Istanbul

worldtravellerrus

It already has. Other that cruises that originated in Istanbnul there are no more port stops. Would think if things got uglier those would be changed as well, but that creates difficulties with thousands of people that are getting on and off the ships. I note that there have not been major incidents there and DW and family and I all felt both welcome and safer there than in Rome.

Istanbul would have been dropped from many cruises simply because the port dock is being rebuilt so little space to dock. Tendering there would be impossible with all the boat traffic.

The other stops in Turkey are smaller cities and far away from demonstrations etc.

It already has. Other that cruises that originated in Istanbnul there are no more port stops. Would think if things got uglier those would be changed as well, but that creates difficulties with thousands of people that are getting on and off the ships. I note that there have not been major incidents there and DW and family and I all felt both welcome and safer there than in Rome.

Istanbul would have been dropped from many cruises simply because the port dock is being rebuilt so little space to dock. Tendering there would be impossible with all the boat traffic.

The other stops in Turkey are smaller cities and far away from demonstrations etc.

see the post immediately above yours...

The German Government has warned its citizens against travelling to Turkey, not just Istanbul, but Turkey.

Wonder how this is going to impact Celebrity's cruises?

Can you post a link that confirms this statement?

All I am seeing so far is that German government is "warning its citizens to avoid crowds outside tourist attractions in Turkey." Which isn't quite the same.

Germany's Foreign Ministry warned on its website that further violent clashes and "terrorist attacks" are expected across Turkey.

All I am seeing so far is that German government is "warning its citizens to avoid crowds outside tourist attractions in Turkey." Which isn't quite the same.

Germany's Foreign Ministry warned on its website that further violent clashes and "terrorist attacks" are expected across Turkey.

I cannot access the link you provided from where I am currently.

However, what you state above seems to be a warning to be careful, not necessarily a warning to NOT travel to Turkey. :confused:

today 10 dead 9 were German tourists

Safe? Safe is not being in the wrong place at the wrong time. San Bernadino was the wrong place and time. Much of life is luck or lack of it. Personally I would go back to Istanbul, but I would not be wearing my American flag shirt. A bit of common sense goes a long way.

Hope the Host closes this thread. Suggest reporting the problem post(s) as inappropriate.

Edited by az_tchr

We canceled our May cruise when they removed Istanbul :(. Istanbul has been number 1 on my list for the past few years. We are going to spend 2 weeks driving around France instead as we have already cruised the Western Med. One day we will make it to Istanbul, just not in 2016 :(

The news today is very sad.

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

I would also be concerned that the rising tensions between Russia & Turkey could result in the country going up in a "double flash" in the near future.

Turkey seems like a beautiful country but given the current situation in the region I have ZERO interest visiting Turkey or any other Islamic country in the region. Nothing against Arabs/Muslims/etc but its really not worth the risk at this time.

Edited by JRYMCMB

We canceled a 12-nt Eastern Med cruise in May 2016, based entirely on Celebrity's decision to eliminate an overnight in Istanbul in the middle of the itinerary. Instead the ship will port in Athens for 2 nights, and that's not of interest to us. I understand the cruise line has to take what it believes to be the safest course of action for passengers and crew...it's just not our preference, so we canceled and will make it a land vacation instead.

I would also be concerned that the rising tensions between Russia & Turkey could result in the country going up in a "double flash" in the near future.

Turkey seems like a beautiful country but given the current situation in the region I have ZERO interest visiting Turkey or any other Islamic country in the region. Nothing against Arabs/Muslims/etc but its really not worth the risk at this time.

This reflects my sentiments exactly...I've been to turkey several times as well as Egypt but that ship as they say has sailed....no more Arab/non-Jewish Middle East countries for me. The risk is not worth it when at least half the globe including many countries I haven't been to welcome American/European with open arms. This is not racist or bigoted, merely an evaluation of risk vs reward. Not every city in the world is safe at 11 at night but some risk is just flat crazy.

Having overnighted in Istanbul a couple of years ago on a Celebrity cruise I can see why it might be/has been pulled for overnight stops. Where we were docked was very odd as you opened the curtains to your stateroom on the port side and literally outside was an expanse of buildings/flats. They were just across the road but from memory the land was also on a slope upwards and so the buildings were at eye level. It didn't concern me at the time, but if I was to return now I would feel like a sitting target...not comfortable at all. I guess some ports are more private and easier to secure but in my experience this one was neither of those things.

As far as I am aware, X has not made alterations to this port-of-call? It is still on the Connie itineraries for 2016.

This is correct, as fast as I know, we lost an overnight n the 11/14 cruise but still have one on the 11/2 cruise (which includes Israel), but I'm guessing this itinerary will change drastically. Both itineraries need to happen as the ship has to get to and through the Suez Canal, but I'm guessing they will become much more Greek centric.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We are on a trans Atlantic, Reflection-April 9, ending in Rome. We have made arrangements to fly on to Istanbul for 3 nights. As of now, we are still planning to go. We will monitor the situation. We have always wanted to see Istanbul, and now is our chance.

I see some people on these boards who say they are afraid to get off the ships in certain Caribbean ports, so they just stay on the ship. It is their vacation, so they can do what they want.

Just curious: after the New York attacks on Sept 11 and the Boston bombings, did cruise ships cancel those ports? Lord help us if there is some type of terrorist incident in Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

I am not trying to be a "jerk", but just pointing out many things that should be considered. Each person has to make their own decision.