Beauty products to buy in France?

Aelsantokie

My daughter is going to France during spring break with her French class. I have never been there myself...yet:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BUT I did some googling what products I should have her pick up for me while she's there and it came up with stuff like Dior, etc.

I don't necessarily want her picking out color cosmetics for me, but if she can go to the "drug store" what are some good products thats like a hidden gem that you can only get in France?

I don't know if they are secrets anymore (or if you can't find them in many other places) but my favorite products from the French Paharmacie are Klorane oatmeal dry shampoo, nuxe lip balm and bioderma water (it's a makeup remover, very popular).

I would suggest you go to City Pharma which is huge and has lots of experts to help,you pick things out, or really any street corner in Paris has a pharmacy which is NOTHING like CVS in the states....full of beauty products and beautiful packaging. Sigh....wish I was there now.

I spent three months in France last year and hardly bought any beauty products - except what I absolutely required as replacements - because I found them no better (and certainly not cheaper) than what we can buy here in Australia. I love perfume, so I checked out French perfume in many different shops and outlets and found them just as expensive as here, even 'tho we have to import them.

There is a beauty product chain of stores called Sephora which are everywhere. These shops have an enormous variety to choose from - more than any pharmacy that I saw.

I agree with Langley Cruisers about the soaps. They really are gorgeous and mostly made in Marseille (where we spent two months in 2013). They come in all shapes, sizes and perfumes. Some are sold "bare" and others are beautifully packaged. Great for gifts.

To the OP - Best wishes to your daughter for a wonderful (and safe) time.

I love going to France.

Forgot to mention - One product that I do really love that I can't get here is hair mousse from a French hairdressing chain called Jean Louis David.

It is thick so you only need to use a small amount and I find that it works really well. I brought home 4 tins.

It can be purchased from any of their salons or at most Carrefour supermarkets.

I love the Apothecary stores in Europe. France does have lovely soaps and I bring them back to give as gifts. Small and easy to pack. I also bring back linens, which are lovely.

For myself, I stock up on Vichy products, herbal teas (there are so many that have specific benefits that I have found very useful over the years), and Nivea products that are not available in the US and that I have come to love over the years of traveling to Europe.

There is also an excellent hair coloring product that I buy as I do my own color.

< There is a beauty product chain of stores called Sephora which are everywhere.> These are all over the US as well. I did not see a lot of difference in their product offerings in Europe.

The French make up lines (Chanel, etc.) offer many products in Europe that are not available here and I always end up with something new.

City Pharma is indeed large but also in every american guidebook so usually packed. A decent neighborhood pharmacie should provide much of what you'd want anyway.

I adore Monoprix - for makeup, hand lotion - cheaper stuff (including my absolute favorite thing in the world - 1 E nylon shopping bags in their own stuff sack that are PERFECT for travel.

If you want the higher end products - go to the Pharmacie. Cheaper stuff (including cute baby clothing & accessories - like scarves - or even food shopping) go to Monoprix.

Whenever we're in France, we buy cough medicine - my husband's favorite Humex includes a drug not available in the US but over the counter in France - oxomemazine. Everyone in our group (except me) came down with the flu or horrible colds on our river cruise last year so I became very familiar with the German apothekes and the French pharmacies on our itinerary as I had to continually buy stuff for the patients ;)

I tend to look for things I can't find easily or as cheaply at home. I like to try new lip balms and hand lotions too.

The French & german drugstores sell lovely gel laundry handwash that I prefer for travel, so that's another thing I look for when I travel.

I spent three months in France last year and hardly bought any beauty products - except what I absolutely required as replacements - because I found them no better (and certainly not cheaper) than what we can buy here in Australia. I love perfume, so I checked out French perfume in many different shops and outlets and found them just as expensive as here, even 'tho we have to import them.

There is a beauty product chain of stores called Sephora which are everywhere. These shops have an enormous variety to choose from - more than any pharmacy that I saw.

I agree with Langley Cruisers about the soaps. They really are gorgeous and mostly made in Marseille (where we spent two months in 2013). They come in all shapes, sizes and perfumes. Some are sold "bare" and others are beautifully packaged. Great for gifts.

To the OP - Best wishes to your daughter for a wonderful (and safe) time.

I love going to France.

My family and I will be in Sydney in middle of June (our first time in Australia). Are there any specific product recommendations you can give me of unique items that I must look into?

Thank you so much to everyone for the suggestions, I'm going to make a list and send them with her, hopefully she can find some of them for me. :D:D

Hi Aelsantokie - Most of the products available here in Australia are the same as you will be used to finding in USA (I was in USA about 18 months ago) and Europe - L'Oreal, Revlon, Clinique, Estee Lauder, etc.

However, there is an Australian company called Kenkay Pharmaceuticals that makes very good basic skin care products - body wash, moisturising creams, etc. They use natural ingredients and no perfumes, so they are particularly good for people with sensitive or problem skin. I find them excellent and inexpensive. Available at most pharmacies.

The brand is simply "Kenkay".

There is a chain of stores here called Priceline, which is rather like your CVS and therefore carry a large range of brands and products, but all pharmacies also carry cosmetics, plus skin and hair products.

Your trip to Australia sounds fabulous. I wish you a very happy cruise and a wonderful visit "Downunder".