UBP price rise to $69 per day

clivep

I'm STILL trying to figure out WHAT bars are you going to where beer is 8 dollars?:mad:

The most I've paid in a bar for domestic is 5. And this is in San Francisco of all places!:p

They even have a few bars where you can PBR tall cans for $2! Not a typo. Not Happy Hour either.:D

Once again my advice is to stop going to those places. They're obviously ripping you off.:eek:

I just checked my drink Prices on the SS Britanis. Cocktails are $2.25 to $2.75. Oh, but that was 25 years ago this month. How times have changed. Though back then as is now they had the newly wed game, folding napkins and bingo.

NCL know that "freestyle" is not a USP anymore, as virtually all mass cruiselines have a similar variant e.g. dining is flexible, with tables for 2 across most lines. Clearly they are abandoning "freestyle", replacing it with a new initiative called paystyle!

We have 3 NCL cruises lined up this year, it may be a defining year for one of the many cruiselines we sail.

Edited by hamrag

NCL know that "freestyle" is not a USP anymore, as virtually all mass cruiselines have a similar variant e.g. dining is flexible, with tables for 2 across most lines. Clearly they are abandoning "freestyle", replacing it with a new initiative called paystyle!

We have 3 NCL cruises lined up this year, it may be a defining year for one of the many cruiselines we sail.

Personally I would rather they do this, as all of the cruises we have booked out to 2017 are loaded with incentives and promos. It gives the feel of the cruise a substantially more upscale feel, and one I would rather have. I will gladly pay more upfront (which I have been) to have more perks on the ship.

I would never pay for the UBP. If it wasn't offered as a promo, I would just choose to drink sparingly over paying that price for it.

With that being said, I had the UBP on my previous 7 day cruise. I asked for a total of how much I would have spent on drinks on the last day and it was over $900.

We are looking forward to the UBP on our trip this month, but would not pay for it. We cruise with our children, so must not drink so much that we cannot parent our children. Additionally, those pesky ports cut into our bar time. If, however, we went without the kiddos & went on a cruise without ports, we just might sign up for it. Usually, we have a drink around the pool, a glass of wine or 2 with dinner & a maybe a cocktail over the course of the rest of the evening, so at an average of $30-50 per day, it doesn't make sense to purchase it on this trip.

My daughter and daughter in law have the package as a promo and I have the soda package as the third person in the room. I will take my wine and pay corkage fee and be happy.

I have never bought it and never would. We have NEVER spent that much on alcohol on a cruise. We may have a couple of drinks or glasses of wine each day.

I have wondered that too. As a promo it's a good deal even with the 18% gratuity (IMO) if one drinks $12.42 or more worth of beverages a day. But as the price keeps rising, the out of pocket costs for the 18% gratuity keeps rising.

Lets say it went to $100 a day and it was still offered as a promo. If you had to pay the 18% gratuity that's an $126 pp on a 7 day cruise. Assuming one is not sailing solo that's an additional $256.

As it stands now the $5 additional per day is an additional $6.30 in gratuity for a 7 day cruise ($80.64 pp at the price of $64 a day vs. $86.94 pp at $69 a day).

Still not a bad deal, but the clip at which the rates are rising in interesting. I saw increases on a few other lines (not recently), but I haven't paid attention to the frequency of the increases.

I totally agree with you. I was looking at a 10 day cruise and the gratuity on the new price adds more money to the bill for two of us. I don't drink that much may not be worth it.

If you chose either the UBP or the SDP as your perk, is it not true that the 18% gratuity is already listed on your bill from NCL or your TA? At least that is how mine is from my TA. So, is NCL going to nail us with the extra 18% on the 5.00 increase per day as a supplemental charge or are we already locked in as paying 18% on 64.00 per day instead of 69.00 per day because that was the price when our future cruise was deposited.

Also, are Irish Coffees covered under the UBP? I assume they are since they are not espresso based. Thanks

So, is NCL going to nail us with the extra 18% on the 5.00 increase per day as a supplemental charge or are we already locked in as paying 18% on 64.00 per day instead of 69.00 per day because that was the price when our future cruise was deposited.
The last time they raised the list price of the UBP (from $54/day to $64/day, last October), people who were already booked with the promotional UBP were not affected. The amount of the service charge that the passenger is responsible for is stated explicitly in the promotional terms, so that should be locked in on the booking date.
Also, are Irish Coffees covered under the UBP? I assume they are since they are not espresso based.
On our past two Epic cruises, Irish coffees were made with espresso, but included in the UBP. The Atrium bar had a two-page menu of espresso-based alcoholic drinks that were all included.

I'm STILL trying to figure out WHAT bars are you going to where beer is 8 dollars?:mad:

The most I've paid in a bar for domestic is 5. And this is in San Francisco of all places!:p

They even have a few bars where you can PBR tall cans for $2! Not a typo. Not Happy Hour either.:D

Once again my advice is to stop going to those places. They're obviously ripping you off.:eek:

New York City.

I have wondered that too. As a promo it's a good deal even with the 18% gratuity (IMO) if one drinks $12.42 or more worth of beverages a day. But as the price keeps rising, the out of pocket costs for the 18% gratuity keeps rising.

Lets say it went to $100 a day and it was still offered as a promo. If you had to pay the 18% gratuity that's an $126 pp on a 7 day cruise. Assuming one is not sailing solo that's an additional $256.

As it stands now the $5 additional per day is an additional $6.30 in gratuity for a 7 day cruise ($80.64 pp at the price of $64 a day vs. $86.94 pp at $69 a day).

Still not a bad deal, but the clip at which the rates are rising in interesting. I saw increases on a few other lines (not recently), but I haven't paid attention to the frequency of the increases.

It is $69 a day? If so, 18% is $12.42. Is that correct?

If so, I'm getting $81.42 but math is not my forte LOL

I am sailing a 7 night BA cruise in August. The 1-2 passengers in my cabin have the UBP but I want to purchase one more for my dd. Just trying to figure out do I multiply by 8 (for days) or 7 (for nights).

I should have just purchased the extra UBP when we booked. Thank you for the help.

It is $69 a day? If so, 18% is $12.42. Is that correct?

If so, I'm getting $81.42 but math is not my forte LOL

I am sailing a 7 night BA cruise in August. The 1-2 passengers in my cabin have the UBP but I want to purchase one more for my dd. Just trying to figure out do I multiply by 8 (for days) or 7 (for nights).

I should have just purchased the extra UBP when we booked. Thank you for the help.

OMG, I thought I may have purchased for my dd and I DID! OMG! I purchased December 17, 2014 for my August 2016 cruise. GO ME LOL

It's 7 days and 7 nights. Disembarkation day is day 8, but they don't count it (although you can actually continue using your UBP that morning if you find someone to serve you).

Anyway, when you go to purchase the UBP, they will figure out the total for you. All you have to do is pay :p

Ι quoted for a 14 day cruise for 2 people total ubp gratuities 350 usd almost!!!!WOW thats a lot of money thats no FREE drinks by all means...actually its more than 25 per day!!!!
It is $12.42 per person per day (so a bit less than $25 per day for 2 people). You could have just one cocktail or one glass of wine per person every day and this perk will save you money compared to the menu price.