Booking onboard question

Jaylie

We will be on the Regal in February and would like to book an Alaskan cruise for September 2017. I have two questions .... (1) what is the advantage of booking while on a cruise, and (2) what side of the ship should we book to get a good view of the glaciers. We plan to book a balcony. Thanks for any help.

We will be on the Regal in February and would like to book an Alaskan cruise for September 2017. I have two questions .... (1) what is the advantage of booking while on a cruise, and (2) what side of the ship should we book to get a good view of the glaciers. We plan to book a balcony. Thanks for any help.

Make sure you purchase FCC's (future cruise credit/deposit) while on the Regal.

Use those to book your Alaska cruise when you return home, unless you already have FCC's in your account.

We never book onboard. No perks that we have ever seen. We just make sure we have a few FCC's each in our account so they can be use whenever we book a cruise.

They make it very easy onboard to fill out the form and drop it in the Future Cruise persons box.

We don't worry about picking a side of the ship, scenery is everywhere!

The Captain will rotate the ship for everyones benefit.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Choice One:

Book on board & receive the $100/pp deposit perk, plus OBC of $25/pp Inside/outside cabin, $50/pp balcony or suite. Additionally you can assign to your T.A. while onboard or transfer to a T.A. once you return home.

Choice Two:

Purchase Future Cruise Deposits (FCD) @ $100ea for each passenger while on board. These are good up to two years and are fully refundable. After returning home when you have time to think and research use these FCD's to book any Princess cruise either with a T.A. or directly with Princess. You will receive the same OBC's as in choice one. This is the way we go. You may wish to sit down and speak with the future cruise sales person while on board for additional information.

Edited by sknight

We book future cruises while on board since we are able to talk to the cruise guy, ask questions, etc. We also buy FCC for both of us to maintain our balance of 2 each. It is easy to do by simply filling out the form provided and drop it in the mail slot. There is no need to talk to anyone. The perks are the same whether you book on the ship or buy a FCC to use later. Your choice. The FCC lasts for 2 years and then is refundable if not used. We always use ours though.

If you are going in a north bound AK cruise from Vancouver, Canada to AK, pick a starboard balcony (right side). If you are going from AK to Vancouver, pick a port balcony (left side). Take the Glacier Bay option as it is breath taking (and cold!).

If you are doing an AK cruise out of Seattle and back to Seattle, it really does not matter which side you pick. Personally I like the starboard side in a Seattle AK out and back cruise. My normal side of the ship on most cruises is port since I have learned where to look for my cabin. Creature of habit.

I've only booked one cruise while on board. That was a disaster. The FCC rep did not tell me that the deposit was non-refundable. He wasn't very good. I have a terrific travel agent and usually call Princess to put something on hold until she can pick it up. I let her deal with all the details (fine print and offers). I occasionally stop in to ask about a cruise with the FCC rep, but won't book through the ship again.

Make sure you purchase FCC's (future cruise credit/deposit) while on the Regal.

Use those to book your Alaska cruise when you return home, unless you already have FCC's in your account.

We never book onboard. No perks that we have ever seen. We just make sure we have a few FCC's each in our account so they can be use whenever we book a cruise.

They make it very easy onboard to fill out the form and drop it in the Future Cruise persons box.

I feel the same way about booking onboard but always see a long line of passengers seated there waiting to talk to the onboard agent. Once we found a cruise we wanted to reserve using the free online access to the Princess website & emailed my TA to book it for us.

On the Crown in October we didn't even need to fill out a paper form to drop in the box for additional FCCs. The free Princess@sea intranet site has a way to submit a request using a mobile device. :)

I agree that the side of the ship isn't critical because as you said they turn the ship so everyone gets a good view of the glaciers.

I agree.

On Golden, we went to the topmost deck to take video.

We were able to cover the surrounding glaciers before the ship

was about to rotate in direction. We liked the outcome

I've only booked one cruise while on board. That was a disaster. The FCC rep did not tell me that the deposit was non-refundable. He wasn't very good. I have a terrific travel agent and usually call Princess to put something on hold until she can pick it up. I let her deal with all the details (fine print and offers). I occasionally stop in to ask about a cruise with the FCC rep, but won't book through the ship again.

I'm new to cruising and purchased some FCDs with the understanding that until final payment is made, the deposit is refundable. This is copied from our FCD letter.

The FCD is fully refundable if your new booking is cancelled prior

to final payment date, unless it is used in conjunction with a non-refundable deposit booking.

I'm new to cruising and purchased some FCDs with the understanding that until final payment is made, the deposit is refundable. This is copied from our FCD letter.

The FCD is fully refundable if your new booking is cancelled prior

to final payment date, unless it is used in conjunction with a non-refundable deposit booking.

Correct its refundable prior to final.......... Unless its a non refundable deposit promo, then you lose the fcc.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Correct its refundable prior to final.......... Unless its a non refundable deposit promo, then you lose the fcc.

I don't recall seeing any promos that have non refundable deposits are they clearly stated on their website or hidden in the fine print. Perhaps if you could post a screenshot of one thanks Colo :confused:

I don't recall seeing any promos that have non refundable deposits are they clearly stated on their website or hidden in the fine print. Perhaps if you could post a screenshot of one thanks Colo :confused:

I don't have one one mind but they are out there.

I book through a TA so I am informed if its a non refundable.

I usually steer clear.

There's no incentive to book on board that I can see although there was one time when they did have a double FCC credit if booked while still on the ship but that was a one time thing.

I think they rely on people getting caught up in the excitement of the moment & booking without comparing prices from other places which is hard to do from the ship. If you're certain you want to book from the ship do a little research before you leave so you'll know what they prices are beforehand.

I don't have a screen shot, but this is a copy & paste from the reservation of a 5-day Caribbean cruise we took on the Emerald Princess last November. It was booked the end of 2014, and under the promo, it was not refundable:

************** IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THIS BOOKING ******************* The deposit for the fare you have selected is 100% non-refundable and non-transferable. Upon payment, no portion of the deposit is refundable for any reason. Shipboard credit applies to the first two passengers in the stateroom only. Shipboard credit applies to this offer only and is not transferable to other promotions.