Dinner attire

GEDANNY

We are cruising on Celebrity for the first time Feb.21st,Western Caribbean. We have cruised in the past on other lines. What is the proper attire in the MDR for dinner? I understand dress slacks and dress shirts are ok for men. However are dresses required for ladies? Also I understand there is no more "formal nights" and they have been replaced by dress jeans or something like that?

Edited by GEDANNY

We are cruising on Celebrity for the first time Feb.21st,Western Caribbean. We have cruised in the past on other lines. What is the proper attire in the MDR for dinner? I understand dress slacks and dress shirts are ok for men. However are dresses required for ladies? Also I understand there is no more "formal nights" and they have been replaced by dress jeans or something like that?

They no longer have formal nights, they are called evening chic nights. Formal nights have not been replaced by dress jeans however "designer jeans" are allowed. We have not been given a definition of what designer jeans are however. Appears people are wearing various types of clothes including some with Tuxes, etc.

Just off the Equinox -- very little difference between Formal and Evening Chic. Might of been because people booked so long ago, or because it was a holiday cruise, or maybe Evening Chic sparked a desire to dress up a bit? Not sure, but people were dressed very nicely.:)

I still wore my Tux, but with an ascot tie. My wife wears dresses every night in the MDR, some more "chic" than others. Except for the first casual night in the MDR, no shorts, no tee shirts, no hats. True to all of our recent holiday cruises, no Captain's Table evenings.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Per Celebrity's website:

For sailings departing December 4, 2015, and beyond, Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated.

Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities are being introduced, and Evening Chic attire is replacing Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: A cocktail dress

Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing: Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

•Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Dress choice no longer necessary... Celebrity is now the all kilt cruise line. Yes, 24 hours a day everyone is wearing kilts. It's a Scottish thing.

Then when we see an individual wearing a kilt on the ship,,we`ll know it`s you!!!!

Edited by GEDANNY

Just off the Equinox -- very little difference between Formal and Evening Chic. Might of been because people booked so long ago, or because it was a holiday cruise, or maybe Evening Chic sparked a desire to dress up a bit? Not sure, but people were dressed very nicely.:)

I still wore my Tux, but with an ascot tie. My wife wears dresses every night in the MDR, some more "chic" than others. Except for the first casual night in the MDR, no shorts, no tee shirts, no hats. True to all of our recent holiday cruises, no Captain's Table evenings.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Thank you! I am so happy to hear your update. DH and I love leaving our business attire and sweats at home, and packing the formal, the gowns, the cocktail dresses, and the bling!

I have a feeling that the new "evening chic" and smart casual recommendations are just marketing semantics to attract a younger crowd. X will always stand out in my experience as a more "chic" and classy crowd and I hope it stays that way.

I believe what we will see in the future is less and less of tuxes, gowns and jackets as people become aware of the new dress code. Yes, some people get dressed up because they like to, but I feel most have got all dressed up on formal nights because they had to.

The times they are a changing.

We are sailing this June on Celebrity and given that we get 2 checked bags only for a 15 night trip (12 night cruise plus 3 nights pre-cruise), my husband is wearing a very nice polo (not a golf shirt) with dark pants and I will be wearing black pants with a nice top with some bling for formal nights. This is what we wear to a very nice Restaurant like Capital Grille in downtown Baltimore. It saves us having garment bag with a suit and 2 nice coctail type dresses. If the sophisticated chic can include designer jeans, then certainly a nice pair of dark pants with a polo should be fine for my husband. We can afford the charge for the third suitcase, but lugging it through Venice to our hotel would be a challenge. We are in our early 60's and don't have designer jeans as they are usually skinny jeans best worn on younger people who are skinny.

Edited by MAHA

Dress choice no longer necessary... Celebrity is now the all kilt cruise line. Yes, 24 hours a day everyone is wearing kilts. It's a Scottish thing.

Being Scottish, I haven't a clue what you are on about.

Hi

I hope there is somebody out there that can help. We are booked on the Eclipse in April and the dress code has changed from formal to "elegant chic". I like the formal nights so will miss them, what I would like to know is if there is anyone that has any pictures of what you or anyone else is wearing on the "elegant chic" nights.

Tracey

Do not think pictures are necessary. Dress will vary by itinerary - more casual on Alaska and Caribbean. Some are wearing formal wear - maybe 5% or less. Many men with coat and tie. Lots of sportcoats. Many women with dressy (often very dressy) tops and matching pants or nice to again very dressy dresses.

On the flip side you have "designer jeans" and collared shirts and ladies in what I wouild call casual without the chic. LOL.

Pretty much anything goes except really trashy and you would feel comfortable in formal wear. I will continue to wear either a suit or sports coat and dress slacks and tie. Cripes I wear the sports coat and tie to a nice restaurant at home.

After cruising a few times on Oceania--with no formal nights (They call every night "Country Club Casual" though no one really has a decent definition for that...I just wear, basically, casual...but nice looking--long pants, shoes, sports shirt or golf shirt), I am ecstatic that Celebrity has gotten rid of the "Formal" requirement...

Formal has just become way too hard to do--thanks to airline luggage weight restrictions and added costs and other factors...

You can STILL wear a tux or a gown if you want, you just don't need to...

The way I read it, I'm just going to pack two different levels of "casual"...

On regular casual nights, I will wear my olive or khaki Dockers and a golf or Hawaiian shirt and my Brown suede Merrells...For "Evening Chic" nights, I'll bring a pair of Black Dockers and some black/White or Gray/White long sleeve buttoned and collared shirts and my Black Suede Merrells...BUT will no longer pack a tux or a coat and tie or shiny leather dress shoes...

I'll, basically, be wearing the same thing every night--long pants, suede slip-ons and a shirt with a collar...The difference will really just be in the colors and overall effect--khakis for casual nights, black for "chic"...

I am guessing my wife will still dress NICE for dinner every night--stuff she might wear to dinner at a nice restaurant or to work back here at home...but no longer the long formal gowns--the silks and crepes and sequins and high heels...just nice skirts/blouses or dresses...Of course, some of those look more casual or more elegant than others--so, it's the nicer ones on the "Chic" nights... And I'm guessing all her packed shoes will now be "flats" or low heels...

It will all be much easier and far more comfortable...

BTW, you DON'T have to wear jeans...it is just that they are now permissible...as long as they are "nice" ones--not 501 Button-Fly or the faded ones with the holes torn in them...

Edited by Bruin Steve

As sid above pictures are not necessary as they is a wide variety now. Everything from designer jeans to formal wear. Wear whatever you are comfortable in, you will not feel out of place. We were in Suites, so ate in Lumanie, and wore dress slacks and a collared long sleeve pressed shirt. Enjoy