Is Celebrity Loosing The Plot With Prices?

gordylad

I mean here is an example:

12 Night Baltic/Russia cruise in a SV cabin July 2017 = $625 per night.

This is crazy. Ok its a good itinerary but $625 per night...........!!!!:(

I agree that prices are getting a little ridiculous.

By the way, see you on the 2017 TA! Are you on the roll call?

That cruise is 18 months out. At this point nobody is really committed. It is an asking price and if people do not book the price will drop. A year ago you could have booked the West coast tour to Vancouver in a AQ cabin for $1899. Today it is $3699 for 10 days. It is all about supply and demand.

Last year we did a special itinerary for the 100th Anniversary of Gallipoli. That one we paid $3299 for 12 days C2. The price dropped to $2699 and at the final payment date to $1799 with extra perks thrown in. You never know where prices will end up except I do know if nobody reserves the one you mention the price will drop and keep dropping until the ship is 90% filled.

Am seeing lots of complaints about pricing and think patience will be rewarded.

I couldn't agree more that increase in prices is just ridiculous.

I think X will react only if they will see drop in bookings. Or, they might just keep the prices high and will keep adding some perks..There are plenty empty cabins thru most itineraries...

At these inflated prices I would not even consider booking a cruise. Customers want fair value for their cruise dollars!

Are you comparing to other cruise options or just complaining because it used to cost less. Celebrity will charge whatever they feel they can for cabins and if they fill the ship....they were right. I tend to think that perk offers will come as time for the cruise approaches.

We are only in a 1A Verandah cabin, however for our 14 night Baltic cruise in July 2016 we are paying $185 pppn which includes pre-paid gratuities, 14 nights parking at Southampton and Classic drinks package. I am happy with that and the upgrade to Premium Drinks is to us a no- brainier.

The more popular the cruise, the higher the price. Celebrity doesn't need you or I to book,they just need someone who is willing to pay the price. Appears that they are doing just that. What would be crazy is for them to charge less when they can get more. Stockholders would not appreciate that in the least.as a frequent cruiser I'd like to see prices go down for popular cruises, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

The more popular the cruise, the higher the price. Celebrity doesn't need you or I to book,they just need someone who is willing to pay the price. Appears that they are doing just that. What would be crazy is for them to charge less when they can get more. Stockholders would not appreciate that in the least.as a frequent cruiser I'd like to see prices go down for popular cruises, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

In past years, most repositioning TA's have had lower fares. Not anymore! They are extremely popular to those of us that enjoy this type of itinerary.

Re...

By the way, see you on the 2017 TA! Are you on the roll call?

Not yet but will be soon.........

I like others want to book cruises where the prices are fair and do not include gimmicks like free grats, bev package or even the most recent ridiculous one of free internet package at the expense of the cruise price being hiked.

Lets have pricing that will encourage cruisers to book a holiday in the stateroom they want and if Celebrity want to add the gimmicks to fill cabins then do it but don't use silly tactics whereby the loyal cruiser loses out.

I booked what I could back under 123Go promo. My Sept 5 cruise on Silhouette dont have any suites left. Our Jan 2017 cruise on Millennium still have cabins. Our May 2017 cruise on Solstice only have a few Sky suites left and Aqua seems to be filling up fast. Only time will tell. I've only seen the prices go up in the last couple of years.

In response to the question raised by ghstudio

I feel the current pricing structure is not offering fair value for the dollars being charged. As I am eligible for the elite benefits, the perks being offered are not of any interest to me, and I do not appreciate being charged excessively high prices to support the BBB pricing scheme. The perks are not free and I do not wish to pay for something I never wanted in the first place.

As gordylad said above, the loyal Celebrity cruiser looses out with this pricing structure. I agree with him that we should be able to buy the stateroom category we wish without the gimmicks.

I believe in voting with my dollars in a situation like this, and I will not pay these higher cruise prices when I do not believe I am receiving good value for my cruise dollars.

In response to the question raised by ghstudio

I feel the current pricing structure is not offering fair value for the dollars being charged. As I am eligible for the elite benefits, the perks being offered are not of any interest to me, and I do not appreciate being charged excessively high prices to support the BBB pricing scheme. The perks are not free and I do not wish to pay for something I never wanted in the first place.

As gordylad said above, the loyal Celebrity cruiser looses out with this pricing structure. I agree with him that we should be able to buy the stateroom category we wish without the gimmicks.

