Marina ~ dress code, jacket & tie?

some1else

It is a personal choice

I would say less than 50% wear them in our experience

It also depends on where you are cruising

Caribbean not many wear them

Europe you may see a bit more

Lyn

I would say in general they do NOT wear suit and tie, but as Lyn says it's somewhat more formal in Europe than it is in the Caribbean.

This is in terms of the main dining room and the specialty restaurants. People dress down in Terrace Cafe and dress UP somewhat in La Reserve.

You won't feel uncomfortable if you dispense with the suit and tie.

Mura

Personally,at dinner I always wear a blazer and button down collar with tie.

How I was brought up and how a gentleman presents himself..

To me after 6 a gentelman wears a jacket outside his cabin He shows his mate the respect of looking worthy of their best....

To me it is manners and respect for my fellow diners. You do not have to..but how do you see your self and how do you wish to show others of that respect. of them and their enjoyment.

True you can dress in a golf shirt and dockers....but here you are on a classy ship with classy people.

Its one part theater and one part manners... How you dress is more about decorum than self.

So.... what person are you...........

Country club casual ambience is the tag line for Oceania, coats and ties are not required . I see few ties on O, some men wear sport jackets. I have seen a handful of men in suits. I do not agree that lack of same conveys disrespect when the dress code is country club casual.

My spouse wears a jacket to the specialty restaurants but not to the GDR. Most men seem to have left their ties at home. Our last cruise in the Med, was the first time my husband did not wear a tie at anytime in any of the dining venues. Go with what you are most comfortable with.

For those that have sailed with Oceania previously, is it necessary to pack a suit jacket and tie?

I know that they are not mandatory, but wondered if the majority of men wore them to dinner?

If you go to Oceania's web site and click on the links to each of the restaurants, you'll see photographs of people dining in many of the venues. Oceania's marketing department has chosen to dress most of the men in sport jackets but there's not a tie in sight. And, frankly, those photographs are more aspirational than realistic.

Look at the models in the photograph. At the least, they're easily 10-20 years younger than the average age Oceania cruiser. Since that detail is more marketing than photojournalism, you can be confident that the number of jackets you're seeing is also more marketing than reality.

That said, the Oceania cruiser tends to be lively and engaged in new experiences. On port intensive itineraries, Oceania cruisers are off the ship early; they're going and doing. They don't party late at night so they can be prepared for another busy day in the next port. They're into experiences and not into dress codes. Some men wear sports jackets. More don't.

Ya' got me wrong pilgrim... I tried to say that TO ME I feel disrespectful to MY personal values ..part tradition, part life history. I have to answer to myself for my values

iT is a personal thing . You can wear what ever you want...because that's YOU.. and are not me, nor I you.

I reiterate...that's how I feel and why..

Ya' got me wrong pilgrim... I tried to say that TO ME I feel disrespectful to MY personal values ..part tradition, part life history. I have to answer to myself for my values

iT is a personal thing . You can wear what ever you want...because that's YOU.. and are not me, nor I you.

I reiterate...that's how I feel and why..

Glad you straightened that out, Dan, it felt you putting me down.

To the others -- the "R" ships were built without FDR's influence, and they all have a tie rack on the closet door. Marina and Riviera were constructed as the culmination of FDR's dream. At his specific direction, they do NOT have a tie rack in the closet. 'Nough said.

There are threads that talk about dress codes ad nausem!

Excluding cruises to the Carribe, on the Marina one will typically find about half of the gentlemen wearing a sports jacket, no tie, to the Specialties. Slightly less than that to the GDR. My experience, with many nights in La Reserve is that the vast majority wear sports jackets there, with only a few not doing so.

An issue which hasn't been addressed, and it's a purely personal one. That is: How your wife or SO dresses! My wife enjoys dressing up, and not wearing the minimal accepted dress when we go to the Specialties and La Reserve. Therefore, in conjuncture with Hawaiidan, I would find it highly disrespectful of her, to dress down to the minimum, when she has opted to dress up and look extremely lovely for both me and the occasion. So one's personal approach to this has a lot of bearing in their decision on bringing a jacket, or not. If your SO only desires to meet the minimum dress requirements every night, or you don't care how your wife dresses and meeting the minimal dress code is all you care to do, then a different decision may be made. You get to decide.

Thanks to everyone for their input. It wasn't my intent to start a spirited debate.

As this is our first time sailing with Oceania, I was looking for feedback about the atmosphere. You have certainly provided that.

I didn't want my husband to feel under dressed if we left his jackets at home.

I appreciate you all taking the time to reply. Thanks again.

Thanks to everyone for their input. It wasn't my intent to start a spirited debate.

It happens on all threads re dress code & smoking :D

Just as long as you wear minimum dress code suggestions no one really cares

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

It happens on all threads re dress code & smoking :D

Just as long as you wear minimum dress code suggestions no one really cares

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Apparently some people do care. But I agree with your point about wearing the minimum. It does appear that some people would like to impose their personal point of view on the dress of others. No matter what the dress code is apparently some are going to be looking down their nose at others. When they want to pay my fare then I'll listen to them.

I do understand Dan's clarification of his point.

Another item on the dress code:

DO NOT wear bathing suits in the Terrace Cafe or the Waves Grill as you will be asked to leave by the cruise staff. Not leave the ship mind you, but leave the area :D

Tank tops are also mentioned in this.

Bathing suits are OK in Waves as long as you wear some sort of coverup (and I've seen some minimal, see-through coverups). Men are OK with most bathing suits (not speedos) as long as they wear a tee shirt. My bathing suits look like normal shorts, with pockets, etc. Not sure about bare feet -- I think everyone slips on sandals or flip-flops for the Waves area. It is the pool grill, after all...

To the others -- the "R" ships were built without FDR's influence, and they all have a tie rack on the closet door. Marina and Riviera were constructed as the culmination of FDR's dream. At his specific direction, they do NOT have a tie rack in the closet. 'Nough said.

"Nough said" is right, but (to us) not the way you mean it. We find it a sad commentary.

:p You bring up a good point....

We did notice a preponderance of overdressed women at times.

I was not impressed, but...as I said... if it makes them feel special...why not?

I cant speak for all..but wearing any type of dress dosent make me ever feel "special.".. I am not that needy that I need feed poor self esteem.

I dress to feel comfortable with what I perceive to be appropriate for the dignity of the occasion.. as judged by me. and my values

I don t dress to impress others....but a some do

Edited by Hawaiidan