Drinks package query (newbie)

Chalco

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't find any question which is asking for similar info.

We are on the Constellation cruise out of Barcelona on the 30th July 2016 - first Celebrity cruise.

I'm looking at the various drinks packages, and I'm ok in understanding what you get on the Standard/Classic/Premium drinks packages, but looking on the website for what is included in the "classic wines package", and it just lists some types of wine.

Now, my assumption (and I always try to remove assumptions, hence the question), is that it means that you could have any number of glasses of wine in that category per night, from whatever bar / restaurant you happen to be in - however, I suspect that my assumption my be optimistic , but, if I don't ask, I will not know

Thanks for any advice

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't find any question which is asking for similar info.

We are on the Constellation cruise out of Barcelona on the 30th July 2016 - first Celebrity cruise.

I'm looking at the various drinks packages, and I'm ok in understanding what you get on the Standard/Classic/Premium drinks packages, but looking on the website for what is included in the "classic wines package", and it just lists some types of wine.

Now, my assumption (and I always try to remove assumptions, hence the question), is that it means that you could have any number of glasses of wine in that category per night, from whatever bar / restaurant you happen to be in - however, I suspect that my assumption my be optimistic , but, if I don't ask, I will not know

Thanks for any advice

If you want and are able to stand that long, you can be at a bar and order 50 glasses of wine or 50 martinis every day. The only rule is you can only order 1 at a time or two if also serving a partner.

Maybe I'm thinking about an old package, because it has been almost three years since we've cruised, but I think that the wine packages are very different from the beverage packages. I believe they entitle you to a certain number of bottles within the category. Can anyone with more recent experience confirm or correct that?

just get a premium drink package and you'll be fine. All drinks included up to 13 USD per serving/glass - as many glasses as you want to and are able to consume. You'll only pay the difference in case a drink is more than 13 USD which are not that many - maybe some speciality Martinis. Cheers and happy drinking.

Edited by BartonX

The cruise we have booked does not include any drinks packages, so all costs are on top of what we have already paid.

There are 4 of us (myself, wife, 22yr old Son and 16yr daughter) on an 8 night cruise, only 1 day fully at sea. The drinks packages that we have on offer are :-

1. "Classic wine package" @ $109 (assuming per day = 109 * 8 * 3 + 18% = $2825, or if per cruise, $109 * 3 + 18% = $386)

2. "Premium wine package" @ $179.82 (text says per day, therefore, 179.82 * 3 * 8 + 18% = $5902.50)

3. Premium package (which is what people are saying "just take it" is $65 per adult per day (65 * 3 * 8 + 18% = $1840.50 )

At $386 (£266) , the classic wine package looks good

At $2825 (£1948), the classic wine package does not look good

At $5902 (£4070), the premium wine package is twice the total price of the cruise

At $1840 (£1268), the premium package still looks silly

We like the odd glass of wine, but we are not big drinkers - for all 3 of us, we might have 10 bottles on a good week, plus my son likes to have the odd cocktail

I think we may be looking at pay as you go (unless it's the 109 each per cruise)

If my understanding of the wine packages is correct, you don't need to buy one per person. You are essentially committing upfront to purchasing a certain number of bottles of wine during the week. Unlike the beverage packages, it is perfectly fine to share these bottles with anyone you'd like. The website does make it hard to understand. A phone call might give you more information about your options, because I believe there are different prices for different numbers of bottles, and different prices for different price categories of wine. If the only beverages you plan to purchase are wine, and not soda, water, coffee, juices, mixed drinks, beer, etc, then it sounds like the wine package might be a good way to go!

The wine packages are for a specific number of bottles and the Celebrity website leaves it a 'mystery' as to how many that is. They are not a per person per day charge and the wine can be consumed and stored if the bottle is not empty. We have done this on RCL and purchased 3 packages for a 14 night cruise.

The all inclusive packages are expensive when not included in the price of the trip. Remember though, they included bottled water (which can be taken as you leave the ship) coffees and teas along with the alcohol, beer and wine.

Having received the classic with our cruises we have just paid to upgrade to the premium. The part we enjoy the most is not thinking about what our bill will be. If I see a fancy drink I can say " I'll try one of those" and not signing bills all the time is more relaxing.

If it wasn't included though, I don't think we'd buy it, I just can't see drinking enough to make it worthwhile.

Hi,

Thanks for any advice

Hi Chalco

Not sure if you have already booked this cruise or just considering it as Oceanview cabins and above are all open to the current Celebrity offer of free "classic" drinks package ... this offer is not offered on interior cabins but the ocean view is only about £20 more than interior for the whole cruise.

Classic drinks package includes soft drinks, beers ($6) and wines (up to $9 per glass) and spirits etc up to $8 per glass. It is per person but 2 adults per cabin would get this included on new bookings.

Beverage packages aren't economical for everyone. We have added up our cost for drinks and bottles of wine following a cruise and never come anywhere near what the least expensive beverage or wine package would cost. Some cruisers seem to like the "convenience", that would never outweigh the cost for us. Just sayin'

Chalco:

Your confusion is stemming from their AWFUL TERRIBLE MISLEADING website! The WINE PACKAGES are not PER DAY (this error has been discussed forever, and yet Celebrity has never corrected it... SHAME!)

The scenario you describe for you group tells me that you should completely forget about purchasing ANY wine package or beverage package. They are extremely expensive, and you will not benefit. (Even if a package should be "included" in your fare, you will definitely be paying a much higher fare!)