I believe in voting with my dollars in a situation like this, and I will not pay these higher cruise prices when I do not believe I am receiving good value for my cruise dollars.

Hate to say this but loyalty is used as a marketing device. I have been told by a top person at Celebrity that the emphaisis has been shifted from loyalty to enhanced margins. A number of others who view these boards were present when this was said. You can bet if bookings slow, loyalty will be used as a device to bring people back. I am taking a 4 day cruise that costs $1200. I am using a $500 Future Cruise Credit. I am getting $300 OBC from Celebrity plus an extra $50 as a price match. For my "loyalty" level I receive a free premium beverage package, 1680 internet minutes per person and free unlimited laundry and dry cleaning. Also receive access to Michael's Club. Guess I'm a net loser for Celebrity on this cruise. Think that they would be quite happy if I stayed home or cruised another line and they would sell my cabin to a high spending, first time cruiser. Don't want to sound cold, but it's not about us, it's about MONEY!

Do want to add that the staff on the ships does have us as the primary focus and they provide outstanding service. That's why I often say that there are two different Celebrity Cruises. One based I'm Miami, the bottom line thinkers. The one based on the ships, the people and service oriented Celebrity.

Celebrity will continue to charge the ridiculously high prices, laughing all the way to the bank,

as long as they can get customers who continue to be willing to pay them, believing that they are getting "free" perks.

I think it is up to each and every one of us as consumers to decide what's "fair" and act accordingly. If as a consumer of a cruise product I decide the price to be fair, who are you to tell me I'm wrong ? My money, my decision. No one is telling any prospective Celebrity customer they have to buy the product. Celebrity is saying, "Here's the Price, Here's the Product, either buy it or not".

Celebrity is not a social agency, cruises are not a right or an entitlement, they are a product, the price of which for this discussion is set by Celebrity. If I don't like the price, if I don't like the included perks (or gimmicks) if I don't like the product, I'm free to not buy.

For Celebrity to not maximize revenue represents an unfairness to the shareholders.

To me fairness is a two way street.

I think it is up to each and every one of us as consumers to decide what's "fair" and act accordingly. If as a consumer of a cruise product I decide the price to be fair, who are you to tell me I'm wrong ? My money, my decision. No one is telling any prospective Celebrity customer they have to buy the product. Celebrity is saying, "Here's the Price, Here's the Product, either buy it or not".

Celebrity is not a social agency, cruises are not a right or an entitlement, they are a product, the price of which for this discussion is set by Celebrity. If I don't like the price, if I don't like the included perks (or gimmicks) if I don't like the product, I'm free to not buy.

For Celebrity to not maximize revenue represents an unfairness to the shareholders.

Well said.

I'll pay for quality but where I think Celebrity is losing the plot is itineraries. Cruises that are 12 days in 2016 are 10 days in 2017. Ports are being dropped but not the prices. Moorea was dropped from the Fall 2017 TP...very disappointing. Crap itineraries will drive me away faster than prices.

Edited by Cruise Junky

At these inflated prices I would not even consider booking a cruise. Customers want fair value for their cruise dollars!

13 night Constellation transatlantic in an inside cabin on 2 April 2016 = $40 per night. :eek:

Stay on board for the B2B 12 night med Cruise on 15 April 2016 for $62 per night. :cool:

Together it's a 25 night cruise for $1,268pp = $51pp/per night. :D

You can get $400 OBC from the shareholder benefit, and more from the online site. ;)

Of course you could also book a 14 night cruise on Seabourn Quest for only $715 per night.

Edited by teecee60

Totally agree. If we don't like it, we take our dollars elsewhere.

13 night Constellation transatlantic in an inside cabin on 2 April 2016 = $40 per night. :eek:

Stay on board for the B2B 12 night med Cruise on 15 April 2016 for $62 per night. :cool:

Together it's a 25 night cruise for $1,268pp = $51pp/per night. :D

You can get $400 OBC from the shareholder benefit, and more from the online site. ;)

Of course you could also book a 14 night cruise on Seabourn Quest for only $715 per night.

You are the King of the Inside Bargain Deal. The problem is that some who complain about increasing costs won't settle for an inside. They want their usually Suite, Aqua Class, Concierge or Balcony at a bargain. I would like to build a house and get the no frills, contractor grade price and get all the upgrade options free. Wouldn't that be nice! I wonder how long the builder would stay in business if he did that.

Couldn't agree more.