New Caledonia - injections required

Esilef

Dads reading the RCI travel documents and has told me that we all need injections for New Caledonia or they won't allow us off the ship. This was not the case last time we cruised there. Has this now changed?

Sorry dads having a first cruiser panic attack. Next question was on Noro........

Dads reading the RCI travel documents and has told me that we all need injections for New Caledonia or they won't allow us off the ship. This was not the case last time we cruised there. Has this now changed?

Sorry dads having a first cruiser panic attack. Next question was on Noro........

Been to New Caledonia 9 times (last visit Feb 2015). Never needed an injection of any description.

Been to New Caledonia 9 times (last visit Feb 2015). Never needed an injection of any description.

That's what I thought. He's convinced we are going to be kept on the ship as we haven't had the injections.....

Btw he will be taking notes at the muster drill and telling off other passengers for not listening.

That's what I thought. He's convinced we are going to be kept on the ship as we haven't had the injections.....

Btw he will be taking notes at the muster drill and telling off other passengers for not listening.

You might have to sedate your Dad with a few cocktails pre emergency drill.

Way to go, reduces the anxiety, a couple of double scotches works for me.

Above all, enjoy !!

You might have to sedate your Dad with a few cocktails pre emergency drill.

Way to go, reduces the anxiety, a couple of double scotches works for me.

Above all, enjoy !!

Scotch is good for a sore throat and/or the flu as well.:D

Scotch is good for a sore throat and/or the flu as well.:D

He needs some. He has noted that they need to be on the ship by 11am but our flight departs Melbourne at 10:40am. Omg he's going to be 2 hours late!!!! Contact the captain.

I've tried to explain staggered boarding times.

Pass the cocktails to me......

He needs some. He has noted that they need to be on the ship by 11am but our flight departs Melbourne at 10:40am. Omg he's going to be 2 hours late!!!! Contact the captain.

I've tried to explain staggered boarding times. Pass the cocktails to me......

I know what you are saying, but I wouldn't book a flight a late as 10.40. I realise it is a shorter flight than from Brisbane, but the time isn't spent in the air it is in waiting and then possible delays. When NSW has daylight saving time we book a flight from Brisbane around 8am. When NSW is in 'real' time we book around 9am. :)

I've tried to explain staggered boarding times.

Pass the cocktails to me......

Lol, have fun.:D

I'm going to have my two bobs worth with this discussion. For any cruise we do into the South Pacific we make sure all our routine shots are up to date such as tetanus and flu as well we get hepA, hepB and typhoid shots and boosters when necessary.

Although vaccinations are probably not required for any of the ports on a typical SP cruise I would be wanting to play it safe. My suggestion is to have a chat to your GP and get him or her to check a travel vaccination web site for the countries you are visiting and be guided by the advice given.

I'm going to have my two bobs worth with this discussion. For any cruise we do into the South Pacific we make sure all our routine shots are up to date such as tetanus and flu as well we get hepA, hepB and typhoid shots and boosters when necessary.

Although vaccinations are probably not required for any of the ports on a typical SP cruise I would be wanting to play it safe. My suggestion is to have a chat to your GP and get him or her to check a travel vaccination web site for the countries you are visiting and be guided by the advice given.

Good advice...That will keep your Dad occupied.

and by the way dont mention Dengue fever...:eek:

Good advice...That will keep your Dad occupied.

and by the way dont mention Dengue fever...:eek:

He's been asking about the need to pack a Noro medical kit.

I explained that as part of cruise packing gastro stop, travel calm ect are already packed & ready to go. On the cruise constantly sanitise hands. "Washy washy"

I'm off to the bar........

In my experience, the travel doctors will recommend all sorts of immunisations and vaccinations. After all it is their business. They look up a list to see what is required for a certain country, but a lot of these precautions don't apply to people visiting for one day and most likely not eating ashore or drinking the local water. :)

I agree with the comment about having the standard shots up to date.

Edited by Aus Traveller

In my experience, the travel doctors will recommend all sorts of immunisations and vaccinations. After all it is their business. They look up a list to see what is required for a certain country, but a lot of these precautions don't apply to people visiting for one day and most likely not eating ashore or drinking the local water. :)

I agree with the comment about having the standard shots up to date.

The Travel doctors say better safe than sorry, give you the jab and $400 later, you are on your way.:eek:

The standard shots would definitely be flu and tetanus.

The Travel doctors say better safe than sorry, give you the jab and $400 later, you are on your way.:eek:

The standard shots would definitely be flu and tetanus.

We got caught years ago when we were on a cruise that visited China. Our GP checked up on what was required and insisted we have vaccinations for cholera and typhoid :confused: as well as the usual (polio, tetanus, flu etc. etc.). I didn't mind the regular shots, but I had to be talked into the cholera and typhoid. When we were not going to eat or drink ashore it was bad advice. The shots cost a fair bit of money and made me feel very unwell. I don't like the idea of subjecting the body to unnecessary vaccinations. :)

Oh my goodness I am experiencing something similar with my 83yo mother who I am cruising with next month.

She keeps forgetting where we are going so I keep having to answer the same questions over and over!

Arggghhhh it's going to be a looooong cruise :rolleyes:

Oh my goodness I am experiencing something similar with my 83yo mother who I am cruising with next month.

She keeps forgetting where we are going so I keep having to answer the same questions over and over!

Maybe you should get your mum and Esilef 's dad to cruise together, and they can console each other about the meds and the cruise.

I can relate to that. My MIL is 94 and she doesn't know what day it is or what year it is. We took her with us on 13 overseas trip and around ten years ago we called a halt because she couldn't get travel insurance and all the responsibility fell on us. :( She didn't care that she didn't have insurance. She just said she had never needed it so why bother. :)