Salad in the buffet.

jig

Reading about the wonderful changes coming our way was one that interests me a lot. No more self service salads? I am not happy about that at all. Not only will that slow everything down how can that work. You want 3 tomatoes? You want 5 onion slices? You want half spoon of corn? Small amount of cheese? Try explaining that to the staff. Going to be very frustrating.

We have tried that at the sandwich bar. I like to put sliced turkey on a salad. I would go over and ask for some turkey and they just couldn't understand why I wanted that. Or some tuna. Same story. Yes, after a few days it would get better but they seemed flustered that you didn't want it in a sandwich.

Also would have a problem at the grill. Hot dog without the bun and the spicey mustard. Had to explain that one several times. I think the problem there is one of the dining staff take the order and then gives it to the cook. Lost in translation.

I'll be on the Veendam I nay for 14 days. I'll see how it works. Much longer trip on it next year.

Salads were self service on the Westerdam in December- I had one almost every day. The bowls were much nicer too. Angled, larger and plastic. And they added some great pretzel breads. I am among those who like the Lido changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I felt the same way when we went on the NA in Dec...Can't make my own salad, how awful. Boy was I surprised. It was not slow. The same guy who made my omelet in the morning worked the salad bar. The bowls are nice. There is alot to pick from for meats, veggies and other crunchy things. They put as little or as much as you want. They will even toss it for you.

PS - they had fresh seared tuna there every day.

Salads were made for us on the Nieuw Amsterdam recently. But it wasn't as bad as you fear. Give it a chance. There were lots of things that could be added, including good-sized chunks of chicken. The person making the salad had a pretty good grasp of what I was asking for.

The one thing I didn't like was the slanted top of the bowls. It was impossible to set your silverware down on the bowl to take a drink, or something. It slid right down to the table. If they're going to use these bowls, at the very least they should also have a service plate.

I'm sorry, but if items aren't self service why not just go to the dining room and get served there? And you even get to sit while you wait??? And further you don't even have to carry hot plates! I just don't understand a "buffet" that isn't self service.

As far as I am concerned the Lido is already a disaster. All the individual serving "stations" with people forming lines on both sides of where people are being served. The whole system needs to be revamped... I have just about given up on eating there unless it is absolutely necessary. Besides looking at sandwiches with mayo sitting out un-refrigerated! Yuck!

Going to the dining room or calling room service is so much nicer than dealing with the lido which most of the time borders on being a zoo.

I felt the same way when we went on the NA in Dec...Can't make my own salad, how awful. Boy was I surprised. It was not slow. The same guy who made my omelet in the morning worked the salad bar. The bowls are nice. There is alot to pick from for meats, veggies and other crunchy things. They put as little or as much as you want. They will even toss it for you.

PS - they had fresh seared tuna there every day.

Will they put dressing in small container on the side?

I never want them to put my dressing on.

I'm sorry, but if items aren't self service why not just go to the dining room and get served there? And you even get to sit while you wait??? And further you don't even have to carry hot plates! I just don't understand a "buffet" that isn't self service.

As far as I am concerned the Lido is already a disaster. All the individual serving "stations" with people forming lines on both sides of where people are being served. The whole system needs to be revamped... I have just about given up on eating there unless it is absolutely necessary. Besides looking at sandwiches with mayo sitting out un-refrigerated! Yuck!

Going to the dining room or calling room service is so much nicer than dealing with the lido which most of the time borders on being a zoo.

If I'm in a swim suit with cover up, I cannot go to MDR but can go to Lido. I don't want to shower and change to get a quick MDR lunch.

Didn't a few people confirm (to you) on other threads that you could get dressing on the side :confused:

###

I don't know. Did they?

If I knew the answer, I would not have asked the question.

I'd be over the moon to go to the MDR every day for lunch. On my last cruise of 14 days I think it was open 3 days at lunch. If I never had to go to the lido it would be the best cruise ever! I've got a laundry list of things I hate about the lido.

Honestly, except for Ruth (because she stated a specific issue), how does one not know that you won't like slanted bowls, can't have dressing the side, etc. until you get there? I thought the bowls were a vast improvement. Before they were smaller and had a large flat rim (where one could rest a fork), but that limited you to a 1/2 cup of greens and a tomato wedge before it busted out of the top. These are much larger and easier to mix your ingredients in before you eat it. They had small plates on the side one could put a small roll OR dressing on the side.

