Sailing out of NY/NJ in Winter

Newbcruiser1

Hi all,

I have been on several cruises out of NJ, with one of them being in the dead of winter. Unfortunately, I always struggle with the packing aspect. On my last cruise, as I visited NYC the night prior, I needed my full down coat and boots as it was frigid.

This time, I will be flying in a day prior to embarkation from Toronto and staying in NJ. The most I'll be outdoors pre-cruise will be in/out of the airport shuttle, walking next door to the hotel for dinner, and possibly a 5-10 minute walk to/from the outlet mall.

I'm at a loss of what kind of coat to wear. My options are pretty well a knee-length wool coat, a big puffy down knee-length coat, a packable down vest with hood, or none of the above? (I don't think a jean jacket or a very light leather jacket will serve its purpose). I don't feel the need to freeze outside this time going under the Verrazano bridge - been there done that and have plenty of pics to prove it! So in terms of onboard, I'll mostly need the jacket for exploring the outdoor decks on embarkation day and maybe the second and last days to get to/from such things as iFly or the North Star.

And on a similar note - what do you typically wear on the first and last sea days when the weather outdoors can be questionable? Do you dress in your Caribbean gear and stay indoors (solarium, etc)? Or do you dress warmer and sit outside? I plan on bringing a mix of clothing but I'm having trouble recalling what others wore on my last Northern US winter cruise! :)

On embarkation from the NY metro area in winter you will see lots of women in fur coats & other heavy / warm outerwear. I live here & wouldn't skimp on a warm coat. That said, it's been an extremely unseasonably mild winter so I'd follow the forecast.

We're leaving this weekend. As of now, I'm thinking I can get away with my shoulder season coat.

This winter has been pretty mild so far, but if you are planning to be out on the top decks for sail away, I'd go with the down coat. I wore a winter jacket, hat, scarf and gloves for a windy sail away in October so I'd rather be bundled up and enjoy sail away. It gets frigid! Also, I would want the coat for the 5-10 min walk to the outlet stores.

I have a mid-calf sort of fleece black coat that weights nothing but blocks wind and works fine with slacks or dress. That coat has been so useful for times like sailing out of NYC in January and travel in general from Boston.

Thanks all! Sounds like some varying opinions! :) I guess I will wait and check the forecast just prior to heading out and make a last-minute decision! I can't see myself using really any of the coats once actually onboard.

And my other big issue is that I'm quite concerned with dragging it through the airport (my down coat and wool coats are quite bulky and heavy) and trying to store it on the plane (which is a small plane with limited overhead space which from my experience, they only want used for carry-on bags and not coats).

There are packable, lightweight down coats sold everywhere now. Of course quality varies, but I got a Calvin Klein one for under $80 at Marshall's and its a hip length jacket, very warm. I love it and wear it most days. It folds up into a pouch no bigger than a wallet of evening bag so that would help with the air travel part of your trip. Just figured I'd throw it out there. Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

Kohls has TekGear pack able down hooded jackets that weigh about 8 oz (seriously). I take a newspaper bag & stuff the jacket in the bag they don't take any room & sure are nice when you need it. Oh & I paid under $25 for it (with Kohls coupons). Mine is blazing hot pink but there are more subdued colors

Edited by awhfy

Thanks once again! I know all about the packable down jackets but was trying to save some money since I would get such limited use out of it (I prefer my "usual" jackets at home, and certainly have enough of them! Lol!).

I will keep my eye out for any bargains on packable jackets though in the next few weeks before I leave! Unfortunately we don't get as good deals here north of the border (not to mention our tanking dollar for making shopping in the US a major bust). If all else fails, I'll make a last minute decision between down vest, puffy huge down coat, or wool coat based on the forecast the day before I leave!

I would take a less bulkier coat and just pack a warm sweater and maybe a thermal undershirt or something....

I have been to NYC in November and December....I was cold but not uncomfortably cold (it just felt like I was outside in the winter) in December with a tank top, thermal undershirt, and a sweater with my pea coat, gloves and a hat...we were walking around a lot and going in and out of stores/buildings so I didn't want to sweat and then go out and freeze from sweating....

Try cruising the aisles at the MEC store in Toronto. You may find something that will keep you warm but pack small and light!

I'd do a combination of layering a down vest and a soft-shell jacket and add a scarf, toque and gloves. There ARE times when practicality win out over fashion ;)

(MEC = Mountain Equipment Co-op, Canada's version of REI)

I have recently purchased two packable jackets and can't decide between the two. I'm not sure that the TekGear at Khols is down filled, but would really like to know. Can't find a down filled Tek Gear on their website. Does down make a difference?

Kohls has TekGear pack able down hooded jackets that weigh about 8 oz (seriously). I take a newspaper bag & stuff the jacket in the bag they don't take any room & sure are nice when you need it. Oh & I paid under $25 for it (with Kohls coupons). Mine is blazing hot pink but there are more subdued colors
Edited by AnnieB925

If the jackets are packable, they're likely down-filled. Polyester fill doesn't tend to be packable as its bulkier and denser! :) Down makes a difference in that its lighter but holds more air which will keep you warmer (at least, in theory!). But I would base your decision on which one you like the look of better, personally! :)

Thanks for the suggestions - I don't think I'll get down to MEC before my cruise (I live and work in the suburbs).

If all else fails and it's not really cold and/or snowy in NJ when I go, I'll do either the vest or wool coat option with a warm scarf and gloves (and a sweater with another layer under it if needed).

Thanks so much for all of the opinions, thoughts, and ideas! :)

I have recently purchased two packable jackets and can't decide between the two. I'm not sure that the TekGear at Khols is down filled, but would really like to know. Can't find a down filled Tek Gear on their website. Does down make a difference?

I don't find that down makes that big a difference like it used to. Some of the synthetic fillers/fabrics are good these days. Down will not necessarily keep you any warmer. I'd rather concentrate on getting warmth without a lot of bulk.

I don't find that down makes that big a difference like it used to. Some of the synthetic fillers/fabrics are good these days. Down will not necessarily keep you any warmer. I'd rather concentrate on getting warmth without a lot of bulk.

I absolutely agree with sail7seas on this. The new-age synthetic Primaloft is no longer the bulky stuff we used to deal with 10 years ago. Look at the offerings by The North Face (Thermoball, aka Primaloft) and Patagonia (Nano Puff, aka Primaloft) are nicely thin and warm. REI has their own brand with Primaloft.

Thank you for the feedback. I ordered a packable down puffer (32 degree brand) that comes in its own little travel pouch. There are almost 500 reviews on the Macy's site and many people comment on how much they use it for travel. I'll report back when I get it.