Hearing loss in the dining room

auntjoy036

Mom and I went to Alaska last summer on the Noordam. It was Mom's first cruise and first time in Alaska. She loved it so much I'm taking her back this summer on the Volendam.

Our experience on the Noordam was great, approaching perfection. But one thing I did not like is when I requested a table for two (open seating), I was often flatly told no or strong-armed into sharing a larger table.

Mom has hearing loss. A table of 6 or 8 with multiple people speaking is very difficult for her. She can't hear and follow the conversation, but she can tell people have said things to her and expect a response. It makes dinner, which should be a pleasure, stressful for her.

What would be the best way for me to get a table for two for us? I could request one at a fixed seating, but I know they are rare and there is no guarantee my request would be honored. Does the Volendam allow for any reservations within open seating? It would help if I could book our table ahead of time and avoid that awkward interaction at the door.

I appreciate your advice.

Finally I apologize if this is a well worn path. The tablet I'm using tonight can't use the site's search function.

Thanks.

Vicki

Mom and I went to Alaska last summer on the Noordam. It was Mom's first cruise and first time in Alaska. She loved it so much I'm taking her back this summer on the Volendam.

Our experience on the Noordam was great, approaching perfection. But one thing I did not like is when I requested a table for two (open seating), I was often flatly told no or strong-armed into sharing a larger table.

Mom has hearing loss. A table of 6 or 8 with multiple people speaking is very difficult for her. She can't hear and follow the conversation, but she can tell people have said things to her and expect a response. It makes dinner, which should be a pleasure, stressful for her.

What would be the best way for me to get a table for two for us? I could request one at a fixed seating, but I know they are rare and there is no guarantee my request would be honored. Does the Volendam allow for any reservations within open seating? It would help if I could book our table ahead of time and avoid that awkward interaction at the door.

Finally I apologize if this is a well worn path. The tablet I'm using tonight can't use the site's search function.

Thanks.

Vicki

There are plenty if tables for 2 - you should have no problems getting one. You can reserve a table for 3 nights in anytime dining - I would be doing that so that your Mum can enjoy her cruise.

You can only make reservations in Open Dining from opening time (5:15 I think) until 6:00 or 6:30. Then they take reservations for later on, maybe after 7:45, otherwise it's come and line up. I hope others will recall the hours better and will chime in here.

We also prefer a table for two and a quiet one at that. We go early, usually 5:15 or 5:30 if possible and request a table by the window or near a wall or a corner, that way there is less competition sound-wise... and we usually had a window so that was nice.

Tell them why you want a particular request and maybe that will help. Hope it works better this time, m--

It is a lot easier to get a private table for two on the smaller HAL ships. On the newer larger ships like the Noordam, the dining room is set up with more of the larger tables to accommodate the larger number of passengers.

It will be easier to get a small table on the Volendam.

igraf

Thanks.

Vicki

Edited by igraf

Open Seating -- you can make reservations between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9. And it can be for 3 days at a time.

There are plenty of tables for 2.

Once you get on the ship, see the dining room manager and explain about your mother's problem and that you really need a table for 2. He is usually in the Explorer's Lounge starting around 1 PM.

Check your daily "On Location" program his place and time.

Please don't forget Pinnacle and Canaletto. Extra charge of course but if you get stuck.... go for Canaletto. Quiet.... very nice. I've learned to live with Canaletto. Even go for Pinnacle on formal nights and the other five nights do Canaletto. I prefer the quiet to the MDR.

I have the same issue. The Volendam, as someone already said, is smaller and will be less of an issue. But I always request one of the set dining times as I like to know which table I am going to. I am like a lemming that way! :)

I also have hearing loss (severe/profound). All of the above suggestions are very good. I completely understand her frustration.

You might also fill out the form available online to send to the Access Compliance department, and note that your mother has hearing loss. Various devices are available for the stateroom and show lounge which might be useful.

At the bottom of the form, note your seating and the need for a table for two, and it will be conveyed to the ship. A table in a corner or along a wall would especially help her hear in the noisy environment.

Then on board, see the dining room manager to reconfirm your situation and request. They will work with you.

P.S. Vicki, you are a great daughter to be taking your mother on such wonderful trips!

Edited by Caribbean Chris

You can always get a table for two either by making a reservation or waiting. Your chances of getting a 2-top as a walk-in will be much better if you arrive before 5:30. Often they will seat two at a table for four and pick up two place settings. If they try to strong-arm you, simply say "We'll wait". If they say the wait will be too long you can go to the Lido that night.

Edited by jtl513

Just another take on this. My husband has hearing loss too. He wears hearing aids in both ears. He has a hard time hearing in an area with multiple speakers too. We usually get a table for 6. The first night when we meet our tablemates we tell they that he doesn't hear well and when speaking to him to speak up. So far, people have always cooperated and he is able to enjoy the conversation. He does miss some things but people do understand why he might not be responding appropriately. I also do a lot of "translating".

