Passport expiring soon

Even though the country or countries we are visiting may not require 6 months, the airline could require it. This is American Airlines policy. Now I'm not sure if they are strict on this or not and likely it's just a general statement, but I'd hate to get to the airport and miss my bucket list cruise because of it.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/internationalTravel/main.jsp

"Passports must be:

Valid for at least 6 months after the date you enter a foreign country."

Edited by sr4mjc

Even though the country or countries we are visiting may not require 6 months, the airline could require it. This is American Airlines policy. Now I'm not sure if they are strict on this or not and likely it's just a general statement, but I'd hate to get to the airport and miss my bucket list cruise because of it.

"Passports must be:

That is certainly true. The airlines create their own rules if you are flying to another country.

This is not the case for US citizens on a closed loop cruise that originates in the US.

That is certainly true. The airlines create their own rules if you are flying to another country.

This is not the case for US citizens on a closed loop cruise that originates in the US.

Oh yes. We had about half an hour hold up with a United employee who was unfamiliar with ETA's on our flight to Australia.

She kept insisting that our travel Visa's should be printed in our passports instead of Electronic Travel Authorization. She went through a 3 page document from her own airline to learn about ETA's and then wanted to see the email approvals that we had received.

We just stayed calm and said, "Okay." A lot. :D:rolleyes::)

Exactly how am I wrong Charles?

You know exactly what I meant, on her cruise no country requires a passport to enter. You just make yourself look silly. People try to be respectful, but it's not possible with the passport police.

Amen.

I believe you should have a passport if you are going to travel. Yet, people like you quoted, will beat you senseless about it. There is only black and white in their world.

JC.... Sigh

"Passports must be:

Flew with AA in October 2014 with a passport that expired in 5 and 1/2 months to Germany and Romania, nobody at any AA counter spent a second lecturing me. Are you sure about AA policies....???:rolleyes:

JC

Flew with AA in October 2014 with a passport that expired in 5 and 1/2 months to Germany and Romania, nobody at any AA counter spent a second lecturing me. Are you sure about AA policies....???:rolleyes:

JC

The policy linked to above might be a new policy post the merger/takeover of AA by US Air. Or maybe the agents didn't pay attention to your passport dates. You might have just been lucky. Or maybe they make exceptions. The airlines check the passports because if your passport is not accepted when you arrive they are responsible to fly you back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

The policy linked to above might be a new policy post the merger/takeover of AA by US Air. Or maybe the agents didn't pay attention to your passport dates. You might have just been lucky. Or maybe they make exceptions. The airlines check the passports because if your passport is not accepted when you arrive they are responsible to fly you back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, airlines have boilerplate lawyers that probably live in Maryland just like the cruise lines.

Good luck stopping someone from flying on a perfectly good passport when every country they are visiting does not require 6 month expiration. They might stop said passenger from flying, but they will lose their case when said passenger complains to their congress person or takes them to court.

They have an obligation to follow the rules and laws of the country which supercedes their boilerplate lawyer garbage.

This thread is the perfect example of the do-gooder mentality that terrorizes these types of discussions.

There is always one more well this may go wrong, or that may go wrong or you are not as smart as I am because I do this, and you pathetic person don't do that.

As predictable as the sun coming up tomorrow.

JC

Yes, airlines have boilerplate lawyers that probably live in Maryland just like the cruise lines.

Good luck stopping someone from flying on a perfectly good passport when every country they are visiting does not require 6 month expiration. They might stop said passenger from flying, but they will lose their case when said passenger complains to their congress person or takes them to court.

They have an obligation to follow the rules and laws of the country which supercedes their boilerplate lawyer garbage.

This thread is the perfect example of the do-gooder mentality that terrorizes these types of discussions.

There is always one more well this may go wrong, or that may go wrong or you are not as smart as I am because I do this, and you pathetic person don't do that.

JC

I know that some cruise lines (mostly the premium/luxury lines) impose a stricter standard than the government regulations and require a passport for all sailings and itineraries and airlines may possibly do the same (impose a stricter standard). I do not know how this would play out if a passenger was denied boarding that had documentation that satisfied the regulations but not the company's policy.

JC

Are you a lawyer or just an armchair lawyer? If you are a lawyer will you take may case pro bono if they won't let me fly because my passport does not have six months validity?

If you want to take a chance that is your choice. Others might not want to be stopped from taking their planned trip and chance taking their case to court later.

I know that some cruise lines (mostly the premium/luxury lines) impose a stricter standard than the government regulations and require a passport for all sailings and itineraries and airlines may possibly do the same (impose a stricter standard). I do not know how this would play out if a passenger was denied boarding that had documentation that satisfied the regulations but not the company's policy.

Personally if I book with an airline or cruise line I am going to follow that cruise lines or airlines standards. I would rather not be denied boarding. Certainly I could challenge them on the spot or later but is it worth the hassle? For a few maybe so but I suspect that most don't want that kind of confrontation. Renewing my passport a few months earlier is not the end of the world.

Personally if I book with an airline or cruise line I am going to follow that cruise lines or airlines standards. I would rather not be denied boarding. Certainly I could challenge them on the spot or later but is it worth the hassle? For a few maybe so but I suspect that most don't want that kind of confrontation. Renewing my passport a few months earlier is not the end of the world.

I agree, if the carrier's stated standards are different then that is what the passenger should go by.

Personally we will renew DH's passport six months early and avoid taking an airline to court solely on principle. If the gate agent upholds the policy, the trip is ruined, cruise missed and for what? It is AA's posted policy, which their attorney will point to. Just as Royal has their contract policies. It's not a risk I would knowingly take.

Edited by sr4mjc

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to this site.

I am posting the same information to the other thread that was initially running at the same time.

On December 30, 2015 we went to our county seat in Ohio and got the forms to fill out for our passports (I know we could have gotten them on line, but we needed our pictures done also). Got our picture taken. No smile, no white shirt

After completing the forms we went to the post office and mailed the forms out in the envelope recommended to us as flat rate packaging, we did not rush them or do overnight.

We also did not request or pay for express service, just regular service.

We were given a tracking number but with the holiday (New Years) we just did not follow too closely.

Today exactly 2 weeks later our passports were in our mailbox.

Must have been yet another slow period.

In the envelope were inserts regarding how to obtain that new global entry.

So, happy its all done.

Later

I agree, if the carrier's stated standards are different then that is what the passenger should go by.

So, carriers have no obligation to following the actual law? In fact, they set themselves up as a higher authority?

Wow...

Edited by xpcdoojk

Just an update to this site.

I am posting the same information to the other thread that was initially running at the same time.

On December 30, 2015 we went to our county seat in Ohio and got the forms to fill out for our passports (I know we could have gotten them on line, but we needed our pictures done also). Got our picture taken. No smile, no white shirt

After completing the forms we went to the post office and mailed the forms out in the envelope recommended to us as flat rate packaging, we did not rush them or do overnight.

We also did not request or pay for express service, just regular service.

We were given a tracking number but with the holiday (New Years) we just did not follow too closely.

Today exactly 2 weeks later our passports were in our mailbox.

Must have been yet another slow period.

In the envelope were inserts regarding how to obtain that new global entry.

So, happy its all done.

Later

Happy for you. OUrs took about 3 weeks last year.

So, carriers have no obligation to following the actual law? In fact, they set themselves up as a higher authority?

Wow...

I know that many of the premium and luxury cruise lines require passports on all sailings, regardless of what the regulations say, so yes, they may set a higher standard (and Princess, I believe, when a parent is traveling alone with a child requires them both to have a passport). Of course there are plenty of lines to choose from so one may easily avoid that if one wishes:).