Leftovers at Dinner

uswcer55

Okay so I know the ship is full of food.. I am a gastric bypass patient (1 year out) I can only eat like a cup, maybe a cup and a half on a lucky day, at a time.. so big meals are kind of a wash for me. Is it possible to ask them to wrap up things I actually like (I am thinking specifically the cheese plate from the dessert menu) so I can eat it later in my room? People who have had my surgery generally eat our small amounts every 3 hours or so and I don't want pizza being my only option is why I ask. Thanks for any input. I don't want to look strange to ask if its unheard of...

First the portions are small and yes your able to ask for them to pack up the food but you can also order room service and have something fresher, or you can go to the buffet and choose what you want to eat later. You don't mention which ship you be on because not all ships have refrigerators.

First the portions are small

I disagree that they are small (both the older menu, and american table) especially if you can only physically eat a little. I cruise with someone who had a different weight loss surgery but still can only eat a small amount. The staff always apologizes and offers to bring other things (thinking she didn't like the food) because there's so much left -- I end up eating some or putting it on my plate so we don't get those looks.

They definitely will get you a cheese plate to go but there isn't really a way to heat up any other food that needs to be warm.

I haven't seen where they will pack up food for taking to your room, but that might be just me. USPH requirements are such that any "potentially hazardous food" (food where bacteria can grow) that is taken out of temperature control, and has entered the danger zone (40-140*F), then it must be discarded within 4 hours. You may get something like a cheese plate, if there is a fridge in the room, but I would think it may or may not be allowed.

One of my friends had considered cruising but has similar concerns. One of the things I had mentioned was to bring a cheap food storage container/storage bag/disposable plate covers. You may not have a fridge, but the storage will help let you store some things in your cabin more easily. You could always stop by the buffet before it closes and store something for later. You can also order a cheese/fruit plate from room service (you can get an idea of what is offered by searching Google or the boards here to find a recent menu.)

If there isn't something you like or will want from room service, do ask the staff about options that you can take back to your room or get something from the buffet that will keep for later. I have a feeling that the staff will happily do what they can (within reason.)

You are certainly not the only cruiser who will bring food back to your cabin (I do it with fruit all the time!)

Depends on the MD whether or not you'll be able to take food out of the MDR. Some cruises I've been able to take the cheese plate out, others not. Same ship, different MDs.

Cheese is almost always available on the buffet. Most cruises we have some sort of buffet food in the cabin, usually cookies.

In so far as keeping extra food cold in your room ~ we are allowed a collapsible cooler bag (12"x12"12"). Have room service fill with ice each day. That will be big enough and cold enough to chill a plate properly. Of course, so long as you don't mind eating all your leftovers cold!

My first cruise was 9 months after bypass. Cruising is ideal as you can have healthy food options available almost around the clock.

Regarding taking leftovers: Some ships will allow you to remove leftover and others only allow dessert to go.

May I share a few thoughts based on my experiences?

The deli is open until 11P. Just ask for the sandwich of your choice without the bread. Then you have a good protein source for late night snacking.

Be warned the fruit drink in the dispensers on the lido is loaded with sugar. Avoid them. My doctor didn't allow any juice at all but if yours does the bars and MDR do have 100% juice.

The yogurt onboard is also high in sugar. So forget that as an option.

Room service can also provide you with some snacks. There is a nice veggie tray and again remove the bread from the sandwich and you are all set.

I often ordered appetizers as my meal. I simply prefaced my order with "I am not very hungry tonight" or "I really just want a snack" There were a few time the wait staff offered to bring me something else. I let then know that the food was delicious. That seemed to settle things.

wic108...so you say three tiny pieces of shrimp in the appetizer is not small ok.....so you say 6 escargots is too much ok......so you say two pieces of broccoli and 3 pieces of carrots is too much ok......guess you eat like a bird, but the OP will find it good and if its too much its ok to not eat it and leave it.

I cruise a lot and have had the weight loss surgery too. I ask the Mdr to pack a fruit tray and cheese tray to take with me then sometimes I get a salad from room service. I have never been asked as to why or have I been turned down. There is also a veggie tray from room service, it's good too. Hope this helps and have a great cruise.

Sometimes husband and I, want what is on the menu at MDR, but, really don't want to eat it there. On 3 different ships we have never had a problem just ordering a soup or app., placing the entree, dessert, and cheese plate order, TO GO. By the time we have finished our soup, the order is there on covered plates. Have never had any comments, raised eyebrows, nothing. Why would they care?

OP: While not what is typically thought of as special needs, and in your case I'm sure you don't view it that way, but this is something that the special needs department can handle for you, contact them prior to sailing.

I haven't seen where they will pack up food for taking to your room, but that might be just me. USPH requirements are such that any "potentially hazardous food" (food where bacteria can grow) that is taken out of temperature control, and has entered the danger zone (40-140*F), then it must be discarded within 4 hours. You may get something like a cheese plate, if there is a fridge in the room, but I would think it may or may not be allowed.

No problem with deserts, wife got sea sick in dining room on formal nite and they fixed her nice lobster dinner to go, they offered to deliver to room but we took. I think they will fix you whatever you want, as suggested may want cold foods if not going to teat soon. They wrapped wife's in foil stayed warm for several hours, would not eat hot after 2 hours. Tom

You could always speak to your head waiter and explain your situation and have them plate less food for you. Or contact special needs. If you take it to your room you have to waste time doing there straight from dinner and there's also no way to heat up leftovers. Cheese plate you'd be ok.

Edited by Jenhem31

Husband was 6 months out when we went on our first cruise. This is what he did and has done for 3 years and 6 cruises.

He goes to visit the ma'tride? and arranges for half portions at dinner. Very easily done. You get the menu for the next night at the end of dinner

He has never had any trouble getting more food after dinner also. We usually end every night with pizza and ice cream.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all this info, I have the same problem only opposite. I know, how is that? Gastric cancer, took 1/2 my stomach. I am still on a feeding tube, but hope to be off before my cruise. Surgery was over 6 months ago. I have to eat small (read teaspoon sized) portions every 2 or 3 hours. But, I need all the fat and calories I can get. No bread for me though.

Cheese is one of my best eating foods. I will contact special needs and see about a fridge for my cabin on the Ecstasy.. That will truly help.

Hope you all lose all the weight you want, I wish i could find it. I've lost too much already.

On our last cruise a table mate spent several days seasick in bed, and her friend would often order a few things for her in the MDR and they would give her a covered plate to take back to the room. Don't see why this situation would be any different.

As a Captain and long time sailor, the absolutely worse thing you can do for seasickness is going to your cabin. You need air, look at the horizon, your mind and body will acclimate.

Not sure about allowed but definitely not advised. Any chance of issues post surgery should have priority over availability.

On our last cruise a table mate spent several days seasick in bed, and her friend would often order a few things for her in the MDR and they would give her a covered plate to take back to the room. Don't see why this situation would be any different.

This always gets me. The person is sick but food is taken to them. I don't get that.

I have taken cheese plate to my cabin several times.