Sorry for the perceived snark but it's SALAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not enjoy asking for items to be put into a bowl. I know how much I want and what I want and to verbalize everything in detail sounds like a pain. Having a dish with a slanted top is of zero concern to me. There is a table there after all. That said, we each have our preferences. I can see if a person only wanted lettuce it would be no biggie. Often I'll put lettuce, tomatoes, olives, croutons, seeds, blue cheese, onions etc in mine. I want to stress this isn't going to stop me from cruising. I read one poster say they would stop cruising because of it. I only wish my life was so free if stress that this would be a tipping point for me. It is what it is and I imagine I'll survive :D.

Edited by cruz chic

I do not enjoy asking for items to be put into a bowl. I know how much I want and what I want and to verbalize everything in detail sounds like a pain. Having a dish with a slanted top is of zero concern to me. There is a table there after all. That said, we each have our preferences. I can see if a person only wanted lettuce it would be no biggie. Often I'll put lettuce, tomatoes, olives, croutons, seeds, blue cheese, onions etc in mine. I want to stress this isn't going to stop me from cruising. I read one poster say they would stop cruising because of it. I only wish my life was so free if stress that this would be a tipping point for me. It is what it is and I imagine I'll survive :D.

I agree with 99% of what you said cruz chic but I was not as nice about it, which is why I deleted it. I don't like dressing on top - it grosses me out - so I put it on the side or in an unobtrusive place in the bowl.

I was annoyed because we just booked a TA yesterday and as I am reading through the board the past few days there is so much negativity and nonsense. Chairs don't look comfortable (they haven't been sat on), that carpet is ugly (it's not in your house), I don't like ____.... It's not limited to one person, but a pervasive feeling. Makes you feel like a fool for plunking down thousands of dollars, only to be surrounded by misery.

I'll tell you what I did like in the Lido: smaller, and neater, servings of food. Muesli was served in small cups instead of slopped in a tray. Nice plates of cut cheeses. Smaller fruit plates with a variety of melons. More extensive varieties of breads. Some of the "Oh my god it's a pre-made sandwich" sandwiches were quite good. It seemed to keep the place cleaner and portions were more reasonable - allowing me to try more things!

We generally eat a few lunches up there and some breakfast but it was totally fine. The way you'd hear some people talk about it you would think they handed you a prison tray and some gruel.

Edited by 1884Vic

I don't know. Did they?

If I knew the answer, I would not have asked the question.

Yes, Sail, you can get your dressing in the side. :)

I know the change is probably harder for some on here because they are so use to way it was "always done in the past". At first, when I saw that I couldn't fix it myself, I was hesitant. But.....it worked great and I ate salads most days. They were so great about it....you say something you want and they will add it. If I asked for more, they add and ask me if that was good and did I want more? I would ask for a "few" onions, they add a couple and ask if that was enough. It really was painless and I never once (in 12 days) had to wait any longer than in any other line. Actually, was quicker than a lot of them. And, it meant that all the ingredients didn't get dropped and mixed up in the bar like you normally see when people are doing it on their own. Very clean. If you haven't tried it yet, you may be surprised at what an easy change it is to accept.

Yes, you can get dressing on the side.

We got salads and the new pizza on the NA quite a few lunches Even one dinner. First time in 18 cruises we have ever ate dinner in the Lido. It was nice. This was a lot of first for us. First time we ever booked a balcony ( normally inside). I am looking forward to the NA again.

On the NA in Dec the salads were made for me. On the Zdam for New Years it was self serve. The variety of salad ingredients was much bette on the NA and the bowls were nicer. When it comes to the buffet, however, HAL should take a lesson from the Celebrity Reflection. The Reflection had a great layout and the food was outstanding. That said, HALs food in the MDR and specialty restaurants is much better!

