New Menus?

TardisDance

I remember in the Latitudes magazine, it was mentioned that the al la carte menus won't be rolling out to rest of the ships until mid-March. Have the new menu's rolled out? From what I've seen on the Escape posts, specialty and complementary menus have changed.

I remember in the Latitudes magazine, it was mentioned that the al la carte menus won't be rolling out to rest of the ships until mid-March. Have the new menu's rolled out? From what I've seen on the Escape posts, specialty and complementary menus have changed.

I noticed that several restaurants on the Jewel said alacarte as of 1/10/16.

when I was in the escape the MDR "featured" prime rib and lobster both available at an additional fee ......

lol well if they intend on charging for certain items in the MDR they had better step up their game with the lobster. Back when they used to have lobster tails they were very very small. I would have demanded my money back for what I got.

Gotta say.. I'm not too impressed with this new a la carte idea. Part of the cruise experience is dining for cheap. I don't mind paying a fee for a meal in the steakhouse or whatever but I'm sure the a la carte plan will end up costing more. Too bad.. I was really looking forward to NCL but this culd very well be my first and last cruise with them if I feel like I'm being nickel and dimed

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Al a carte isn't bad on Escape. Our Cagney's meal was 74.38 with gratuities. Le Bistro isn't bad either, actually a little cheaper, based on what you get. So it's close to what it was when it was a cover, unless you decide you want multiple appetizers and main courses. Everyone's complaining, but where you going to go? Celebrity still has cover charges for most specialty restaurants, but it can go up to $45 or $50 pp person. So it sure isn't cheaper.

Al a carte isn't bad on Escape. Our Cagney's meal was 74.38 with gratuities. Le Bistro isn't bad either, actually a little cheaper, based on what you get. So it's close to what it was when it was a cover, unless you decide you want multiple appetizers and main courses. Everyone's complaining, but where you going to go? Celebrity still has cover charges for most specialty restaurants, but it can go up to $45 or $50 pp person. So it sure isn't cheaper.

Celebrity and Royal have higher covers, but they offer better food and service to match. Even with the improved La Cucina menu I tried on Escape, I would much rather have a meal at Tuscan Grille or Giovanni's Table. At least La Cucina used to be significantly cheaper, but a la carte has eliminated that minimal advantage.

Making passengers eat less and pay more is the end goal of this program. It's not about choice, it's about the bottom line. The executives very much want to get $50-80 per person per specialty meal in the near future.

If you buy a dining package, are you affected by this a la carte pricing?

Edited by nbsjcruiser

If you buy a dining package, are you affected by this a la carte pricing?

If you have the specialty dining package, for the included restaurants (Cagney's, Le Bistro, etc), you pay nothing if you order one entree and your choice of none, one or more than one appetizer, dessert, etc.

If you have the specialty dining package, for the included restaurants (Cagney's, Le Bistro, etc), you pay nothing if you order one entree and your choice of none, one or more than one appetizer, dessert, etc.

I apologize for this follow up. If the specialty restaurant now only offers the a la carte menu, is that restaurant still included in the SDP?

Yes you can use it there.

Kind of. It's based on where you are going, and if there's still a charge. On the Escape they have a number of a la carte options. For some it's a good idea. For some, you're better off paying, and using your SDP, if limited to a number of days, somewhere else.