willing to accept the risk of a delay the card is a viable option (and as I mentioned it will be easier for the Consulate to provide help since they're in the system).

the card is meant for people who live/work near the border and cross the border by car/foot often or for people in states where their licenses do not meet federal regulations for id.

the card is meant as a supplment tot a passport, not a replacement for a passport.

i would not just get a card, because then you would have to eventually get a passport and pay the fee again.

you can get the combo pack of passport and card, but i wouldn't just get a card.

In my opinion, get the passport. Yes, you pay more, but bad things happen and having the passport is important if you have to fly in an emergency.

And it is good for 10 years, so calculating the annual cost makes it quite cheap, can get out of the Western Hemisphere on a moment's notice.:cool:

And it is good for 10 years, so calculating the annual cost makes it quite cheap, can get out of the Western Hemisphere on a moment's notice.:cool:

They (government) says it is good for 10 years but it is actually not.

Currently if you travel to certain countries and your passport is close to expiring, You must have a valid passport for at least 6 months.

So if your passport expires in May, and you are traveling to one of these countries in July, you better renew by February.

Confusing at it may seem, sometimes the pass port is only good for 9 1/2 years.

Safe travels.

They (government) says it is good for 10 years but it is actually not.

Currently if you travel to certain countries and your passport is close to expiring, You must have a valid passport for at least 6 months.

So if your passport expires in May, and you are traveling to one of these countries in July, you better renew by February.

Confusing at it may seem, sometimes the pass port is only good for 9 1/2 years.

Safe travels.

In other words, it is good for ten years for entry in to the United States.

In my opinion, get the passport. Yes, you pay more, but bad things happen and having the passport is important if you have to fly in an emergency.

The OP indicated that the passport card meets their travel needs for the foreseeable future and there is nothing wrong with that. The risk is small (for most people anyway) and if it is a true emergency then the delay will be minimal (and as I said they're in the system so that reduces the potential delay even more).

the card is meant for people who live/work near the border and cross the border by car/foot often or for people in states where their licenses do not meet federal regulations for id.

the card is meant as a supplment tot a passport, not a replacement for a passport.

i would not just get a card, because then you would have to eventually get a passport and pay the fee again.

you can get the combo pack of passport and card, but i wouldn't just get a card.

The passport card was designed as a replacement (alternative) of a passport for those who cross the border frequently by car and may also be used for sea ports of entry for those traveling to/from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. The same can be said for the Enhanced Drivers Licenses that 5 states currently issue (it may be 6 by this point).

A factor only for those that may travel internationally on a moment's notice, of course.;)

The OP indicated that the passport card meets their travel needs for the foreseeable future and there is nothing wrong with that. The risk is small (for most people anyway) and if it is a true emergency then the delay will be minimal (and as I said they're in the system so that reduces the potential delay even more).

I do agree that the risk is small, however the consequences could easily be significant.

A first time passport fee is $135 while first time the passport card is $55.

Should you have to be medevaced, or for that matter miss the boat, and have to get an expedited passport (also have photos taken, etc), that fee would be an additional $60 for the expedite as well as hotels and meals, waiting for the passport. Also, if you are in a port with no US embassy or consulate, you would have to pay for local travel or for an even more expensive private passport expediter. These costs could easily be ten times the $80 difference between the passport and card. It is an individual decision and I don't pass judgement on whatever decision is made, but I the individual should be aware of the consequences.

I do agree that the risk is small, however the consequences could easily be significant.

A first time passport fee is $135 while first time the passport card is $55.

Should you have to be medevaced, or for that matter miss the boat, and have to get an expedited passport (also have photos taken, etc), that fee would be an additional $60 for the expedite as well as hotels and meals, waiting for the passport. Also, if you are in a port with no US embassy or consulate, you would have to pay for local travel or for an even more expensive private passport expediter. These costs could easily be ten times the $80 difference between the passport and card. It is an individual decision and I don't pass judgement on whatever decision is made, but I the individual should be aware of the consequences.

A good argument for good travel insurance (wouldn't cover the cost of the passport but would cover the other expenses unless specifically excluded). Yes, one must consider the potential consequences and be prepared to accept them if everything goes south.

Time to renew my passport. Is it true that I can renew and just get the card only without getting the book? Quite a difference in cost and will not be doing any international travel, only Caribbean, Mexico... Thank for your help!

Honestly, if you are not going to get the book then dont renew. Just travel with a birth certificate. The Card does not provide any of the protections the book does, and is no different then just using a BC. Save your money.

6&8

The Card is good for car or boat/ship travel to Canada/Mexico, but NOT if you have to fly.

It is a personal decision of course, but I always opt for the passport book, just in case there is an emergency of some kind, or if I had to fly somewhere not covered by the Card. But then again, I am a "belt and suspenders" kind of person .... ;)

You can get a Passport Book plus Card for a bit more $$. Which is handy if you live near the Mexican or Canadian border.

I've had a U.S. passport for over forty years, but I decided to get the card as well. I carry the card and a photo copy on heavy photo paper of my actual passport whenever I'm off the ship, in port. My actual passport remains in the safe aboard ship. Having had a maroon passport for many years, its like an AMEX card, never leave home without it., and I was required to have it on my person at all times. You just can't predict the future, and a passport is one of those things that when you really need it, you better have it. A photo copy isn't an official document, however the passport number and issue date are what the U.S. State Department needs to verify your citizenship. I should also mention, you actual passport number is different than the number on the passport card. .;)

Thank you for all the responses.. that's why I love these boards. Our Cruise isn't until January 2017, but we just noticed our passports had both expired. I think at this point, we'll go the normal route and renew with the book... as someone said, "Better safe then sorry!" thanks again... Happy New Year!1