Yes, Sail, you can get your dressing in the side. :)

I know the change is probably harder for some on here because they are so use to way it was "always done in the past". At first, when I saw that I couldn't fix it myself, I was hesitant. But.....it worked great and I ate salads most days. They were so great about it....you say something you want and they will add it. If I asked for more, they add and ask me if that was good and did I want more? I would ask for a "few" onions, they add a couple and ask if that was enough. It really was painless and I never once (in 12 days) had to wait any longer than in any other line. Actually, was quicker than a lot of them. And, it meant that all the ingredients didn't get dropped and mixed up in the bar like you normally see when people are doing it on their own. Very clean. If you haven't tried it yet, you may be surprised at what an easy change it is to accept.

Thank you, Ricktan.

I base my negative thoughts about not being able to self-serve salad on what I experienced so many days of Code Orange as the first few days of every cruise used to have. It was very slow and I never got a salad the way I like it. I love mushrooms and asked for extra. The server put two mushrooms on the plate. I asked for more and the body language shot off a very clear message I was being a 'royal pain'. It was inconvenient and became embarrassing. I don't want to account to some young server for how many mushrooms or whatever I want in my salad.

That is just my experience. Hopefully they have been trained to be a bit more eager to please. We all like our salad the way we want it. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I agree with 99% of what you said cruz chic but I was not as nice about it, which is why I deleted it. I don't like dressing on top - it grosses me out - so I put it on the side or in an unobtrusive place in the bowl.

I was annoyed because we just booked a TA yesterday and as I am reading through the board the past few days there is so much negativity and nonsense. Chairs don't look comfortable (they haven't been sat on), that carpet is ugly (it's not in your house), I don't like ____.... It's not limited to one person, but a pervasive feeling. Makes you feel like a fool for plunking down thousands of dollars, only to be surrounded by misery.

I'll tell you what I did like in the Lido: smaller, and neater, servings of food. Muesli was served in small cups instead of slopped in a tray. Nice plates of cut cheeses. Smaller fruit plates with a variety of melons. More extensive varieties of breads. Some of the "Oh my god it's a pre-made sandwich" sandwiches were quite good. It seemed to keep the place cleaner and portions were more reasonable - allowing me to try more things!

We generally eat a few lunches up there and some breakfast but it was totally fine. The way you'd hear some people talk about it you would think they handed you a prison tray and some gruel.

I don't think it's a big secret to anyone on here but I'm not the most positive person in the world. That said, things change. That's a reality of life. There is still more good about Hal than bad although my last few cruises have challenged that. I'm not afraid to change cruise lines if things keep going in a way that doesn't suit me. If the salad doesn't work I don't think I'll starve:D.

I would never touch a ready made sandwich that will never happen. I hear on the WC they quickly brought back the sandwich maker so if there are enough complaints then it might change.

I would never give up cruising because I can't make my own salad. But I will see how it works out. The grill was interesting. Like I said, getting across what I wanted was like the old game of telephone. Eventually I had to bypass the order taker to talk to the cook, but he has to fill out a ticket for each order.

Thank you, Ricktan.

I base my negative thoughts about not being able to self-serve salad on what I experienced so many days of Code Orange as the first few days of every cruise used to have. It was very slow and I never got a salad the way I like it. I love mushrooms and asked for extra. The server put two mushrooms on the plate. I asked for more and the body language shot off a very clear message I was being a 'royal pain'. It was inconvenient and became embarrassing. I don't want to account to some young server for how many mushrooms or whatever I want in my salad.

That is just my experience. Hopefully they have been trained to be a bit more eager to please. We all like our salad the way we want it. :)

That would aggravate me too! I think I was pretty lucky with the two behind the salad bar. I'm sure the personal will make or break the experience for everyone and we will hear conflicting tales in the days to come :eek:

Thank you, Ricktan.

That's what bothers me too and it has happened to me. I had a situation in the lido a few years back. I wanted a few different items but the server was more interested in talking to his bestie. I asked nicely if they could continue their conversation after I was served as he was having a problem listening to me. He pushed the plate back to me and said I have enough. To say I was livid is an understatement. I did complain as this was totally unjustified. I honestly think they get bonuses based on food savings. I'd be shocked if they didn't.

The salad station was great and few weeks ago. They made the salads but had no problems adding as much or little of what I wanted. You can have dressing on it tossed or on the side. I got a salad every day along with others items from the carving station or what have you. My wife likes dressing on the side and they got it confused and put the dressing on the salad. They made her a new salad with no issues.