Simply buy your wine by the glass/bottle once onboard. Also, each cabin may carry on TWO bottles of wine to enjoy in your stateroom.... bring your favorite! :)

Chalco:

Your confusion is stemming from their AWFUL TERRIBLE MISLEADING website! The WINE PACKAGES are not PER DAY (this error has been discussed forever, and yet Celebrity has never corrected it... SHAME!)

The scenario you describe for you group tells me that you should completely forget about purchasing ANY wine package or beverage package. They are extremely expensive, and you will not benefit. (Even if a package should be "included" in your fare, you will definitely be paying a much higher fare!)

Simply buy your wine by the glass/bottle once onboard. Also, each cabin may carry on TWO bottles of wine to enjoy in your stateroom.... bring your favorite! :)

I do not thin you can know for sure that they would paying a much higher fare. It is certainly possible, but not necessarily true. Or at least this has been my experience.

We have decided to not purchase a drinks package and pay as you go when we sail on Summit in a couple of weeks. We both like a drink but can't justify the extra few hundred pounds it would cost. Time will tell if we have made the correct decision???? !!!!!

I had the premium package a year or two back, and although I am not a big drinker I do like coffees, orange juices and water. I reckon that I just about broke even on the cost but the big advantage was that I felt free to try new drinks without worrying too much if I would like them as I could easily get them replaced.

We have decided to not purchase a drinks package and pay as you go when we sail on Summit in a couple of weeks. We both like a drink but can't justify the extra few hundred pounds it would cost. Time will tell if we have made the correct decision???? !!!!!

You don't need to purchase a package precruise. If I had to pay for a package out of my own pocket I certainly wouldn't...have been fortunate for the past couple of cruises to have it included in our fare. Nothing stopping you from just paying per drink for the first couple of days and see how your charges add up. You can then continue paying per drink or buy a package which will be pro-rated for the remainder of the cruise. Enjoy your cruise!!

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread

For us at least, the package was not just about bar drinks. It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 eaThe sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each using the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

Depends on how you make use of the package.

We have upgraded to the Premium on our last 2 cruises. Our friends stayed with the Classic and were fine. I like the Craft beer selection, the wine the wifester drank last yr was $14.00 a glass x 3 @ dinner = $42.00 without a pkg every dinner.

Chalco:

Hi Julia

Sorry but disagree regarding drinks packages making the fare higher (in the UK anyway)

Timing is everything in the UK, my last 3 bookings (2 with celebrity and 1 with RCI) have all been booked when X or RCI have been running one of their promos - 18 months ago we booked Eclipse C3 concierge balcony with classic drinks and $300 OBC and free parking for £3000 for 11 nights (£136/$195 pp per night) this year we booked 14 nights on Anthem of the seas inc select drinks and OBC in a D2 balcony for £3300 (£118/$170 pp per night) and next cruise on Eclipse 14 night Baltic cruise in a C2 concierge balcony inc classic drinks, pre paid tips and $300 OBC for £3900 ( £139/$200 pp per night)

On each occasion I had been tracking the cruises prior to the deal and they were either the same price or within £5 pp per night "without" any perks .... and many times after the promo offer was over I tracked the pricing (I'm sad ;)) and it was either the same price without perks or became even more expensive

As for booking early the 2017 European cruises are out and the identical Baltic cruise on Eclipse is available same week as we are going this year @£4700 for 14 night (£168/$245 pp per night) with NO perks at all .... so almost £1000 more expensive with approx £1500 of perks missing

This might be specific to UK pricing for the last couple of years since drinks packages became more common and is typical from what I've tracked on Celebrity and RCI

I believe I read somwhere that it is possible to pay a surcharge to eat in

Blu, subject to availability, if the restaurant is underbooked for the evening...

Anyone know about this, and if so, how last minute must you book?

This is our third Celebrity cruise, but the first that is not an AQ booking.

Thanks

Robin

I do not thin you can know for sure that they would paying a much higher fare. It is certainly possible, but not necessarily true. Or at least this has been my experience.

We are elite on Celebrity so have just booked an inside cabin as we can get our nice coffees in the morning in one of the specialty restaurants and evening cocktails in the lounge between 5-7. However, what is missing here is our wine we like to drink with dinner. So, we've looked into the packages in the past and did find that indeed, we were a little better off by just purchasing the bottles we wanted while onboard....which included something similar in price to a KJ Chardonnay. Now this was a couple of years ago as we ended either getting the package or were sent some nice bottles on our last few cruises, but if all is the same, the wine package price is for 3 bottles of wine. While there were some wines that could be chosen which would save you a bit overall when purchasing the package, it isn't always the case and you might do better just buying the bottles you want. It is definitely cheaper by the bottle rather than by the glass, though.

PS -- if one person buys the beverage package (which you cannot share with others) you can still purchase bottles of wine that can be shared at a discount....I think 20% or something like that and think the one pax may have to have the premium package. This is not considered to be cheating, per Celebrity....as I am not any expert on it ... just what I was told. So, if there is someone in your party that does love that morning specialty coffee and water, etc, this might be worth your while to buy one pax the package and get a discount on the wine for everyone else. I am sure someone will chime in if this is no longer allowed but it was encouraged last time we were with passengers that had the classic beverage package and they wanted to drink a nicer bottle of wine with dinner. Others in the group had the premium package so were able to buy the bottle of wine for them.

I believe I read somwhere that it is possible to pay a surcharge to eat in Blu, subject to availability, Robin

Blu is reserved for Aqua Class guests, and suite guests on space available. :)

We are in a limo on the way to our 7 day cruise. I'm sorry if it states the amount in this thread, but how much to upgrade to premium for a 7 day cruise? We are discussing who will upgrade. Thanks!