Istanbul - Chora Church/Museum

We would like to visit the Chora church during our next visit to Istanbul. I understand it is possible to use the T4 tram (Topkapi to Edirnekapi) & then walk to the church. Just wondering if anyone has done this?

Is there a more appealing alternative (we will have 4 days in Istanbul & stay in the Sultanahmet area)?

Edited by dogs4fun

I've visited Chora but did it by taxi, not tram. It is nice to combine it with a walk along the old city walls (very close by), some parts of which you can climb atop. Rick Steves has a good guide in his Istanbul book. Plus there is an excellent restaurant in the vicinity: Asitane.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293974-d697942-r109501078-Asitane_Restaurant-Istanbul.html

Not sure if you are asking about transportation alternatives to the tram or about other sites to see, but if you haven't been to the Archaeological Museum, it is a great site that's mostly overlooked but has some real treasures. Also the Great Palace Mosaics Museum and the Museum of Islamic Art (in one of the wonderful old wooden palaces).

I've gone there on a bus, but I don't remember which line. The tram looks easier.

If you need to ask for directions, use the Turkish name "Kariye", because I don't know if people will know the name "Chora". But there's not much else for tourists in that neighborhood, so they will probably have already guessed what you are looking for. :)

I've visited Chora but did it by taxi, not tram. It is nice to combine it with a walk along the old city walls (very close by), some parts of which you can climb atop. Rick Steves has a good guide in his Istanbul book. Plus there is an excellent restaurant in the vicinity: Asitane.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293974-d697942-r109501078-Asitane_Restaurant-Istanbul.html

Not sure if you are asking about transportation alternatives to the tram or about other sites to see, but if you haven't been to the Archaeological Museum, it is a great site that's mostly overlooked but has some real treasures. Also the Great Palace Mosaics Museum and the Museum of Islamic Art (in one of the wonderful old wooden palaces).

Thanks for the response. Sorry my request wasn't clear - I meant alternatives to tram. However, I had not even considered the Museum of Islamic Art - may have to check that out.

I look for affordability and convenience in public transportation. Being an inveterate cheapskate, I hate to spend on taxis unless absolutely necessary (which it sometimes is).

I have scouted walking routes on Google's street view & it looks pretty easy with some interesting remains of the walls along the way - just want to make certain I have selected a good route as I don't want to mess up when I am alone.

dogs4fun,

We were in port in Istanbul in the summer of 2014, arriving around 4pm until 4 PM the following day. I wanted to visit the Chora Church upon arrival, as it was closed the following day. My guide books said to catch the bus to Edirnekapi from Eminonu, and while true, for a cruise passenger you don't have to pick it up there, as there are bus stops closer to the port that can save time. For example, while walking to a tram stop, I saw a bus to Edirnekapi pick up passengers at a bus stop, but I wasn't aware of this I could've taken it until they were pulling away. I wish I'd done a little more research for transportation before we left. Getting help from the locals and even our on board travel guide proved a bit confusing at first (border control kept changing which exit was acceptable upon arrival----there were 2 or 3 options, although I hear they are updating the exit, if not already). If you have a map, ask someone to circle where you are so you can get your bearings, and if you can highlight where your desired tram and bus stops are on the map in advance, it will help! Trip advisor should also have various logistics information. Tom's Port Guide also has helpful info and maps.

We ended up not going to the Chora Church (we visited Hagia Sophia that late afternoon and had no lines at all). But if I could do it over again, I would've taken a taxi if my other options fell through, as cruisemom42 has wisely suggested. As it was getting later in the day, we were concerned about getting back, but after spending 24 hours in the city, realize it wouldn't have been an issue. With the amount of time you have there, you will have more options and flexibility.

Hope all goes well for you!

Take a taxi as they are so cheap in Istanbul. Not worth spending so much time for so little savings, at least IMO. Chora Church is a must see if you are into Byzantine mosaics but is being restored so some areas may still be off limits. And there are many tourists so go early. The area is interesting too. I enjoyed wandering around Balat as well as visiting the walls, Jewish synagogue, and Pammakatistos church. I found lots to see around there. Chora Church is not nearly as inpressive as the Ravenna mosaics because the mosaics there are not as pristine or as old, but it is definitely worth visiting.

Asitane is outstanding with authentic Ottoman cuisine - very inexpensive by my standards but not cheap for Istanbul. But I thought it was totally worth it.

I am returning to Istanbul this year for five nights before my cruise. It's a fascinating city - one of the most interesting anywhere in the world so be sure you allow plenty of time to see it.

DennStann,

Would love to know more about this ferry! (Where did you board, was it planned in advance, cost, how did you get back to port, etc.?). We didn't have time to take any ferries, but will on future trips. Sounds like a fun way to get to the Chora Church.

Thanks!

The Golden Horn ferry is a nice way to see the Golden Horn and to visit the shrine and cemetery at Eyüp, but it does not really stop near the Chora Church (not necessarily a long way, but it's an uphill walk through lots of small streets).

It might be a nice idea to go to the Chora Church by other means and then after your visit there, walk down to the water (it's downhill, and less chance of getting lost because if you keep heading downhill you will eventually hit the Golden Horn somewhere). You want to aim for the Ayvansaray ferry stop, which will take you back to the Galata Bridge (Karaköy is the stop closest to the ship).

The Golden Horn ferry is a regular public transport line, so you can use the same tokens as for the tram. It only runs once an hour, though, so check the timetable if you want to plan ahead: Haliç Hattı.

Agreed, we took a taxi there and later walked by the old city walls, which are interesting. We then walked back to the city center via the Golden Horn, stopping at the Spice Market and Grand Bazaar.

It was a long walk, be DW and I like that sort of thing. Not sure that I would want to do that in the current environment.