Stinging Insects?

mommyrants

This may seem silly - but I have a serious allergy to stinging insects (wasps, hornets, yellow jackets). I carry an Epi-Pen and will always have it in port. Are stinging insects an issue on the ship? I'm trying to decide if I need a bag at all times or can get away with a lanyard/wallet.

This is a tough one. I personally have never seen a stinging insect on board any ship. Do you carry an epi pen with you at all times on land? How quick do you have to react? Do your travelling companions have time to run to your cabin to get your pen? The probability of you getting stung on board is very low but if the result of a sting is death, it depends on your comfort level.

I too have never personally seen a stinging insect on board. However, you might want to check out this thread from 2009. :eek::eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=17727298&posted=1

I have seen flies that have somehow made their way on board and have even seen a few birds that were flying around. So I would err on the side of caution and just bring a little wristlet with your pen. :)

Holy cats - that would have been a nightmare. Thank you for sharing this, my searches missed it.

The good news (sort of) is after a bad reaction this year I got tested and am allergic to everything BUT bees.

I have about 15 minutes after 1 or 2 stings and we are sailing the Enchantment, which isn't a monster of a ship.

That said - this is great feedback. I'll carry a bag or wear cargo capris depending on where we are headed.

Insects seldom fly more than half a mile from shore, so when you're at sea you'll be as safe as you ever will be. Never say never, though, because there's always the chance of an adventurous insect or one that got trapped inside at a port, so carry your pen as you would on land.

Obviously when you're docked you're in just another big building with balconies, as far as the insects are concerned.

Agreed with all advice so far. Out at sea, your chances of seeing a flying bug are slim to none (too much wind for small-strength flight, not enough eco resources... unless they like salty water).

Always err on the side of caution and use the same preparations that you will use while at home, but you shouldn't have to keep a heightened sense of insect concern while on vacation.

Happy travels!

This may seem silly - but I have a serious allergy to stinging insects (wasps, hornets, yellow jackets). I carry an Epi-Pen and will always have it in port. Are stinging insects an issue on the ship? I'm trying to decide if I need a bag at all times or can get away with a lanyard/wallet.

Salt water is an extremely unfriendly environment for insects. The only insects of any kind that come on board would do so at a port.

Stinging insects such as bees and wasps are most aggressive around their nests - mothers defending their young, so it's understandable. With all the cleaning and maintenance on board, the odds against insects making a nest are very long.

Personally I love insects but I haven't seen that many even on the islands. Never on ship.

The odds are overwhelmingly in your favor.