Just another take on this. My husband has hearing loss too. He wears hearing aids in both ears. He has a hard time hearing in an area with multiple speakers too. We usually get a table for 6. The first night when we meet our tablemates we tell they that he doesn't hear well and when speaking to him to speak up. So far, people have always cooperated and he is able to enjoy the conversation. He does miss some things but people do understand why he might not be responding appropriately. I also do a lot of "translating".

I have severe hearing loss in one ear and wear my aids at dinner. I like tables for 6 that are against the outside to minimize the background noise. Then I try to sit where my good ear is facing the group. Tables larger than 6 just do not work well for me and those in the middle of the dining area are a real problem!

I also have hearing loss (severe/profound). All of the above suggestions are very good. I completely understand her frustration.

You might also fill out the form available online to send to the Access Compliance department, and note that your mother has hearing loss. Various devices are available for the stateroom and show lounge which might be useful.

At the bottom of the form, note your seating and the need for a table for two, and it will be conveyed to the ship. A table in a corner or along a wall would especially help her hear in the noisy environment.

Then on board, see the dining room manager to reconfirm your situation and request. They will work with you.

P.S. Vicki, you are a great daughter to be taking your mother on such wonderful trips!

Great post! By all means, OP, submit the Special Requirements Information Form (copy attached for your convenience) to HAL's Access & Compliance Department (Phone: 1-800-547-8493 TTY: 1-800-254-8669 Email: halw_access@hollandamerica.com) and follow up with a 'phone call 60 or so days before your cruise. HAL has always made all of the accommodations we have requested for a medical condition my spouse has, which is another reason we are 100% loyal HAL cruisers.

SRI_Form.pdf

Edited by avian777

If they try to strong-arm you, simply say "We'll wait". If they say the wait will be too long you can go to the Lido that night.

On the only time we had open dining and the concierge could do absolutely nothing for us because HAL Headquarters had pre-booked the entire Deck 3 Dining Room for a huge group on board, we played this game every night. We would show up and request a table for 2 and they would say they had none and there would be a wait, would we care to come back in half an hour or so. We said fine "we'll wait here" and just stood a few feet away from the podium inside the dining room. It was remarkable how fast a table suddenly became available. :rolleyes:

Edited by taxmantoo

As we all age some of us have hearing loss and it does become very difficult in the dining room. A table for two may be the answer but it has to be a specific table. A lot of tables for two involve sitting almost shoulder to shoulder with your neighbors which in many cases now becomes a table for four with a little distance between them. If the table is near the serving station then the noise from the wait staff overpowers you. Be careful what you ask for.

I strongly recommend you go for anytime dining and scout out the diningroom and find a few ideal tables and attempt to make the reservations accordingly. A table for four or six in a far corner of the dining room with the hearing impaired person seated against the wall will be your best shot. I'm suffering from some degree of hearing loss and am planning ahead. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Vicki

I understand your issue well. I don't hear well at all and the wife is quickly becoming that way too. Our problem is the background noise. Wearing a hearing aide doesn't really help either. You may not prefer this option, but we've found the buffet is much quieter.

A lot of tables for two involve sitting almost shoulder to shoulder with your neighbors which in many cases now becomes a table for four with a little distance between them.
But at least in that case you're trying to ignore their conversation, not hear it.
I strongly recommend you go for anytime dining and scout out the diningroom and find a few ideal tables and attempt to make the reservations accordingly.
Dining room layouts are available HERE Edited by jtl513

I also have a hearing loss and wear hearing aids. Have found that the aids seem to amplify the background noise from adjoining tables more than the sound from our own table. So sometimes I can hear better in the dining room by just removing them. However, on our last cruise I met an older veteran with a service-connected hearing loss. He wore hearing aids, but they came with a device about the size and shape of a pen which he could lay on the table. It picked up only the voices at the table and sent them to his hearing aids so he wasn't frustrated by the normal background noise. I plan to look into this this summer when I can replacement hearing aids from the VA.

[What would be the best way for me to get a table for two for us? I could request one at a fixed seating, but I know they are rare and there is no guarantee my request would be honored. Does the Volendam allow for any reservations within open seating? It would help if I could book our table ahead of time and avoid that awkward interaction at the door.

Take a look at the Dining Room 'map' that has been posted on here...make a note of the 2-top tables that you think will work for your Mom....send an e-mail to Ship Services on the Volendam (sorry, I don't have theirs) asking that, if possible, you could be seated at whatever table you chose & possibly what time you'd like.

I did this before our recent O-dam cruise &, even though we didn't get the either of the 2 we requested because they were already occupied by cruisers doing a B2B, we did get a satisfactory table.

Hope this helps & enjoy your cruise.

Speaking of hearing loss, it would be nice if they "T-coiled" the showroom so that the lectures could be more readily heard from any seat.

Yes! It is remarkable how effective the hearing loops can be in theaters for hearing aid wearers. I've been in some National Park visitor centers where they have been installed, and it's a world of difference.

Are you certain you want open seating?

The late/main fixed seating is frequently requested less than early fixed, and even open seating. There are quite a few tables for 2, or for four that end up set for two, around the inner railing. There's a walkway along all those tables, so no tables nearby to generate noise.

Take a look at the table numbers, select several that would work, and have your TA request them.