Clothing Iron

canuckinindia

Can we all lighten up a bit? The general tone is going very negative.

I asked about hair dryers years ago. The problem with personal dryers was twofold. #1 was the wattage on some dryers was more than the power outlet circuit could provide and thus blown circuits for several cabins. #2 was both the issue of some dryers being of cheap construction and not safe and some personal dryers having worn cords etc.

SOLAS to my knowledge is about the ship itself including almost everything. Thus the limit by extension of things that could possibly create a danger to passengers like certain types of hair dryers. Celebrity has chosen to provide dryers that are of lower wattage and they are replaced every X number of years (the wattage creating complaints) to keep us safe, but SOLAS does not prohibit them in any way.

Hairy straighteners are OK for doing a bit of ironing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I didn't know that straighteners came in Hairy and I assume smooth versions. Sounds interesting :)

Edited by ghstudio

Whether hair dyers are permitted or not is ambiguous on Celebrity's website:

What not to Pack

For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

• • Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas
  • • Sharp objects, including knives and scissors*
  • • Illegal drugs and substances
  • • Candles and incense
  • • Coffee makers, clothes irons, and hot plates
  • • Electrical extension cords
  • • Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows, and arrows
  • • Skateboards and surfboards
  • • Martial-arts gear
  • • Self-defense, including handcuffs, pepper spray, and night sticks
  • • Flammable liquids, including lighter fluid
  • • Explosives, including fireworks
  • • Ham radios
  • • Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint
  • • Alcoholic beverages**

If you have a question about an item you wish to take on board your cruise, please contact our reservations team.

* Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blades less than four inches are allowed.

** Two bottles of wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

I say technically personal hair dryers are not permitted in staterooms per SOLAS requirements. I say that they may be confiscated, "Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:" So it is up to the Security Officer and/or the Staff Captain whether personal hair dryers are allowed on board or not.

Not ambiguous at all, they are specifically ALLOWED in the web site, I quoted the Celebrity web site, once again here it is, read the last line.

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.

This is under the prohibited items of the Guest Conduct Policy.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready?tab=before_you_go_getting_ready#before_you_go_during_cruise/plan-and-book/before-you-go-during-cruise%3Fsubtab=true

Edited by dkjretired

What part of SOLAS prohibits hair dryers in staterooms?

If that were the case, Celebrity could not provide them either.

Because Celebrity hair dryers have a momentary switch rather than personal hairdryers have a switch that is on until you turn it off. :rolleyes:

Because Celebrity hair dryers have a momentary switch rather than personal hairdryers have a switch that is on until you turn it off. :rolleyes:

Does anybody real previous posts, they are allowed, the web site says so. Read posts 23 and 30

Edited by dkjretired

Does celebrity provide clothing irons in the rooms? If not do they provide them on request? And is there any restriction to bringing one onboard.

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk

I use my hair straightener for small ironing tasks like sleeves, etc. works great. Anything else, you have to have pressed by Celebrity.